Does the ProMag 30-rd mag require a bullet guide?

Just picked up a Saiga a few days ago for a great price, but it didn't come with any mags. I picked up a couple of mags. A Surefire 10-rd mag and a ProMag (SAI-A2) 30-rd mag (also got a US-made handguard to make it ok to use the ProMag). I know, I know, people say bad things about ProMag, but it's all that was available locally. However, I haven't yet had the chance to fire the rifle.

I also have a couple of standard AK mags that aren't modified and won't lock into place in the Saiga, nor do I plan to make the necessary modifications to be able to use those mags. I've observed however, that the Promag and the AK mags' front top end and mag followers are positioned in the exact same place in relation to the chamber (like I said, the AK mags won't lock in place of course, as the catch hasn't been filed down), yet the Surefire mag, when locked in place, rides a few millimeters higher than the Promag, the Surefire seems to lock bolt on empty, by the way. Does this mean the Promag will have the same sorts of feeding issues as a standard AK mag if I don't put in a bullet guide?

my saiga specific promags failed to feed the last round every time before i installed the bullet guide. there is literally no reason not to install one and grind down the mag catch. my original mag still fits and feeds perfectly.

Edited by mr.smith
my saiga specific promags failed to feed the last round every time before i installed the bullet guide. there is literally no reason not to install one and grind down the mag catch. my original mag still fits and feeds perfectly.

The thing is, if I start using the steel Eastern Bloc-made mags, I'll have to swap out 3 more parts from the rifle. Maybe once I'm sure I like the rifle enough to keep it.

so you haven't done the trigger/pistol grip conversion yet? don't make up your mind about the rifle until you convert it, it makes all the difference. plus if you still don't like it after conversion you can sell it for about twice as much as if you don't convert it.

Nope. I'm pretty apprehensive about converting. I'm not new to guns, but new to Saiga and have had little experience with AK47's. I'll admit it, I'm too afraid to screw up a brand new rifle by attempting the conversion.

I use Promag`s in my saiga M3 and like you Im not keen on cutting back the mag catch. My M3 won`t feed the last round either so here is what i did. I just filled a little off the the bottom of the magazine Catch lug so it will hold securely in the Saiga but will also still work in a standard AK rifle. Then I supper glued a small alloy ramp on the foward toung of the Mag follower to just lift the last round to the chamber height and that was it all good to go. If I get rid of the Saiga I just need to remove the Alloy ramp and we are back to Square one. looks like saigas have just been made a banned import here in new Zealand and the price has already shot through the roof i have seen them adveritsed for $2800nz... thats about $1960 u.s dollars.........Bummer I paid $700nz for mine a year ago.

Edited by KiwiSilverfox

Nope. I'm pretty apprehensive about converting. I'm not new to guns, but new to Saiga and have had little experience with AK47's. I'll admit it, I'm too afraid to screw up a brand new rifle by attempting the conversion.

I've seen a lot of people on this site apprehensive about converting and no one has had any major issues. Search 'xbox360' and that will prove if this idiot can do it than anyone can.

Finally got a chance to try it out, fired 80 rounds total, the full 30-rd mag twice, and the full 10-rd mag twice. Functioned absolutely perfectly. Of course, generally, I don't like to make a full judgment until around 200 rounds, but so far, very satisfied. Had a WASR before, and that thing felt completely ratty and like a piece of junk compared to the Saiga. Makes me happy.

Finally got a chance to try it out, fired 80 rounds total, the full 30-rd mag twice, and the full 10-rd mag twice. Functioned absolutely perfectly. Of course, generally, I don't like to make a full judgment until around 200 rounds, but so far, very satisfied. Had a WASR before, and that thing felt completely ratty and like a piece of junk compared to the Saiga. Makes me happy.

Did you alter, change or add anything to your Promag's? :cryss:

Did you alter, change or add anything to your Promag's? :cryss:

Nope. Should I have?

• 1 month later...

Did you alter, change or add anything to your Promag's? 009.gif

Nope. Should I have?

Did you put in the bullit guide with your ProMag's or did they work fine w/o?

Nope. Should I have?

I didn't put in a bullet guide. I've since put 180 rounds through the rifle, and have on 2 occasions had an FTF on the last round of the mag, which is apparently a commonly reported phenomenon with the ProMag.

Nope. Should I have?

I didn't put in a bullet guide. I've since put 180 rounds through the rifle, and have on 2 occasions had an FTF on the last round of the mag, which is apparently a commonly reported phenomenon with the ProMag.

Thanks, because I have 4 ProMags & want the Sure Fire feature of the BHO on the last round firing. I just got my bullet guide today so I'm going to prepare to put it in soon. I ordered 5 Romanain steel mags. at $8.00 a pop, so I hope they have the BHO feature. If not.. oh well027.gif

• 2 weeks later...

Which Pro Mag magazine is it, the AK or Saiga version? The Saiga version will work without a bullet guide but the AK magazine will need one.

My experience with Pro Mag has been good and if it wasn't I would let everyone in the forum know about it. Someone at AIM Surplus told me that Pro Mag's quality control used to be bad but they got their act together. He also told me that they wouldn't sell their products if they weren't good to avoid return from unhappy customers.