Another newbie question

[[[[[[ EDIT - PROBLEM SOLVED ]]]]]]

I disassembled my new rifle tonight to give her a first cleaning and everything went smoothly until I attempted to remove the gas tube. I turned the gas tube release lever to the upward position as directed in the manual (which was super tight by the way)and tried to pull up on the end of the gas tube nearest the lever but the gas tube seems to be remained locked in place. I am not sure what else to do to get the gas tube to break free. Suggestions please!

If this has been discussed in the past, sorry for asking about it again, however the search function on this forum didn't yield any helpful results for me.

Edited by fishkiller

did you remove the bolt carrier.

?

did you remove the bolt carrier?

Yes, the rifle was field stripped, i.e. dust cover removed, recoil spring assembly removed, bolt carrier removed.

Having never personally cleaned an AK before I watched the following video to get a quick rundown on the procedure. (Note at 2:15 he removes the gas tube quite easily...unlike me. Also his release lever is much, MUCH looser than mine)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a_uYxVM-gGQ

Edited by fishkiller

Wiggle the release lever while pulling up on the rear of the gas tube.

Cant imagine even being physically able to 'wiggle' the lever, as it is already so tight and difficult to turn. I will attempt it though tomorrow morning and post the results. Thanks for the suggestion.

If you can't "wiggle" it, move it slowly across it's arc, while pulling up on the gas tube.

It all amounts to the same thing: finding the "window" that will allow the gas tube to come past . .

I always just stick the slot on the side of the cleaning kit that came with mine right on the notch for the release lever and it moves nice and easy. That works a lot better than tapping a screwdriver. It just gives more leverage. You can look down inside and see it's a half cylinder style catch that rotates when you pull the lever. You just have to make sure you pull it up far enough the catch clears on the way out. Should come off just fine.

I always just stick the slot on the side of the cleaning kit that came with mine right on the notch for the release lever and it moves nice and easy. That works a lot better than tapping a screwdriver. It just gives more leverage. You can look down inside and see it's a half cylinder style catch that rotates when you pull the lever. You just have to make sure you pull it up far enough the catch clears on the way out. Should come off just fine.

I also use the slot on the side of the cleaning kit to turn the lever and it works fine.

I have been looking down inside while turning it and notice when the catch system you refer to seems to be clear of the edge of the gas tube, yet I still cannot budge the thing.

I tried everyone's suggestions about trying to find the window/sweet spot, wiggling, etc. but to no avail. Makes me feel like an invalid lol.

Perhaps I am forgetting an all important step. Do I need to remove the handguard first before I can release the gas tube???

----By the way, thanks to everyone who has chimed in trying to help, its much appreciated----

Edited by fishkiller

Well, I ended up being able to remove the gas tube, but only after using the flathead piece provided in the cleaning kit to gently pry between the handguard edge and under the gas tube moving it upward. It seems that the gas tube on my rife has no play back and forth whatsoever and will require this prying technique every time I wish to remove the gas tube (or some filing to loosen her up a bit). I had to lightly tap the tube back in with a rubber mallet to get it to re-seat. The lever bar thing that locks the tube in place was fully disengaged and as flush/flat as possible with the rear sight mount piece, so I was by no means bending nor damaging the tube during this procedure.

Thanks everyone for all the help. It seems that my rifle is just quite tightly assembled (better than loose!).

Edited by fishkiller