Shorter Tromix stock?

Hi guys.

I need to start off by saying I LOVE MY TROMIX STOCK WITH LIMBSAVER PAD! It sucks up the recoil like Rosey O'Donnel sucks up milkshakes. :rolleyes:

The one thing I would change about it though would be to have it shorter. Once you add a folding mechanism (and possibly a receiver block, if you don't have a Tromix welded back plate), then add the Limbsaver pad, you're looking at a pretty long stock. It's not undo-able though. It's just a bit longer than I'd prefer. Maybe 1 or 1.5" cut down would be about right.

The main time I notice it is when doing ambidextrous transition drills where you put the butt against the opposite shoulder, but keep the strong side hand on the grip. A Warsaw length stock works great for that, but I really like the Limbsaver pad. Granted, it adds an extra inch or so, but if I can get a shorter stock, it shouldn't matter. Wearing any type of heavy jacket (or body armor I'd imagine) would exaggerate this even more.

Anyway, please don't misunderstand me and think I don't like my Tromix stock

(or my other Tromix parts). They're great. I just wish Tromix made a shorter stock. Maybe like 7 to 7.5".

Thoughts?

Corbin

Hi guys.

I need to start off by saying I LOVE MY TROMIX STOCK WITH LIMBSAVER PAD! It sucks up the recoil like Rosey O'Donnel sucks up milkshakes. :rolleyes:

The one thing I would change about it though would be to have it shorter. Once you add a folding mechanism (and possibly a receiver block, if you don't have a Tromix welded back plate), then add the Limbsaver pad, you're looking at a pretty long stock. It's not undo-able though. It's just a bit longer than I'd prefer. Maybe 1 or 1.5" cut down would be about right.

The main time I notice it is when doing ambidextrous transition drills where you put the butt against the opposite shoulder, but keep the strong side hand on the grip. A Warsaw length stock works great for that, but I really like the Limbsaver pad. Granted, it adds an extra inch or so, but if I can get a shorter stock, it shouldn't matter. Wearing any type of heavy jacket (or body armor I'd imagine) would exaggerate this even more.

Anyway, please don't misunderstand me and think I don't like my Tromix stock

(or my other Tromix parts). They're great. I just wish Tromix made a shorter stock. Maybe like 7 to 7.5".

Thoughts?

Corbin

Aside from finding another stock the simple answer is something must go...

Do you really need the folding mechanism? If so then time to "Man Up" and loose the limbsaver...

Less can be more.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I would like to see two different size offerings as well.

IMG_6190.jpg?t=1255458680IMG_6209.jpg?t=1255545917

If the Tromix stock was even a half inch shorter, then one would have the option of attaching it so it could fold to either side. As it is, it is just long enough to hit the charging handle.

We've got a machined aluminum stock in the works that has an integral hinge built into it. When we get that out, I'll see what I can do about machining some different lengths.

I can probably get Richard Lage to make another mold for shorter polymer stocks, but if there is not enough demand for it, I hate to see him waste a bunch of time making a mold just to build a few of them.

Tony

I can probably get Richard Lage to make another mold for shorter polymer stocks, but if there is not enough demand for it, I hate to see him waste a bunch of time making a mold just to build a few of them.

Tony

I can definitely understand the money aspect of it all. If there's not a demand for it, you might not recoup your costs. I'm not sure if my stock can be effectively altered though. Having spent $150.00 on it, I'm unlikely to start cutting into it either. :cryss:

My primary reason for wanting a more Warsaw length is that off-hand transitions (where you might shoot off the left shoulder, but with the right finger still on the trigger, for a righty) is easier with a shorter stock. That's what convinced me to lose my vertical grip up front. Less tended to be more for me in this respect.

Thanks Tony for making such awesome parts and such awesome versions of the Saigas. You da man!

Corbin

Richard needs to keep working on those .22 mags for his MAX-11/22 conversion. Do not sidetrack the man! I need that kit! Gonna be awesome! Tony and Richard are two of the most innovative guys in the NFA world as well as the best ever in customer service. I'm proud to own both an S17 and a MAX-11. :smoke:

We've got a machined aluminum stock in the works that has an integral hinge built into it. When we get that out, I'll see what I can do about machining some different lengths.

Tony

Looking forward to this. Any idea when we can see some pics?

Thanks.

And if I may make 2 (hopefully helpful) suggestions.

1. There simply is no other aftermarket stock for the AK that looks nearly as OEM. That is in large part due to

the wide attaching base that was designed to match the contours of the end of the rifle, making a seamless

transition from rifle to stock. Please keep that look if at all possible/practicable.

2. Instead of the expense of a longer and shorter version, if you could just trim a half inch (perhaps 1/4 inch

of length from each side) so as to give the user the possibility of a left or right side folding capability.

Looking forward to the first pics!

Edited by Belloc