New Trigger Guard / Mag Catch...

I started tearing down my x39 to do the conversion. I purchased my conversion kit from K-VAR just to clarify incase some of you were wondering where my parts came from. ANYWAY... the trigger guard looks like it going to be a real B*tch to install due to the fact that ive got 4 rivets to remove without ruining the selector stop and some holes to drill in the new trigger guard for the Mag catch to work. PLEASE HELP ME! can i get some detailed instructions and maybe even a few pics on how to do this the CORRECT way? I know some people around here care only about function and some only about looks, but i want to do this the RIGHT and most professional way possible

thanks in advance...

I think you spent too much money.

That 'upgrade kit' isn't worth it, IMHO.

The original trigger guard can be (and usually is) reused w/o having to purchase any tools or send your rifle out for rivet work.

well, whats done is done....what can i do about it?

by the way...who does rivet work these days? can a regular gunsmith do it?

There are jigs you can get to remove the rivets from the old mag catch tower. I dremeled mine and screwed up the selector stop and ended up buying a new one from AK Builder (he has nice stuff BTW). What I really want to know is how do you line up and drill the holes in the trigger guard for the mag catch?

The original trigger guard can be (and usually is) reused w/o having to purchase any tools or send your rifle out for rivet work.

Have you torn your rifle up yet, in preparation of installing this?

If not, you can easily sell the trigger guard to someone with an AK kit that doesn't have one.

. . and no, "regular gunsmiths' for the most part have no freakin' clue about building / working on Kalashnikovs.

You're gonna end up paying a couple hundred dollars to a remote AK gunsmith for installation, or a couple hundred dollars for the tooling to "do it right", or you're gonna end up with screws holding it together.

IMHO, it's gonna be lots easier to sell the trigger guard to someone that actually needs it and reuse the factory trigger guard.

Have you torn your rifle up yet, in preparation of installing this?

If not, you can easily sell the trigger guard to someone with an AK kit that doesn't have one.

. . and no, "regular gunsmiths' for the most part have no freakin' clue about building / working on Kalashnikovs.

You're gonna end up paying a couple hundred dollars to a remote AK gunsmith for installation, or a couple hundred dollars for the tooling to "do it right", or you're gonna end up with screws holding it together.

IMHO, it's gonna be lots easier to sell the trigger guard to someone that actually needs it and reuse the factory trigger guard.

You're absolutely right...so i came to this conclusion lastnight while i was aimlessly wandering around work with nothing to do. Go with me on this...Heres my plan: i was thinking about all the awesome lil mods that people like Dinzag, DPH, and various others are making, and i decided that i want to come up with a way to use 5 domed hexhead or torque screws (4 for the front 1 in the back) that i will size up to the original rivit size to fit the holes and just go that route. Im pretty mechanically inclined with a really inovative mindset, and i think with a lil Loctite, it will be every bit solid as Rivets would be and easily removable for repainting and other maintenance purposes at a later time and for all the CA people that i was referring to in my "REVERSIBLE CONVERSION" thread i wrote about a week ago... I decided to take it upon myself to create a reversible conversion since nobody else seems to want to do it!

*NOTE* As Tacticool so intelligently pointed out...how do you lineup and drill the holes where the Mag Catch is going to be? This is something i am still trying to overcome... please input any knowledge on this matter that you may have...

More to come, stay tuned...

Edited by RoughRider666

You're absolutely right...so i came to this conclusion lastnight while i was aimlessly wandering around work with nothing to do. Go with me on this...Heres my plan: i was thinking about all the awesome lil mods that people like Dinzag, DPH, and various others are making, and i decided that i want to come up with a way to use 5 domed hexhead or torque screws (4 for the front 1 in the back) that i will size up to the original rivit size to fit the holes and just go that route. Im pretty mechanically inclined with a really inovative mindset, and i think with a lil Loctite, it will be every bit solid as Rivets would be and easily removable for repainting and other maintenance purposes at a later time and for all the CA people that i was referring to in my "REVERSIBLE CONVERSION" thread i wrote about a week ago... I decided to take it upon myself to create a reversible conversion since nobody else seems to want to do it!

It's easy.

8/32 cap head screws.

8/32 lock washers

8/32 nuts

You'll need to grind the nuts so they fit up next to the receiver wall (side benefit: they won't turn on you while you're tightening the screws)

Folks have been doing this for ages.

You're missing my point, though.

Why are you gonna tear off your perfectly good mag catch, when all you have to do is re-use your original trigger guard?

It's easy.

8/32 cap head screws.

8/32 lock washers

8/32 nuts

You'll need to grind the nuts so they fit up next to the receiver wall (side benefit: they won't turn on you while you're tightening the screws)

Folks have been doing this for ages.

You're missing my point, though.

Why are you gonna tear off your perfectly good mag catch, when all you have to do is re-use your original trigger guard?

i DO see your point about the original Mag Catch and i agree with you but... I have seen a few reused trigger guards get butchered in the process by either getting bent all to hell and looking really shitty or people drilling with a bit thats too big and the holes are too big not leaving enough "meat" on either side, thus compromising the integrity of the trigger guard itself.

like i said, i CAN and i WILL find a way to make this work...my only dilemma is getting that whole drilled in the right spot and the right size for the new Mag Catch...any ideas?

BTW: would Lock Nuts work for this? it would just be easier to cut out the lock washers and simplify things a bit with less parts, ya know?

Edited by RoughRider666

i DO see your point about the original Mag Catch and i agree with you but... I have seen a few reused trigger guards get butchered in the process by either getting bent all to hell and looking really shitty or people drilling with a bit thats too big and the holes are too big not leaving enough "meat" on either side, thus compromising the integrity of the trigger guard itself.

like i said, i CAN and i WILL find a way to make this work...my only dilemma is getting that whole drilled in the right spot and the right size for the new Mag Catch...any ideas?

BTW: would Lock Nuts work for this? it would just be easier to cut out the lock washers and simplify things a bit with less parts, ya know?

Can't help ya, dude.

I reuse the trigger guards on my conversions (like most of us do [guess we're all not as ham-handed as you've been reading or something]).

Can't help ya, dude.

I reuse the trigger guards on my conversions (like most of us do [guess we're all not as ham-handed as you've been reading or something]).

Whats that supposed to mean? Are you mocking me because i want to try something different? I thought this country was founded with Brave Warriors & Innovation...

Edited by RoughRider666

Whats that supposed to mean? Are you mocking me because i want to try something different? I thought this country was founded with Brave Warriors & Innovation...

No, I'm saying that the vast majority of what you read on the forums is when things go wrong.

You see, when things go right, folks don't feel it necessary to crow about it (although they do tend to show off their completed project).

You can do what you like, as it's your gun.

Lots of folks have used a military trigger guard on their rifle, but my opinion is that it's a lot of risk/expense for 0 gain.

Can't help ya, dude.

Ugh, we've got another one.

Dude, the first thing you will realize here is people don't mince words, especially not nalioth. Using nuts and bolts isn't innovation nor something "different", it is a tried and true method.

Can't help ya, dude.

Ugh, we've got another one.

Dude, the first thing you will realize here is people don't mince words, especially not nalioth. Using nuts and bolts isn't innovation nor something "different", it is a tried and true method.

its a tried and true method, but nobody is in a hurry to help me find a way to drill the holes for the mag catch...

its a tried and true method, but nobody is in a hurry to help me find a way to drill the holes for the mag catch...

The screws are the "tried and true" method, not the military trigger guard assembly.

The reason you're not getting much help is that the vast majority of us DO NOT REMOVE OUR FACTORY MAG CATCH.

to drill the hole use your old mag catch as a template draw it out then transfer it to the new mag catch area.

thanks man, i DO appriciate your support! atleast someone cares...lol As for you nalioth...i guess im just a rebel. LOL! No hard feelings man.

Edited by RoughRider666

There are jigs you can get to remove the rivets from the old mag catch tower. I dremeled mine and screwed up the selector stop and ended up buying a new one from AK Builder (he has nice stuff BTW). What I really want to know is how do you line up and drill the holes in the trigger guard for the mag catch?

FYI I carry all of AK Builders stuff in my Business sub-forum store....

If you need a reusable factory TG that hasn't been butchered all to shit, but has been rebent correctly and drilled for the correct size fastener up front...I sell those too.