I'm going down south in a couple of weeks and seeing as there is a 600 yard range and none over 100 yards in my state it seems like a good chance to practice some long range shots with my bolt action. I know you need the special TSA locks and declare it before you enter the airport but I was wondering if any of you had any personal experience with this...

I have one of those hard plastic rifle cases that came with my rifle. The ones with foam inside, two holes for locks on the two corners that probably cost around $20-25. Have any of you used one of those for air travel before or do I need to go out and drop $100 on one of the more durable ones?

Also, am I going to have trouble getting my cleaning supplies (minus the lube/solvents, I know they won't be allowed), my spotting scope, etc as carry on? I don't want to end up having to throw anything away or miss my flight. I already shipped the ammo I made down there.

I'm just getting a little freaked out that with the "promised" H1N1 outbreak coming they will step up security and I will have a lot of trouble with this. I don't want to let this opportunity go, the only 200 yard range in state has been closed down for years due to a lawsuit (somebody shot their own house because they don't like the noise even though the range has been there before the houses were) and I'm pretty sure there aren't any other options in the surrounding states.

Any input would be appreciated. Thanks!

(I know there are plenty of sources on the Internet talking about this subject, I have read a lot of them already, I just want to hear from some people who have actually done it first hand and what the experience was like)

Drive. Fuck flying. Fuck airlines. Fuck TSA.

It's 1252 miles, I have 3 days off from work, not an option. It's the only 3 days off I've had in a row in 3 years, and will probably be the last until I find a better gig. I would love to drive but I just wouldn't have the time or energy to have have a blast down there.

If you have to fly, call the airline in advance and ask for their policies, also ask them if you can get additional insurance on your item for loss or damage.

Here's the TSA Traveling with Special Items page..

http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtravel/assistant/editorial_1666.shtm

Shipping a firearm in an airplane is a good way to have some fucktard at the TSA break or steal your rifle (yes both have happened), you might want to consider shipping the firearm via USPS to yourself. I've shipped many rifles via USPS with no problem. Generally, I will tape up the gun case and put zip-ties through the lock holes, then I slap a shipping label on and buy insurance.

Since it is out of state, I would need to ship to an FFL I don't know and trust. I have looked over South West's policies and I'm good to go, just need to figure out if I'm good on the case or not. I should probably just get a heavy duty one but I'm strapped for cash (I just waited out a tooth ache for 2 weeks so I could buy another Saiga, I've got my priorities straight :ded: ).

Anyone do it before and have no problems. I'm just looking for some odds of getting F'd by some worker. It would seem that theft of a firearm is less likely to happen "post 9/11" at an airport. I would bet that an airport employee stealing a firearm would get a little more time than a regular Joe, but who knows.

OK, here is how it works. I have had to do this many times.

Put the rifle in a lockable case. It must be packed separate from the ammo. You will have a bigger problem carrying a lot of ammo then checking a firearm. I once lost out on a paid Blackwater course because of this! Sometimes it pays to call ahead an talk to someone with a name about any new policy they have it place.

When you get to baggage check-in tell the agent that you are checking a firearm. They will most likely want to inspect that the firearm is not loaded, or may just ask you. Either way have the case unlocked when you get there. They may ask TSA to inspect it as well. Now a days, they usually do. They may also decide to inspect it again later, in which case they will cut your locks off. That is just the way in now works.

If it is a bolt action I would remove the bolt or somehow otherwise make it as obvious that the firearm is in a safe condition. This hopefully prevents them from parading it around for the public and their own internal baggage thieves. I also run a cable lock through the action. They will ask you to sign a red card that will attest that the firearm is safe. They should put this card on the inside of the case, but they may try and put it on the outside. If they do tell them, gently, that it belongs on the inside. If they argue, ask for a supervisor. This is a big problem as it flags the firearm for the aforementioned thieves.

Then go get on your flight, and when you get to your destination say a prayer that your firearm made it as well. If you don't see it on the baggage carousel, don't panic, yet... Sometime large or odd shaped items must be picked up at your airline's baggage claim desk. This is the same place that you would go to pickup or claim lost luggage.

Make sure that you have the model and serial number recorded separately with you, in case you have to file a police report. You will most likely have to file it with the jurisdiction that you flew out of, as that presumably is the last place that you saw it. Make sure that the police report gets reported ASAP to the local pawn desk and that the rifle is entered as a stolen item on NCIC. Then make sure to keep the police up to date if or when you move as to your new contact information.

I would make sure that I had extra insurance on it, these things do get stolen and "lost." Ask me how I know! But the odds are that everything will turn out just fine, it is just not a sure thing!

Be sure and go by a music store and pick up a few Gibson or Les Paul stickers and put them on the case. It helps!

Edited by Azrial

The longer I've been here the more I get amazed by this state. Apparently if I shipped the rifle to an FFL in Florida, then ship it back to my guy in Connecticut, even though it is my own rifle, I will need to do a two week waiting period as if I just bought the rifle.

I wanted to do the FFL route but waiting two weeks to get my own rifle back is just too ridiculous. Guess I'll be going the baggage route if I even do it at all.

In the for-what-it's-worth category, you have to go through almost the same thing with golf clubs, snowboards, guitars, etc. They are even more obvious, are easier to pick up and walk off with, and are probably easier to pawn as there is no NCIC. I've done this many many times and it's virutally the same process Azrial describes. I've never had a problem, BUT I always get freaked out when they don't show up with the rest of the baggage. I also agree with Azrial on uglifying your gear up.

I also like to use my green laser during presentations and it goes through TSA as a carry on just fine. Same with binoculars. The scope should be fine, but I can just some TSAtard holding it up and going, "Um, price check on whatever the hell this thing is! Who's is this?! Sir?!!?! Is this a SNIPERscope!?"

Logically, I have to imagine that people take and move guns on airlines all the time. Logic tells me it should be fine. I've been wondering this myself and on my current trip asked Southwest about it. The nice lady at the counter smiled and explained it just like their website policy says. And her words, "We do this all the time. You might want to come a bit earlier is all in case security needs to ask you questions."

Final thought... checking in a gun will most likely flag you for extra security. The sniffers will grab solvents and gun powder residue so, I'd recommend not touching your gun's inner parts... like removing your bolt just before checking in.

If you're shipping the rifle to yourself, even at a different address, you don't need an FFL because no transfer occurs. If you're staying with friends, or even at a hotel, just ship it in a locked case to which only you have the key. Ship it addressed to yourself.

I just did this, within the last two weeks. It's pretty much like Azrial said except, the ammo can go in the case, per TSA, as long as it is in the original box or in a reloading plastic box. Just had to pick up the rifle at the airline office once the baggage came up. I left the bolt and magazine out. I didn't use a plastic case due to watching baggage handlers. There was a limit on how much ammo you could have but don't remember.

You can also ship firearms overnight from yourself at Address A to yourself at Address B. Package must be signed for by you of course.

Not out of state... And if I ship it back to my own state I will have to wait 2 weeks as if I had just bought it. Unless you know of some law I don't know, shipping firearms across state lines requires an FFL.

And TSA locks are??? Special locks??? or just some form of cable lock to go around the case??

The DHS/Whatever security at the airport have a master key to them so they can open them, its a must have for a firearm being checked as baggage. I could google what TSA stands for but I assume it's something to do with Those Stupid Assholes at DHS, but I could be wrong.

EDIT: Come to think of it, it is Transport Security Administration and if they don't like you they administer some sort of enema to make sure you aren't packing any ammo in your kiester...

Edited by ThirtyAughtSix