Q2: Can no other system do what it does for personal computing?

A: Yes, very fucking yes. You cannot use any other OS.

No way. Is there more software available for it? Yes. But your everyday user can use another OS without a problem. All the 'big' stuff is available for Mac (Office, Adobe, etc) and the Linux' have alternatives that do what they can't get from the mainstream. Unless of course they want to load a silly screen saver that was emailed to them...

Well PCing for me is like maybe 5 things:

1. Gaming: Only PC gaming is worth half a second of your entire life. Maybe N64 games are worth playing through once, but man... that's about it. And this means using Windows. Sure a couple xbox360 port games have come out on mac, but they're awful.

2. Surfing the net, and all that entails. I want things to work, not almost work. Mac fails at this, Linux fails at this.

3. Editing: Mac can do this as well, for what it can run.

4. IMing: they can all do it.

5. Playing music: all again, but for iTunes, windows is the worst as Mac has windows iTunes run really really really really badly to get people to switch to mac after they screw up that persons PC

6. Random programs for screwing around: This is 99.999% Windows territory here as well.

And lastly, Mac charges people $1500 for a $40 motherboard, $20 DVD drive, and $100 processor. There's no way around that, their systems are awful for the price. You want the videocard I used 7 years ago? Go pay $300 for it.

1. Gaming: Only PC gaming is worth half a second of your entire life. Maybe N64 games are worth playing through once, but man... that's about it. And this means using Windows. Sure a couple xbox360 port games have come out on mac, but they're awful.

I'm a console gamer that's why I have an XBox. I am running World of Warcraft on my Mac though.

2. Surfing the net, and all that entails. I want things to work, not almost work. Mac fails at this, Linux fails at this.

...uh... wha? It does everything, flash, java, etc. If the Mac or Linux had issues browsing the web they wouldn't have any users.

Editing what? Word Doc's, HTML, C++? It does that too.

5. Playing music: all again, but for iTunes, windows is the worst as Mac has windows iTunes run really really really really badly to get people to switch to mac after they screw up that persons PC

Shit I don't even buy from iTunes. I buy from Amazon MP3 and use iTunes as the front end. Windows has dozens of MP3 players to choose from. Saying Apple makes iTunes run crappy on Windows just to get people to switch is silly.

6. Random programs for screwing around: This is 99.999% Windows territory here as well.

There are thousands of random programs for Mac and Linux. You just don't see them because you're a Windows user.

Ill give that to Windows, they dominate the marketshare in gaming. Well of course they do when they strong armed people into using THEIR Direct X renderer over the open source OpenGL.

Firefox and Opera work just as well in Linux and OSX. As does flash, embedded video, and all that other crap.

What tacticool said... editing what? Movies? Software exists for all 3 platforms. Editing Sound files? Software exists for all 3. Images? Software exists for all 3. FREE software for Linux mind you.

Itunes is shit. Its a memory hog and the online store is a DRM'd overpriced pile of crap. Same as Tacticool, Amazon MP3 is a much better alternative to the Itunes store. As a frontend I use Songbird. Its basically opensource Itunes. It used to suck but now it is great.

Lol Wut?? There exist endless programs on all 3 platforms.

I'm a console gamer that's why I have an XBox. I am running World of Warcraft on my Mac though.

I can't deal with console games, they're massively dumbed down. If I was 12, I'd love them. Or if my fingers fell off and I needed autoaim in every game I play. Games that play themselves are awesome.

...uh... wha? It does everything, flash, java, etc. If the Mac or Linux had issues browsing the web they wouldn't have any users.

Except that it does everything badly. Nothing will sync, nothing will work on command. They used to run things faster, now Mac OS is bloated and is ungodly slow.

Editing what? Word Doc's, HTML, C++? It does that too.

Yeah, that's why I fuckin' said it can. Writing isn't a problem, running is.

Shit I don't even buy from iTunes. I buy from Amazon MP3 and use iTunes as the front end. Windows has dozens of MP3 players to choose from. Saying Apple makes iTunes run crappy on Windows just to get people to switch is silly.

Why would you spend money on MP3s? They're like the console version of music. I'm not gonna go and fight alongside you in the loudness war. I'd rather nuke your side until nothing remains but dust.

There are thousands of random programs for Mac and Linux. You just don't see them because you're a Windows user.

I know there are thousands not for windows. That doesn't change the fact that 99.999% of all of them are for Windows.

Ill give that to Windows, they dominate the marketshare in gaming. Well of course they do when they strong armed people into using THEIR Direct X renderer over the open source OpenGL.

Yes. Because nobody else is large enough for it to matter, and they'd be stupid to not use the most advanced system.

Firefox and Opera work just as well in Linux and OSX. As does flash, embedded video, and all that other crap.

They can't even run gifs correctly. They add random bits of time to mp3 and wav files so that they fail in their uses too.

What tacticool said... editing what? Movies? Software exists for all 3 platforms. Editing Sound files? Software exists for all 3. Images? Software exists for all 3. FREE software for Linux mind you.

Yeah, that's probably why I said Mac can do editing. Why did two people quote me and say I said something else?

Itunes is shit. Its a memory hog and the online store is a DRM'd overpriced pile of crap. Same as Tacticool, Amazon MP3 is a much better alternative to the Itunes store. As a frontend I use Songbird. Its basically opensource Itunes. It used to suck but now it is great.

MP3s are junk.

Lol Wut?? There exist endless programs on all 3 platforms.

By all 3, you mean PC only, right? Sure, there are third party mac programs out there! Maybe even up to a quarter of a percent of them are for Macs.

Also, I noticed neither of you touched the fact that Macs are $1500 motherboards. It's hype.

Yes. Because nobody else is large enough for it to matter, and they'd be stupid to not use the most advanced system.

OpenGL is just as good a choice if not better than DirectX due to licensing. The problem is Microsoft dominates the PC market and game developers want to sell on the dominant platform. Well Microsoft of course is going to push using their Proprietary render over the other. But that does not mean OpenGL is any lesser a choice. Like those Pixar movies? They're designed in OpenGL based systems.

Notable programs that run OpenGL:

Spore

Unreal Tournament 3

World Of Warcraft

Adobe Photoshop, Illustrator, Flash

They can't even run gifs correctly. They add random bits of time to mp3 and wav files so that they fail in their uses too.

What??? I have never had an issue like this in Linux or OSX. What the hell are you talking about?

MP3s are junk.

True, but you're throwing a red herring here. We aren't discussing audio formats. BTW, Linux and OSX and Windows support all audio formats.

By all 3, you mean PC only, right? Sure, there are third party mac programs out there! Maybe even up to a quarter of a percent of them are for Macs.

No, I mean all 3.

Also, I noticed neither of you touched the fact that Macs are $1500 motherboards. It's hype.

Well, I'm not disagreeing with this. Apple products are overpriced.

I can't deal with console games, they're massively dumbed down. If I was 12, I'd love them. Or if my fingers fell off and I needed autoaim in every game I play. Games that play themselves are awesome.

Well I'm not 12 and I enjoy console games. I can also guarantee there is no Autoaim in Call of Duty PVP.

Except that it does everything badly. Nothing will sync, nothing will work on command. They used to run things faster, now Mac OS is bloated and is ungodly slow.

It does everything badly? How many Mac's do you own? Stop stating your opinion as fact.

Yeah, that's why I fuckin' said it can. Writing isn't a problem, running is.

You said "Mac can do this as well, for what it can run." It can run everything. Sounds like you just wanted to make an attack on it then.

Why would you spend money on MP3s? They're like the console version of music. I'm not gonna go and fight alongside you in the loudness war. I'd rather nuke your side until nothing remains but dust.

I spend money on MP3's because I choose to. If you advocate pirating then more power to you. I'm about as serious about music as I am about gaming (ie. my life doesn't revolve around it).

I know there are thousands not for windows. That doesn't change the fact that 99.999% of all of them are for Windows.

Yeah junk. If you want junk on your PC go for it. If it's a good app by a mainstream company it'll be available on a Mac.

One more time. I don't care if you run Windows. Really. I run a Mac because I like it better and it does everything I need it to. I've dual booted Windows since I got my laptop and I found I have no need for it whatsoever. Sorry if that hurts your feelings but please stop arguing on a basis of ignorance. Yes, Mac's are more expensive and yes there are less games for it but they are far more stable and have all the software the majority of computer users will need.

• Like 1

One more time. I don't care if you run Windows. Really. I run a Mac because I like it better and it does everything I need it to. I've dual booted Windows since I got my laptop and I found I have no need for it whatsoever. Sorry if that hurts your feelings but please stop arguing on a basis of ignorance. Yes, Mac's are more expensive and yes there are less games for it but they are far more stable and have all the software the majority of computer users will need.

+1

THIS. Just replace "windows" with whatever you hate and "Mac" with whatever OS you like. In otherwords it doesn't matter what you run and like. It's all an opinion in the end. We're just correcting fallacies.

• Like 1

Now I've had good experiences with all (4) of the Dell computers I have purchased. The wife and I purchased our 15 year old son a new Alienware computer last christmas. My only problem was finding a Vista 64bit wireless card because I did not wish to run a ethernet cable upstairs. I bought my daughter a Dell notebook at the same time and they have been great computers. Even the 3-4 year old desktop Dells were hassel free. I stopped building computers prior to the purchase of the initial Dells. There is simply no justifiable reason for me to do so. Even the cheapest Dell/Gateway...ect, propriety conputer is more than fast enough for my needs. Hopefully in the next year or two when I have to upgrade my son's Alienware computer it will go smoothly. So far it has played all his games flawlessly. I remember having to upgrade his computer every 6 months or so...now that was a PITA! Hell, I remember when 64 megs of ram was unheard of, and thinking why anyone would ever need a huge 10 gig harddrive. Still, it was fun ebaying for the parts to build a new computer then get it assembled and running.

Wow, this turned into an all out operating system debate. I've never messed around with Mac OSX but the guy that did the graphics on my old band's cd and t-shirts swore by it...too pricey for me though. I used Windows until recently when Linux Mint 64 came out and now I'm never going back. I ran my system monitor with XP, Vista, and Mint and let me tell ya, Mint uses so little resources to run, XP was acceptable, Vista was freakin' criminal in it's ineficiency! My wife even made the switch to Mint, it's like Ubunto but a lot more user friendly. You still got to play around with some aps, but once it's in, they run smooth. If gaming is an issue-because it's the only thing Windows is better at, do a dual boot or virtualize. You can run all 3 o.s.'s on one pc. I've already hit attack websites with Linux/Mozilla and zero viruses. Try that with Windows and you'll be sorry.

Windows=life without walls.

Linux=life without Gates.