quick, harmless handguard question

I can't believe 5.45 Saigas are finally here. Just in the nick of time to save me from buying an Atlantic Tantal (original barrel). I'm on unemployment and I need to save every penny.

Toward that end, can you guys tell me what would be the cheapest way to install a standard AK74 handguard (with top and bottom halves) on a Saiga 5.45? Can one simply use old AK47 gas tubes? (assuming they are easy to find) What of the lower retainer?

Thanks!

M@A

There's a few options for the lower retainer. You can:

-shell out the money to buy Dinzag's bolt on retainer for $85(not exactly cheap, but it works)

-pick up a press on retainer for around $50, but you'll have to remove the front sight block and gas block to get it on the right way

-pick up a press on retainer and modify it to go on like a bolt on retainer(done, but supposedly a pain in the ass)

-decide looks be damned, and use a hose clamp

You can use the standard AK gas tube,and while some fitting may be required, most of mine have gone right on without modification.

One trick I've used for a cheap, if somewhat annoying lower solution is as follows:

1. Get yourself a standard AK lower handgaurd retainer. (I like the ones with the sling swivel made on it, like the AMD65 and many Bulgarian AK74 retainers.)

2. Use a punch to CAREFULLY drive out the locking lever.

3. Secure the retainer in vise, using wood blocks to keep from marring the metal.

4. Cut a nice large slot across(in line with the barrel). I use an angle grinder whith a fresh wheel, it seems to keep things squared up better. Make your slot as clean as possible, and as wide as you can, allowing of course enough meat in the sides to get your locking lever back in.

If you don't know many dirty words, google 'PROFANITY' and look some up. You'll need them going forward...

5. Now you've got to squeeze the retainer onto the barrel, utilizing the slot you made, and of course, making sure you get the thing on in the correct direction...don't put it on backwards!!! I use a good vise...It seems to go easier that way, although I have used vise grips. Oiling the involved parts also seems to help. They can surprise you how easy they go on sometimes. BE CAREFUL!! If you get it on half way, and it comes loose, it will ping through the air with some speed. This is where those dirty words usually come in.

6. If all goes well you can re-install your locking lever, if your rifle has the slot in the barrel for it. This has only been true for me maybe 25% of the time. Otherwise you'll have to make one. If you install your lower, you can line it up and mark where the slot should be. It is easily formed with a number of various Dremel attachments.

7. Sometimes the retainer needs to be sort of 'squeezed' closed after you press it onto the barrel. Jusy pinch it back into shape, the locking lever will keep it together and on the barrel.

It may rattle a little, but this is an easy fix with tightly fitted handguards. I know this sounds cheap, but it works realy well if you take your time and do it right. Thanks, J

• Like 2

There's a few options for the lower retainer. You can:

-shell out the money to buy Dinzag's bolt on retainer for $85(not exactly cheap, but it works)

-pick up a press on retainer for around $50, but you'll have to remove the front sight block and gas block to get it on the right way

-pick up a press on retainer and modify it to go on like a bolt on retainer(done, but supposedly a pain in the ass)

-decide looks be damned, and use a hose clamp

DO this option...spend a lil extra money and save yourself a BIIIIIIG headache from not having to press off both the sight block and gas chamber and or paying someone to do it for you, thus pushing you further into debt when your on a limited budget! Your saving money and a lot of time in the long run, trust me...

Edited by RoughRider666
  • 2 weeks later...