Birthday Present for me, am considering the .410, questions

Hi, new here. Am considering picking up a Saiga .410 as some are available here locally for around $375. This is to be a home defense shotgun that I will share with my wife. Would also be the first shotgun my kids will be able to shoot when they are old enough. I have a 12 and 20 gauge shotgun, both are hunting single or double shots. Is the Wikipedia article accurate? Will a loaded magazine inserted into the shotgun result with a ovaled first round and FTL issues if left for a few days in a new .410 model? Thanks!

Are you sure your kids and wife can't handle a 20 gauge with light loads? I'm probably going to catch some heat for saying this, but .410 is not the greatest idea for defense.

To prevent the top shell from squishing, lock the bolt back.

My wife has shot both 12 and 20, of course she enjoyed the lesser of the two evils more. I think .410 would inspire her to practice more. More practice, more effective.

For our home defense plan I'm confident the .410 will work. This is to be stored in the master closet and intended to be used if something happens after we've gone to bed. We have a interior steel door separating the bedrooms from the rest of the house. If the dogs sleeping in the living room start barking ferociously I just need to direct the kids to the master closet and keep that door from being breached....Insurance will cover the rest....

IMHO, a 410 is a good choice for HD but, just like everything else, you will find many opinions. I wanted something that will be effective at close range and not take out someone in the next room/house and the 410 fits perfectly. Besides, it is one fun shotgun. Price seems good but I have not shopped lately and there has been some downward movement in prices.

Edited by oliverb