O.K., so I want to buy a sheperds crook for my S12 but I dont want to pay more for shipping than I did for the part. I was going to buy one from one of the vendors here but they wanted $7 to ship a very small $3 item. Does anyone know where I can get one for a decent price?

I couldn't find one until I solved the problem. Then I herd that Tromix makes one.

I decided to use 3/16" E-clips from Home depot. 2 packs cost .24 cents each.

2 fit on each axis pin. They hold them VERY secure & will not fall off.

Good Luck.

post-19652-12548165348196.jpg

post-19652-12548165793706_thumb.jpg

I would have to disagree, a friend of mine has an SBS S12 that had e-clips and about a month ago we where out shooting and his trigger was loose. After closer inspection the e-clips where gone. His conversion was about 3 or 4 years old so maybe that had something to do with it, but they are not the best solution. Luckily I had a spare Tromix on me and fixed it right up.

I would talk to Greg at CSS and see if he would be willing to just mail you one in an envelope. If not you can always go to a hardware store and buy some piano wire and make your own and have enough to have extra's. Greg seems like a really good guy though so I would start there. On another note, in the future if you buy something from one of the vendors here, I would suggest the retaining plate instead. It is much easier to install and seems very sturdy.

Those guys at CSS have every thing.

PM Cobra or Racegal.

They can probably hook you up with one and just mail it in a regular envelope. I'm willing to bet he has a few extra laying around, and wouldn't mind letting one go for whatever they go for.

I needed a pistol grip screw/nut, and didn't wanna pay shipping on it either. He already had stuff he was sending me anyway, so I asked if I could send a few more bucks and he could just throw the screw/nut into the package. He hooked up me up.

PM him or Racegal20. It's worth a shot.

Scratch that. Cobra just updated his status, and is in the hospital waiting room right now.

Edited by 22_Shooter

I would have to disagree, a friend of mine has an SBS S12 that had e-clips and about a month ago we where out shooting and his trigger was loose. After closer inspection the e-clips where gone. His conversion was about 3 or 4 years old so maybe that had something to do with it, but they are not the best solution. Luckily I had a spare Tromix on me and fixed it right up.

When it was innitially converted did he have 2 E-clips on each pin?

Just curious.

With 2 on each pin there is NO room for them to wiggle loose. 1 on each is loose, & I could see this happening.

How does the plate install? Does it work with the rear holes welded up? I am having a hard time visualizing how it secures.

& yes, I personally would rather have used a shepards crook than E-clips, however I purchased a but-load of parts @ a gun-show from a guy that had EVERYTHING needed to build an AK, & when I got home I realized that I forgot the crook.

EDIT: What company modified his S-12 to an S.B.S. & utilized E-clips?

Most people would not attempt an S.B.S. convert on their own.

Edited by Paulyski

When it was innitially converted did he have 2 E-clips on each pin?

Just curious.

With 2 on each pin there is NO room for them to wiggle loose. 1 on each is loose, & I could see this happening.

How does the plate install? Does it work with the rear holes welded up? I am having a hard time visualizing how it secures.

& yes, I personally would rather have used a shepards crook than E-clips, however I purchased a but-load of parts @ a gun-show from a guy that had EVERYTHING needed to build an AK, & when I got home I realized that I forgot the crook. Been there, done that.

EDIT: What company modified his S-12 to an S.B.S. & utilized E-clips?

Most people would not attempt an S.B.S. convert on their own.

I'm not sure how many e-clips it had, but at one point they where tight.

The front of the plate(left side in pic) locks in the front pin, then the plate pivots down and the hole on the bottom locks in the rear pin. Then the safety goes in the hole in the back(right side of pic) and it stays put.

Krebspin-retaining-plates.jpg

It was converted and SBSed by Arizona Expert Arms back in the day. If I had to guess I would say about 4 years ago, before any retaining plate or Tromix crooks where out. He's got a sweet EAA camo green with a 9" barrel.