Mounting a scope on a mosin nagant

I'm sure this has been asked before, but I couldn't find the topic using the search.. unfortunately both mosin nagant and scope hit so many threads I couldn't find the one I'd like specifically..

Basically my friends getting his first mosin nagant, and we are looking at putting a scope on the thing.. Does the bolt handle have to bend down as on some MNs? or can the normal one ok? and what's involved in mountig the mount. I've tried some MN forums, but unfortunately most of them are about restoring and block topics on "sporterizing" them, including mounting scopes.. so even being pointed in the right direction for a MN forum would help..

Thanks, and again, if this has been addressed, sorry..

edit: wow sorry for the terrible topic title, I guess my keyboard lagged a bit..

Edited by volkov

Yes, you will need a bent bolt. I screwed mine up back in the day so I ended up getting a new bolt assembly that already had the bent bolt. There is two kinds of mounts that I know of. One of them you drill and tap two holes in the top of the gun, and the other is a replacement for the rear sight. I'm thinking of going with the rear sight one because of simplicity. However if money is a problem, you can get a kit for about $50 that comes with every thing you will need to mount a scope. You just need to be able to drill and tap accurately.

• Like 1

You can put a scout scope on it. The package is only about $50-$90 and you dont permenetly change the rifle. The mount replaces the rear sight. Or you can look around for a 91/30 with an original repro sniper setup. I've seent them for about $500

• 2 weeks later...

I'm sure this has been asked before, but I couldn't find the topic using the search.. unfortunately both mosin nagant and scope hit so many threads I couldn't find the one I'd like specifically..

Basically my friends getting his first mosin nagant, and we are looking at putting a scope on the thing.. Does the bolt handle have to bend down as on some MNs? or can the normal one ok? and what's involved in mountig the mount. I've tried some MN forums, but unfortunately most of them are about restoring and block topics on "sporterizing" them, including mounting scopes.. so even being pointed in the right direction for a MN forum would help..

Thanks, and again, if this has been addressed, sorry..

edit: wow sorry for the terrible topic title, I guess my keyboard lagged a bit..

I've done this on a rifle that I sold off to a friend for deer hunting (the swivel stud). It really works much better than the stock sights. Having gone through about a half dozen of the cheaper scopes, I'll take a peep sight over any of the pathetic sub $200 scope/ring/mount combos anytime. Most of the decent nagant scope mounts cost more than the rifle. Drill press, a tap, a swivel stud, and you're in business. Set it up for an inch and a half high at 100 yards and you're good out to about 250.

http://www.castbullet.com/makeit/rr.htm

Edited by buckandaquarterquarterstaff

all helpfull, my buddy wound up finding something more or less fits yalls description. It works pretty well- some kit that came from some mosin forum dealer that mounts a pistol scope onto the old iron sights costs like 160 (with scope).. I don't want to give more info because then it would kind of be advertising.

note: editted heavily because my original post seemed a bit too off topic/unrelated

Edited by volkov