Mag Couplers/Cinches and 10 round AGP Mags

This is actually a continuation on this thread:

http://forum.saiga-12.com/index.php?showtopic=9556&view=&hl=mag%20coupler&fromsearch=1 discussing mag couplers but wanted to start one specifically regarding AGP mags...

All I have are 10 round AGP mags and never found a coupler review regarding these mags but got some of the buffertech ones based on Cobra's reviews on the 5 & 8 factory mags.

I got the ones for 308 MAG CINCH

Item #MC6 from buffertech .

I got 2 of their mag cinches and was going to use it for 2 pairs of 10 rounders.

I believe the site recommends 2 cinches for the longer mags but when I installed one cinch on a pair, it seemed to be fine . A little flex towards the bottom of the two mags but that was to be expected due to such long mags. I would think that most people would be fine using 1 cinch per 2 mags.

The quality is great on these and it doesn't look like its going to budge but I only installed it today and haven't gone to the range yet...I'm just happy it fits, which it does very nicely!

BUT after trying out a coupled pair on the saiga......I found I didn't really like the feel 2 mags on it....too damn bulky and heavy! This has nothing to do with the buffertech cinch itself, but just the feel of 2 mags hanging off of the gun. Made it too wide and imo way less manueverable.

Well I already have the 2 cinches so decided to use both of them on 1 pair of mags. Using it this way it is ROCK Solid. No movement, no budging. Shells never got caught up inside (when loading and pulling them out by hand) and it does what its supposed to. There is NOT too much pressure on the sides which I was concerned about, and shells seems to flow smooth.

Here are pics of the 2 cinches on a pair of AGP 10 rounders:

DSC01142.jpg

Dsc01143.jpg

Dsc01144.jpg

In short the cinches fit great and are perfect for the 10 round agp mags. Great quality and looks like it will stay put. Only thing you have to modify with them is after fitting the cinches, you cut off the extra strap length, no other "modding". Just be sure you know you want 2 mags hanging off your s12 before you buy a bunch of these as you might not like the feel of the extra bulk and weight. If you don't mind that these cinches seem perfect. Will follow up with a range test once I get a chance to go back.

Have you shot with them yet? Those that have done this reported that most of the 2nd mag emptied itself from recoil of the first being shot.

Let us know.

Hehe no duct tape... it did cross my mind but I didn't want to have to put too much side pressure on the mags with a solid object in the middle....thought an object in the middle pressing against the side of the mags might bend it in too much.

I haven't tried the couplers while shooting yet, I actually might head down to the range tonight and if so will post back to see if any shells fly out of the unused mag. (hope not because I have to buy the shells from the range I'm shooting at and you can't bring your own....gets pricey quick!)

I'm still breaking in my gun and polished it a little inside so that's my main reason for testing at the range tonight...but that's a different topic....

Will let you all know...

Well I got back from the range but can;t give an accurate report.

Short story is none of the shells flew out of the unused mag, in fact they didn't even move up any.

BUT I was having alot of FTE issues. Not because of the cinch because I also used mags not coupled together. I think it has something to do witht he new gas plug I got in. The stock one shot wolf slugs fine and this time every 4th one or so would Jam halfway out while ejecting....anyways I need to go back to the range with the orignal plug to test this theory out...hopefully noy something else.

So wasn;t able to unload a whole magazine rapidly to see if the recoil jolted out any shells from the coupled mag. From slow shooting it seems fine...... will post back after next range trip.

I have a mag coupler in route. Tactically speaking, my thinking is to train with a 12 round Surfire with 00 buck in the gun, and an 8-rounder (downloaded to 7) of AP slugs coupled on its left side. The idea is to allow rapid transition between shot and slug. I love stainless-steel armor-piercing 12 gauge slugs. Stops a car, man with armor, or man on the other side of cinderblock wall, pronto!

hey think agp mags would fit in this? http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/AKS701-1.html

It might but will likely be tight, esp with the ribs on the mag. I've found that if the pouch holds a 30rnd ak mag, it might hold a 10rnd S12 mag but it will stick out and the pouch wont close. If you can work a needle and thread, you could cut the top off, stitch a length of wide elastic(or maybe even just an elastic cord) on in its place and reattach the loop.

This one http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/SKS850-1.html , works great for the 5rndrs and will close. But is VERY tight and will take some use to make for a quicker draw.

This is the one I now use but with some modification, http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/ItemDetail.aspx?sku=Molle-122. Once you cut out the dividers, it works well for the 5rndrs, 2 in each pouch. For the 8rndrs, I stitched on a lenght of 2" velcro to the end of the cover flap. But for the 10rndrs, I ripped the seams out of the bottom and stitched on 3 sides and a new bottom(something to do while watching the tube, lol).

Will post pics soon.

LRoDV,

Mikel

Have you shot with them yet? Those that have done this reported that most of the 2nd mag emptied itself from recoil of the first being shot.

Let us know.

Carolina is correct. The people that have tried mag couplers in 12 ga have found that the recoil causes the top round in the extra mag to slide out of the feed lips