5.45 x 39 Accuracy??

I was wondering, are you guys finding the 5.45 round more accurate than the 7.62 x 39? I was planning to get a VZ 58 to go with my converted x39 and Russian SKS as they use the same ammo but think this could be more fun. Of course, I also would need to convince the wife I need another rifle. I'm hoping that the Saiga will be easier to talk her into since it's much cheaper.

Shawn

I was wondering, are you guys finding the 5.45 round more accurate than the 7.62 x 39? I was planning to get a VZ 58 to go with my converted x39 and Russian SKS as they use the same ammo but think this could be more fun. Of course, I also would need to convince the wife I need another rifle. I'm hoping that the Saiga will be easier to talk her into since it's much cheaper.

Shawn

in all honesty, i think its every bit as accurate as a .223 / 5.56 out to about 200 yards or so.

Watch out!

There are some Polish Tantal rifles that Century is selling with U.S. made barrels that are actually .224+ instead of .221. The accuracy of these rifles is piss poor and Century has actually said "Bad ammo" and "The bullet is supposed to tumble". Horseshit of course.

Yesterday me and my buddy had my 545 out plinkin' and i saw squirrel, and we ranged it out to 201 yards. So I set my sights to 200 yards and to my surprise i hit that lil bastard with open sights! Needless to say: 53gr bullets can tear a furry to ribbons! Moral of this story to keep this thread on track. I had no idea these 545's were that accurate! Superior to my x39 saiga, which is pretty accurate in its own respects.

Edited by RoughRider666

Rough Rider, that's some pretty impressive shooting to hit a squirrel at that distance. Sounds like the 545 is definately more accurate. I talked to the owner of a local gunshop recently, he is a total AR guy and even he had great things to say about the 545x39 round.

I just need to decide if I want to go with another Saiga or try a VZ58. Something about the bakelite furniture on the VZ that makes me want one but I'd love to do another Saiga conversion.

Rough Rider, that's some pretty impressive shooting to hit a squirrel at that distance. Sounds like the 545 is definately more accurate. I talked to the owner of a local gunshop recently, he is a total AR guy and even he had great things to say about the 545x39 round.

I just need to decide if I want to go with another Saiga or try a VZ58. Something about the bakelite furniture on the VZ that makes me want one but I'd love to do another Saiga conversion.

Ive always been a pretty fair shot off handed, but i have to admit this time i was resting across the hood of my truck when i made that shot. However, my buddy that was with me was 20 year retired military vet with combat experience and he about crapped his pants when i made that shot. He said he never thought he'd see the day when a "Ruskee Made Weapon" was capable of that kind of shot...lol. He then told me that he has never seen the 5.45x39 in person, but was VERY impressed with the results of the round, and said he was more than likely going to buy a saiga after seeing that!

Watch out!

There are some Polish Tantal rifles that Century is selling with U.S. made barrels that are actually .224+ instead of .221. The accuracy of these rifles is piss poor and Century has actually said "Bad ammo" and "The bullet is supposed to tumble". Horseshit of course.

The Interarms Tantals use the original Polish barrels and cost a little bit more. I believe Atlantic Arms carries them.

• 4 weeks later...

As to the question of 5.45 or 308 it depends on your finances. If you can afford to shoot all you want at 40+ cents a round or are interested in reloading then go with the 308. It wont be more accurate than the 5.45 until you get out there past 250m but it will give you an extra 200m of good range. Of course if you are set for money get both. If you plan to do any hunting with it get the 308 by all means its an excellent med to large game round, my Marlin 22LR will handle the small varmints. Its a matter of accepting the limits of the 5.45 or the expense of the 308.

If they ever offer the 7.62R Saiga I may go into brain lock. Cheap ammo AND 30-06 performance.