Clearing malfunctions with the S12 design

I reviewed several threads but did not come up with anything specifically relating to how easy or difficult the design of the S12 with a detachable magazine is to clear a malfunction. Being new to SG's I have not yet had any training but an LEO friend is curious.

Can anyone share any experience regarding malfunction drills?

not much to go wrong. you would clear problems like any other mag fed weapon out there. When clearing and malfunction keep the weapon pointed in a safe direction!

stove pipes-you sweep back with your hand and it should come out.

spent shell in the chamber- cycle the action. Might need to grab the charging handle and slam the buttstock into the ground.

Spent shell in the chamber with the bolt trying to feed a good shell into the chamber- lock bolt to the rear, drop the mag, remove good shell, manualy cycle action to remove spent shell from chamber, insert mag, charge weapon.

Should cover most problems you see.

Edited by Rusty truck

The only time my s-12 malfed was when I first shot it because I didn't have the proper setting for Remington target loads. The spent shell would get stuck in the ejection port. I kept the muzzle on target, reached under the receiver, racked the bolt with my thumb, returned my weak hand to the forward hand guard, bang. This can be done in under a second. I did this three times, changed the gas setting, and have never had a malf since.

heres one problem that comes up.....cheap ammo misfeeds....and how I clear them.

Ill be sure to demonstrate some other misfeeds and other crap to you at the next Florida shoot....as well as how I clear them.

do keep in mind, that I am taking my time, as this was two years ago, and we were all testing the MD20 on the alpha run (pre full-production run) for Mike D., so everyone paid close attention to malfunctions. The problems that occur, if they occur, can be cleared MUCH MUCH faster.

I think this shows 2 different issues. a crushed misfeed with a second round trying to chamber, and also a stovepipe misfeed.

I can and will demonstrate some other problems, such as ejection problems, if you really want to see any error that can happen with this gun.

Clearing it is usually quite simple: just rack the bolt, or pop the mag and dump the top round off of it.

here is another long term member here, with his 12C w/cutts clearing the weapon from a FTE stovepipe or two, all be it away from the camera....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V8lrlxzP38M&feature=channel

heres one problem that comes up.....cheap ammo misfeeds....and how I clear them.

Ill be sure to demonstrate some other misfeeds and other crap to you at the next Florida shoot....as well as how I clear them.

do keep in mind, that I am taking my time, as this was two years ago, and we were all testing the MD20 on the alpha run (pre full-production run) for Mike D., so everyone paid close attention to malfunctions. The problems that occur, if they occur, can be cleared MUCH MUCH faster.

I think this shows 2 different issues. a crushed misfeed with a second round trying to chamber, and also a stovepipe misfeed.

I can and will demonstrate some other problems, such as ejection problems, if you really want to see any error that can happen with this gun.

Clearing it is usually quite simple: just rack the bolt, or pop the mag and dump the top round off of it.

here is another long term member here, with his 12C w/cutts clearing the weapon from a FTE stovepipe or two, all be it away from the camera....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V8lrlxzP38M&feature=channel

Thanks Bvamp: looking forward to meeting you at the November shoot!

My first hypothesis is that clearing the weapon while keeping it pointing down range is much faster than dropping the muzzle to sul position, clearing the stoppage, then raising it back up. The shooter in the second video does do this.

My second hypothesis is that rolling the weapon 90 degrees to the right to where the ejection port is now facing down, while still keeping the muzzle down range, both assists in clearing the stoppage due to gravity, and decreases the time to clear by giving the left hand a shorter trip and more efficient pull on the bolt handle. The shooter in the second video does not do this.

Although I know these two hypotheses are true with ARs, I would like to test them with the Saiga 12, but the difficult part is getting the weapon to malfunction. Maybe I will buy some crappy ammo and use the wrong setting on my gunfixr.

Edited by Ragnar Danneskjöld

Ragnar, as I stated above, these videos were of a pre-production test drive of the MD20, to check for bug, to relay back to Mike before he went into a full run on these. We were more interested in exactly what issues were occuring to relay back to mike, than killing a fake enemy down range. each malfunction in my case, was a different cause as i recall, mostly due to the cheap ass ammo we were testing the drum with.

You can see another with Makc having malfunctions, and also checking exactly what was happening that day. shoulda posted that one as well.