What Do you feed yours

well i just picked up my Saiga yesterday and unfortunatly won't get to shoot it till tomorrow.

i was just wondering what ammo you all liked best.

i got a case of Silver Bear Match Grade from AIMsurplus for christmas. so i will let you know how i like that.

But was just curious as to what you all like best

Thanks

And here is a picture:

eaasaiga.jpg

Edited by Black92LX

I got a 308 but in my SKS's there is only one ammo that is dead on. It is chinnese steel core, steel jacket. I have only seen it sold in loaded SKS stripper clips for $1.25 to $2.50. The last I bought was 16 clips at $1.25 so that's 12.5 cents a round. It is banned fron import and no one seams to reailize it is a heaver bullet and a boat-tail from the way the jacket is wrapped at the tail. Sunday at the range a guy set up a chronograph and I gave him 2 rounds to fire thru his SKS. He had 3 different loads he had handloaded from 1975 to the hottest of 2400 fps. The chinnese both were over 2500 fps. Suprised me because it is also a heaver bullet. Sounds louder, smells different, so in case it's "corrosive" I clean real good and then use ammonia and water to flush before final coat of oil in the barrel. Just measured target from Sunday and got 5 in 1.5 inch at 117 yards. That with a Yugo SKS with 6X40 scope. The ammo is easy to spot, it's "copper washed" so the bullet and the shell are are the same copper color. Ask if they have any surplus chinnese/steel core, don't explain further. Just buy any you see and keep quiet or the price will change and it will disapper. OK everyone keep quiet or those AK guys will buy it all and waste it on full auto.

He had 3 different loads he had handloaded from 1975 to the hottest of 2400 fps. The chinnese both were over 2500 fps. Suprised me because it is also a heaver bullet.

Umm, if I'm not mistaken, lead is heavier than steel. Anyway, being boat tailed has something to do with velocity but the truth of the matter is... without knowing any of the other factors in the equation, the most logical way to increase projectile velocity is to lower the overall mass of the projectile. Basically, lighter bullet, higher velocity. Of course, we could talk about different powders, varying powder amounts etc etc... but it still comes down to the basic idea of the most sure-fire way of increasing velocity is to lower the mass of the projectile.

I haven't shot any 7.62x39 steel core ammo but I do have some of that stuff for my Mosin Nagants. 7.62x54 fmj is about 180 grain. The 7.62x54 steel core fmj weighs in at only 155 grain. Yes, it's got a higher velocity. Yes, it'll penetrate 1/2 inch steel plate at 100 yards. You have to remember it's also got a steel core which is lighter than a lead core and is banned from import. Most ranges don't like it either when you start punching holes in their spinners.

Oh, yes... the answer to the question mentioned as the original thread. I've shot Barnaul (Russian), Winchester, Wolf and Remington. As such, cost wise, I like the Wolf. Cheap as hell and reliable. When it comes to ammo, Remington is wierd and kinda rare (according to my findings) and the Winchester is nice... comes boxer primed and in brass cases (the Remington too) but it was expensive (like the Remington) but I could find it more easily. Both the Winchester and Remington performed very well... very accurate... just... expensive and sometimes difficult to find.

Yeah, Wolf is dirty. Wolf is rather inaccurate compared to the Winchester or Remington. The Russian ammo uses either steel or bi-metal shells (which are rough on extractors/ejectors).

The main thing I'm concerned with though is... Wolf is cheap as hell. $80 (give or take $10) and I've got 1000 rds of happy pow pow (no, not some wierd chinese dish). I'll be more than happy to clean up the soot and as for accuracy, bah. If I can keep shooting 2 to 3 inch groupings at 100yrds with my scope and 4-5 inch groupings without a scope, I'm happy. Either way, if I have to shoot something (or someone) at that distance, I can be pretty sure that I'll take'em down. As for steel casings and being hard on the extractors and ejectors... well, I figure that since the Russians designed the guns and the ammo... there's something to be said there about synergy.

As I said in my previous post, I like Wolf ammo. It's cheap, it's dirty and it's a crowd pleaser every time (when I'm at a range where there happens to be spectators, the Wolf ammo generates a nice large muzzle flash followed by a nicely visible cloud of smoke - gets "awws" and "ooohs" from the spectators every time).

When I'm blasting away with a drum on my AK, it's gotta be WOLF, I couldn't afford anything better. But for a sporting rifle, I'd at least pick up a box of Winchester from Wal-Mart; that gives you fair accuracy without the high cost.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

You might want to try some CHEETAH brand ammunition. It's available from Vector out of N. Salt Lake, UT. Cost is about $150.00 per case of 1440 rounds.

The stuff is copper jacketed and brass cased. Shoots very clean unlike the Russian stuff. I've found that anything that says 7.62 by 39 goes well in the AK type actions and have never had a jam. Can't tell you too much about the variances in accuracy between any of the stuff because there is more variance in my shooting than in the rifle or ammo. How's that for being truthfull!

• 2 weeks later...

Hello,

I've found out that "it's cheaper on the internet" price can be beat if you watch for sales at the sporting goods chain stores.

The Wolf 7.62x39,122 grain, FMJ bullet 20 rounds per box, 25 boxes, 500 rounds goes for about $45.00 plus shipping and handling on the net.

Gander Mountain sells it for $1.99 per box and discounts it another 10% when it is on sale. So, it's tough to beat $1.79 per box out the door.....

Only thing is, at Gander Mountain, you do feel a bit like a second class citizen. Due to their 'politically correct' management policy, they do not stock Saiga Rifles or anything connected with assault weapons except the ammo......

Still, at $5.00 a box at Dunhams (where I bought the rifle), $3.19 a box at my local gun range, I'll take the $1.79 price even if I have to wait in line for someone to buy his $1000 shotgun! Heck, I even have a few bucks left over for one of them fancy plastic ammo boxes......

cheap thrills.

pharmer

post-5-1078500352.jpg

Roger that, where ever you can find good ammo cheap is a good place. There's a Dick's sporting goods down the road from me that stocks some wolf for 1.99.

My personal goal is 10 cents per round or less. Some of the gun shops around here try to sell for 5 or 6 bucks a box. Bastards...