Slamfire...BHO is a good thing....

While breaking in my bullet guide and Bulgy Circle 10's at the range I had some jams. This is the first time firing my Saiga, so 10-15 jams out of about 300 rounds isn't too bad for a break-in period. On one occassion I removed the magazine as I was about to clear a jam...bullet forced into the side of the chamber face. If I had a BHO installed I would have locked the bolt to the rear....since I didnt I pulled the mag first. BANG....slamfire. Glad I was at the range...and even happier that I always have my weapon pointed downrange! Needless to say, I installed my factory BHO last night. Took about 20 minutes...damn spring...but well worth it.

As a side note, I did file the BHO down a bit as it extended too far down into the trigger area with the FCG set-up. Now it's out of the way of my trigger finger and available when needed.

• Like 1

The BHO was something I never would've thought that I would've missed, until I didn't have it. I took my .223 out once after conversion before I decided I wanted it back in. Now that it's there again, I use it all the time.

Yep. Especially since I use it more for range shooting than SHTF scenarios :haha: the BHO is more of a necessity than I thought. With some careful filing it's out of the way and not a liability anyway.

Does that mag have BHO like the surefire??? Trying to imagine how the slamfire occurred.

Nope, no BHO on the Bulgy's. The cartridge was wedged between the mag and the chamber face with the bolt resting on the rim of the case. When I pulled the mag the bolt slammed shut and it fired. I can assure you my finger was not on the trigger. Scared the crap outta me.

I'm picturing that you took aim, pulled the trigger and nothing happened. Logically, you stopped to see what happened. Since the bolt was partially foreward with a shell pushed up into the chamber face--the hammer was still able to release. As you rocked the mag out (towards the muzzle), the round in the bolt started to point upward, cleared the face, and went into the chamber. Since the hammer was already released, once it all slid forward the round went off.

But then--that's just my guess.

Good job keeping the firearm pointed down range. Just one more reason to always be conscious of the muzzle direction.

Edited by dobravery

I'm picturing that you took aim, pulled the trigger and nothing happened. Logically, you stopped to see what happened. Since the bolt was partially foreward with a shell pushed up into the chamber face--the hammer was still able to release. As you rocked the mag out (towards the muzzle), the round in the bolt started to point upward, cleared the face, and went into the chamber. Since the hammer was already released, once it all slid forward the round went off.

But then--that's just my guess.

Good job keeping the firearm pointed down range. Just one more reason to always be conscious of the muzzle direction.

Sounds like you figured out the mechanics of my jam as it was the second round. Had it been the first I would have seen the bolt hanging open and not pulled the trigger. I should have been smart and held the bolt back when clearing the jam, but I thought the round would have just fallen out...never assume is the lesson here in addition to always knowing where the muzzle is pointed. Big +1 for the BHO.

Edited by Flashbang

At least it sounds like your rifle is fine--no firing pin issues. Just a bad sequence of events. It just doesn't like that first batch of ammo with the ramp I guess.

This is a good post because I'm sure it's a common jam for guys who want to see if a mag works without a ramp.

I could understand if it was actually difficult to install, but it really isn't. Hell, I spent more time trying to drill out a couple of rivets on the trigger guard than I did putting the BHO back in.

I know, I didnt put it in at first because I read too many posts on how difficult it was. I went to the CSS site and watched the video and in no time I had stripped and then reassembled the trigger group with the bolt hold open. The spring was a bit fidgity, but holding it in place with a punch on one side and sliding the axis pin in from the other made it a lot easier. It did seem to rub against my trigger finger, so I did file it down a bit and now its perfect.