Ruger 10/22 extraction problems....

So I have a Ruger 10/22 that will not expend the fired case 100% of the time, resulting mostly in "stove pipe" jams. It would appear to me that the extractor spring is in need of replacing. The extractor itself looks fine. Casing are ejected out to about 2 feet when firing, when no jams occur. How do I get the extractor assembly out? all I can figure out is needle nose pliers in the small groove on the sides of the bolt itself. Ideas? Thanks!

I've had that problem before I have a 1975 model never changed the spring well over 20k rounds where the extractor goes into side of the barrel to catch the round gets full of soot and crap basicly take a pick and clean it out first see if that helps if not remove the stock and pull the bolt out I beleave there is a pin that holds the extractor in I would have to look when I get home though

The 10/22 actually extracts by inertia. the extractor is only for when you are manually racking the bolt.(to unload the gun or clear a dud) Use a hotter cartridge clean a little better in the chamber, or reduce your main spring a little.(there are a lot of options for aftermarket springs) It is a very common problem. I can say that some of the aftermarket extractors grab better, (I have a titanium power customs one in one of mine) but it is the speed of the rearward travel of the bolt getting out of the way while there is still pressure that ejects the shell, not the extractor yanking it out.

I know this seems wrong, but it is true.

There are several 10/22 forums with good guides on this specific issue. Do a google search for "guide 10/22 stovepipe" or something like that and you should find several good tech threads.

Also, while the extraction while firing is pretty much unrelated to the extractor, what the previous guy said about cleaning that notch in the barrel is true too.

If I remember right, to remove the extractor you push in on the little pin-thing that moves with the spring, and slide the extractor out sideways.

It has been a while , but that is how I remember it. A fine punch or piece of wire should help with this. You have to hold that pin toward the back of the bolt and kind of wiggle the extractor out sideways.

That spring is tiny and very easy to lose, so if you do take it apart be careful and do it in a place that is clean and not carpeted.

Edited by GunFun

The 10/22 actually extracts by inertia. the extractor is only for when you are manually racking the bolt.(to unload the gun or clear a dud) Use a hotter cartridge clean a little better in the chamber, or reduce your main spring a little.(there are a lot of options for aftermarket springs) It is a very common problem. I can say that some of the aftermarket extractors grab better, (I have a titanium power customs one in one of mine) but it is the speed of the rearward travel of the bolt getting out of the way while there is still pressure that ejects the shell, not the extractor yanking it out.

I know this seems wrong, but it is true.

There are several 10/22 forums with good guides on this specific issue. Do a google search for "guide 10/22 stovepipe" or something like that and you should find several good tech threads.

Also, while the extraction while firing is pretty much unrelated to the extractor, what the previous guy said about cleaning that notch in the barrel is true too.

If I remember right, to remove the extractor you push in on the little pin-thing that moves with the spring, and slide the extractor out sideways.

It has been a while , but that is how I remember it. A fine punch or piece of wire should help with this. You have to hold that pin toward the back of the bolt and kind of wiggle the extractor out sideways.

That spring is tiny and very easy to lose, so if you do take it apart be careful and do it in a place that is clean and not carpeted.

Funny thing is that this rifle shoots Remington and Aquila subsonic with zero problems. Aquila hi velocity works most of the time. It seems that Federal spitfires and Wallyworld bulk pack are the worst. Have not tried CCI yet though...I am thinking that rim diameter and casing makeup may make the extractor not happy....

The Volquartsen "exact extractor" will fix that problem. I know, I was experienciing the same thing out of my Ruger 10/22 Charger pistol. I actually went through two other aftermarket extractors before settling on the Volquartsen product, which worked fantastically.

~Gary

The Volquartsen "exact extractor" will fix that problem. I know, I was experienciing the same thing out of my Ruger 10/22 Charger pistol. I actually went through two other aftermarket extractors before settling on the Volquartsen product, which worked fantastically.

~Gary

I just ordered one. :)

~Gary

Well Jeez . . . Won't I be perceived as an ass, if it doesn't work for your gun. :cryss:

In all seriousness though, I did purchase at least two other reputable 10/22 aftermarket makers' extractors and neither one satisfactorily cured the FTE stove pipe jams I was experiencing in my Ruger Charger modified pistol below. So. . . I dropped the measly few dollars more for the Volquartsen product because of all the raves it got in the rimfirecentral.com forum (to which I am a member of).

Wish I friggen would have purchased the VQ 'exact extractor' from the get go (hind sight being the beotch that she is) because "WALLAH!", no more FTEs. . . which I can't explain since the other makers' product looked essentially just as good, but were simply ever-so-slightly cheaper.

I'll be greatly surprised if the 'exact extractor' doesn't cure your problem. Ummmm. . . in fact, if it doesn't, then I'd suggest looking at some other component of the 10/22's action (such as possibly the bolt handle long spring) because whatever is ailing it, isn't the bolt extractor.

:rolleyes:

post-4853-12569530458219_thumb.jpg

If you'd like to see more photos of the above Charger pistol, click on this: Gary's Ruger 'Platypus' Charger

Edited by Gary

~Gary

Well Jeez . . . Won't I be perceived as an ass, if it doesn't work for your gun. :cryss:

In all seriousness though, I did purchase at least two other reputable 10/22 aftermarket makers' extractors and neither one satisfactorily cured the FTE stove pipe jams I was experiencing in my Ruger Charger modified pistol below. So. . . I dropped the measly few dollars more for the Volquartsen product because of all the raves it got in the rimfirecentral.com forum (to which I am a member of).

Wish I friggen would have purchased the VQ 'exact extractor' from the get go (hind sight being the beotch that she is) because "WALLAH!", no more FTEs. . . which I can't explain since the other makers' product looked essentially just as good, but were simply ever-so-slightly cheaper.

I'll be greatly surprised if the 'exact extractor' doesn't cure your problem. Ummmm. . . in fact, if it doesn't, then I'd suggest looking at some other component of the 10/22's action (such as possibly the bolt handle long spring) because whatever is ailing it, isn't the bolt extractor.

If you'd like to see more photos of the above Charger pistol, click on this: Gary's Ruger 'Platypus' Charger

That was my plan. I have a fun show in a week too so I may pick up some spare parts in case. Figure go with the best!

~Gary

That was my plan. I have a fun show in a week too so I may pick up some spare parts in case. Figure go with the best!

Just got mine and installed it. Way more surface area on this one than factory one and the factory one even had a rolled edge! Looking forward to testing it soon.

Just got mine and installed it. Way more surface area on this one than factory one and the factory one even had a rolled edge! Looking forward to testing it soon.

Sounds to me like the two characteristics you mentioned above of your OEM extractor were the cause of your FTE problems. I think you'll be wonderfully surprised how much better the VQ extractor will perform.

I look forward to hearing how your next range session goes.

:super:

~Gary

Wow gary I just have to say that is one nice looking charger build you have there Love the skull too A+ Damn fine work

• Like 1

Wow gary I just have to say that is one nice looking charger build you have there Love the skull too A+ Damn fine work

Thank you; I genuinely appreciate the compliment. I realize my Charger is just a tiny .22LR pistol for these parts (i.e., this forum), but I spent a lot of hand-tooling time modifying its stock. . . and the Kidd Innovations two-stage target trigger I installed in it (which is priced as much as the friggen base gun :evil:) in conjunction with the match grade bull barrel, truly allows it to shoot a knats ass at 50 yards. It's generally a really fun shooter at the range.

:up:

• 4 weeks later...

Well, after taking time out from studying for finals, a sinus infection AND getting married, I finally made it to the range. Now my 10/22 shoots all ammo put through it and any clip too! Tearing stuff up with the 50 rounders and Federal bulk pack 100%. Thanks for the help guys! Love my little take-down 10/22 mini. It's one of a kind! :super:

Now to find a Ram-line 16" ultra-light plastic shelled barrel that was sold in the 1980's-1990's....Ideas? I keep searching but without any luck...

Like this one that sold before I knew I wanted one:

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=138016004

Edited by THE_HUNTER