Krebs vs H&K Sights

I'm looking for some replacement sights for my conversion (currently in-progress)

Here is the question:

What is the sight alignment like with the Krebs vs H&K sights? I am a military trained shooter and have a very tight cheek-weld. with many firearms, the rear sight sits too high for me to use. I get on the stock, then have to pick my head up slightly to acquire the sight. I encountered this issue with a borrowed Mossberg 930SPX that had the LPA ghost-rings on it.

The stock sights (which totally suck) actually line up very well for me. What I need is something that will mimic the "plane" of the stock sights while giving a significantly better sight picture. Ghost-ring is preferred, but I would consider anything thats fast to acquire, quick on follow-up shots and durable.

Thanks

Can you be a bit more specific about what you mean by "Kreb's sights"?

I was referring to the sights made by Krebs Custom and available through Carolina Shooters Supply. If I had to guess I would say they look like they would preserver the "stock" sighting plane, but I just wanted to confirm wiht someone who uses them. Likewise, i'd like to hear from someone who uses the H&K sights.

I'm new to the modification part of the Saiga ownership, so I value any opinion that comes from experience.

Thank you

post-17242-12572814089771_thumb.jpg

IMHO, the Krebs are hands down better for longer distance accuracy, you can add hooded crosshairs too.

while HK sights may allow quicker target aquisition, and are adjustable for various target distances, (100, 200, 300)

I have both and prefer the krebs for most of my shooting.

Dinzag has a front post site that is about the same as the Krebs, but doesn't have the unsightly set screw protrusion underneath.

FWIW

I'm looking for some replacement sights for my conversion (currently in-progress)

Here is the question:

What is the sight alignment like with the Krebs vs H&K sights? I am a military trained shooter and have a very tight cheek-weld. with many firearms, the rear sight sits too high for me to use. I get on the stock, then have to pick my head up slightly to acquire the sight. I encountered this issue with a borrowed Mossberg 930SPX that had the LPA ghost-rings on it.

The stock sights (which totally suck) actually line up very well for me. What I need is something that will mimic the "plane" of the stock sights while giving a significantly better sight picture. Ghost-ring is preferred, but I would consider anything thats fast to acquire, quick on follow-up shots and durable.

Thanks

I got out my stock S12, the Krebs conversion, and the Tromix with HK sights. In comparing the three it looks like the sight plane of the Krebs sights is about 1/8 inch higher than the stock sights. The HK sights line up about 1/4 inch higher still than the Krebs. I was just eyeballing it but that would seem to eliminate the HK sights for your needs.

IMHO, the Krebs are hands down better for longer distance accuracy, you can add hooded crosshairs too.

while HK sights may allow quicker target aquisition, and are adjustable for various target distances, (100, 200, 300)

Dinzag has a front post site that is about the same as the Krebs, but doesn't have the unsightly set screw protrusion underneath.

FWIW

I just checked out Dinzag's site and I like the look of that front sight w/out the set-screws. I see that he has a Tall front sight and a Short front sight. Any idea which one would be a better match with the Krebs rear ghost-ring?

Here is the question:

Thanks

I got out my stock S12, the Krebs conversion, and the Tromix with HK sights. In comparing the three it looks like the sight plane of the Krebs sights is about 1/8 inch higher than the stock sights. The HK sights line up about 1/4 inch higher still than the Krebs. I was just eyeballing it but that would seem to eliminate the HK sights for your needs.

Thank you! This is exactly what I was looking for. I should have know someone around here would have all 3 styles :devil:

It does sound like the Krebs Custom will be the way to go. I REALLY like the look of the HK sights, but I'm just not sure how I'd like the sight alignment.

FWIW

I just checked out Dinzag's site and I like the look of that front sight w/out the set-screws. I see that he has a Tall front sight and a Short front sight. Any idea which one would be a better match with the Krebs rear ghost-ring?

Neither. Even the tall Dinzag sight is a tiny bit too low for the Krebs rear ghost ring. Also, the sight hood on the Krebs front sight is perfectly round and sights up well inside the ghost ring.

The low Dinzag front sight works with the stock shotgun tangent sights.

The high Dinzag front sight works with a standard AK rear leaf sight. If you're doing a classic military style restoration, the high Dinzag is the way to go.

Both Dinzag front sights use AK/SKS posts.

The Krebs front sight takes M-15/AR-15 style posts.

Edited by AresI-X
  • 3 weeks later...

I have had both, the Krebs gives a little better sight picture, the H&K looks cooler on the gun. I have found that drilling out the largest hole on the H&K sights even larger make them a lot better, perhaps better then the factory Krebs! Remember, these sights were originally interned for a rifle!