not gonna repost my rant because frankly, it was really long.. but I'll try to sum up (easier to do sober) since at least bigsal read it so I figured I'd throw it out there so you know where I'm coming from.. I was in a crap situation in the middle of nowhere my dog, got pulled, lied to, had the cop threaten to pull his gun on me instead of his radar detector when I asked to see it, and then got lectured for 15 minutes about how I was a criminal with no rights. Also claimed that he clocked me going 17 over (unlikely, heavy traffic, but they pulled us all) and said that I must have mashed the breaks and I must of been going at least 90-100+ or 40 over. Said if I asked one more question I was going to spend the night in jail because once you've gone 20 mph over you have no rights (uhh?).. This guy was a bastard, and I was worried if I took him up on his gracious offer to spend the night in a jail, they would do some crap like say my dog bit them, and put him down. Couldn't make the court day because the bastard saw my parking pass and arranged it right in the middle of exam week.. That covers most of it..

Another time a cop just made up my speed (I pulled out going left on to a 45 mph, and followed a cop I pulled behind for 1/8th mile before getting off on my turn) another cop followed me home and said I was speeding (63 mph, but since he was oh so nice he made it only 55.. getting sick of that excuse).. not really possible to get up to that speed in the 1/8th mile and the car I was driving without making a pretty serious attempt.. keep in mind that 1/8th mile also includes slowing down at my fricken turn.. Cop said I could not have been following the officer I was following when I mentioned it because he was too far away..

Anyway, at least this one was polite.. didn't threaten me or anything..

My experience is there are a lot of bullies.. I've also been hit by a drunk driver and been greatfull for the assistance I was given. They even let the drunk guy off because he was dyng of cancer and it was likely that his drunkness was partly brought on by pain meds, as well as the cup of vodka the crash had splattered on his windshield. Sometimes they are on your side, but as Azrial said, if it was a revenue agency it would be running in the black.. and I'll add to that by saying, and if they didn't act like a revenue agency, they would bankrupt us.

Sure they have other purposes, but they are a rather large and costly organization that survives partially by handing out fines regardless of whether the fines are neccesary or really relevant... And how many do we REALLY need, and how neccesary is it that they drive new crown vics or chargers? One thing I've noticed in other countries- generally less cops driving crappier cars.. I reckon it works

IF you believe that cops are acting soley on morals, you havn't considered why so many police like to hide RIGHT at speed limit changes.. Just because the sign is there and it took someone an extra 50-100 feet to get down to speed doesn't mean the stuation has suddenly become unsafe and we are in dire need of a policeman to save the day.. but it's a great place to levy some fines.

There are exceptions, and my family and I have been greatful for police assistance several times, but on those occasions they were helpfull because they did not use the excessive power they have been given.. They just showed up to make sure everything was ok, or as I've seen showed up to help someone with a broken down car, or bring a can of gas, stuff anyone could do without a huge amount of power.. I have tons of respect for those guys.

But I don't respect the bastard who calls me guilty without any proof over speeding and threatens me and I have no way to defend myself. First.. it's speeding.. Nobody takes it seriously, and neither do the cops. If it was really dangerous there would be zero tolerance and a LOT much more enforcement, but speed limits tend to be arbitrary rather then scientific.. and everyone knows it, but it's an easy way to "guilty unless proven inoccent" your way into some extra revenue.

Too many people are just not responsible enough for the power they are given, and with police it's far more evident, because conflict with them is conflict with the law, so you feel far more wronged if one of them fucks up as opposed to say.. a cashier at a grocery store. Cops about the one person who screws up and your faced with a 200 dollar fine and jail time.. kind of sucks

(btw my last rant was longer.. and was only about the one situation.. yeah, good thing its gone)

• Like 2

I knew a kid that I used to hang out with when we were kids. One night he got drunk and high and evaded the cops on a high speed chase through 3 towns (about 30 miles) until he got in a head on collision killing a teacher on a 4 lane highway.

They lowered the speed limit from 55 MPH to 45 MPH. This stretch of highway is two lanes in each direction with a center median lane and it is straight for about 3.5 miles.

Another example is a friend of my wife's whose parents were in an accident and they broke their necks on impact because of their shoulder seat belts. Her friend has gotten fined multiple times for not wearing her seat-belt because she blames the seat-belt for taking away her parents (wrong or right, I respect her decision).

The police are not responsible for making the laws that strip away our rights and hard earned dollars. However, the discord comes from the fact that the police enforce the laws they choose to enforce (choosing items from literally hundreds of thousands of pages of the written laws). The blind eye is often used in favor of the citizen and other times in favor of the generation of revenue.

An example of laws that are not often enforced would be fining jay-walkers on city streets. Under the same guise as "speed traps" or "red-light traffic cameras", police could easily set up "walk traps" to fine or arrest jay-walkers every time they cross the street outside of a crosswalk or when the crosswalk light is red. Instead, similar type laws are usually only enforced with vehicles and it does generate revenue in the process. Both jaywalking and speeding/running stop signs or red lights pose a threat to "public safety". The police in my neighborhood turn on their flashing lights to stop traffic in order to allow people to cross illegally out of crosswalks, thus aiding in their breaking the law.

Police are not any more corrupt than any other profession (maybe lawyers and politicians should be excluded from this statement), as they are recruited from the general population. It is seemingly more (the stated 30%-40%) only because they have an authoritative role in society and it makes news when some screw up. If a Walmart employee steals money or merchandise, it doesn't make headline news!

• Like 1

I think corruption plays a small part. Bullying behavior, road piracy, racist banter, enforcement only when he/she feels like enforcement make up the bulk of the 30-40% clowns. The majority are good people, but its the LARGE AND ACTIVE MINORITY that people hate.

Edited by bigsal
  • Like 4

Personally, I don't see why the hatred for cops that I read over and over again. First off, they are us. They are members of the community that they serve. I would almost bet, that it is a thankless service that they preform, as it seems a lot of people have a negative experience with them. But I truly believe that that is a lot of the own peoples fault. Not always, but a lot of the time. You could not pay me enough money to do what these guys do. They put their life on the line every time they pull someone over. Yes, their are crooked cops, just as there are crooked civilians. But when you need them, they are there, or within a few moments, to do the best that they can do to help. At first, I wanted to say, that thank God I live in a small town where everybody knows every body, but that has changed, as the cops here just want to "log their hours"in so that they can become State Troopers. That didn't used to be the case a couple of years ago. But, they still utilize the skills that they have and serve the community well, for the very most part. Also, I lived in Houston for 12 years and had several Law Enforcement friends there, and the main objective of theirs was to be able to go home after a shift and still have all 10 fingers and all 10 toes and live to tell about it the next day. No different than you and me non-cops. Yeah, they have good days, and yeah, they have bad days. No surprise there. For all the people that think that they have been screwed over, put yourself in their shoes. Would you be willing to do it? For all the people that REALLY have been screwed over, I don't know what to offer you. A little courtesy and friendliness will go a long way. (and yes I've seen the YouTube videos where nothing on Gods Green Earth would help). There are corrupt cops and even agencies. I don't even know how to begin to deal with them, except with a good lawyer. But most Law Enforcement professionals will treat you with respect, if you treat them with respect. Maybe you could even try telling them thank you once in a while.

• Like 2

Personally, I don't see why the hatred for cops that I read over and over again. First off, they are us. They are members of the community that they serve. I would almost bet, that it is a thankless service that they preform, as it seems a lot of people have a negative experience with them. But I truly believe that that is a lot of the own peoples fault. Not always, but a lot of the time. You could not pay me enough money to do what these guys do. They put their life on the line every time they pull someone over. Yes, their are crooked cops, just as there are crooked civilians. But when you need them, they are there, or within a few moments, to do the best that they can do to help. At first, I wanted to say, that thank God I live in a small town where everybody knows every body, but that has changed, as the cops here just want to "log their hours"in so that they can become State Troopers. That didn't used to be the case a couple of years ago. But, they still utilize the skills that they have and serve the community well, for the very most part. Also, I lived in Houston for 12 years and had several Law Enforcement friends there, and the main objective of theirs was to be able to go home after a shift and still have all 10 fingers and all 10 toes and live to tell about it the next day. No different than you and me non-cops. Yeah, they have good days, and yeah, they have bad days. No surprise there. For all the people that think that they have been screwed over, put yourself in their shoes. Would you be willing to do it? For all the people that REALLY have been screwed over, I don't know what to offer you. A little courtesy and friendliness will go a long way. (and yes I've seen the YouTube videos where nothing on Gods Green Earth would help). There are corrupt cops and even agencies. I don't even know how to begin to deal with them, except with a good lawyer. But most Law Enforcement professionals will treat you with respect, if you treat them with respect. Maybe you could even try telling them thank you once in a while.

What does an honest man have to worry about?

Thats part of the problem, many of them are good guys, but its the 30-40% of them that are on a power trip that people have issue with.

...Because honest men never get victimized by the cops right?

• Like 3

No. I'm not that naive. I know that shit happens all the time, and it doesn't matter if you are in a small town or bigger burg. Or if you are black or white. The shit that goes down in those locals are likely going to happen weather you are there or not, and sometimes because of the color of your skin, unfortunately. For the most part, the people that decide to become cops do it for the right reasons though. There are assholes in every area of our life, but unfortunately, the ones that decide to become cops can make your life hell, if they want to. For the asshats that decide to prove who is KING or whatever, - SUE the fucking shit out of them and get it stopped. I would hope that the good cops in the ranks would be able to weed out the bad ones eventually. In a small town, enough lawsuits would effectively shut them down, as they don't have the money to fight all the lawsuits. But, like I say, a little courtesy goes a long way.

• Like 1

"There's no way to rule innocent men. The only power any government has is the power to crack down on criminals. Well, when there aren't enough criminals, one makes them. One declares so many things to be a crime that it becomes impossible to live without breaking laws."

-- Ayn Rand

• Like 2

Well once "innocent man" gets into Congress or Senate, all bets are off. I tend to believe that the Law Enforcement guys are, for the most part innocent and want to do the right thing by protecting their community. They join into it with the right intentions, anyway. The Congress people and the Senate are a whole 'nother group of animal however. They would sell their souls or their mother for a $5 cent campain contribution. Did you see the latest trial of Louisianna Democrat William Jefferson? This fucktard stood to make millions upon millions of $ for his shenanigans. He was turned in because a bitch said she was cheated out of millions because of his cheating ways. Yes there are cops that look the other way, yes there are cops that deal under the table, but when you need them and depend on them, these guys won't let you down for the most part. One of my best friends became a cop, and I couldn't hardly believe it, because of the stuff we did when we were kids. He isn't in it for the money (HaHa, or lack of), but to try and make our town a better place. Maybe you should get more involved in your community.

Well once "innocent man" gets into Congress or Senate, all bets are off. I tend to believe that the Law Enforcement guys are, for the most part innocent and want to do the right thing by protecting their community. They join into it with the right intentions, anyway. The Congress people and the Senate are a whole 'nother group of animal however. They would sell their souls or their mother for a $5 cent campain contribution. Did you see the latest trial of Louisianna Democrat William Jefferson? This fucktard stood to make millions upon millions of $ for his shenanigans. He was turned in because a bitch said she was cheated out of millions because of his cheating ways. Yes there are cops that look the other way, yes there are cops that deal under the table, but when you need them and depend on them, these guys won't let you down for the most part. One of my best friends became a cop, and I couldn't hardly believe it, because of the stuff we did when we were kids. He isn't in it for the money (HaHa, or lack of), but to try and make our town a better place. Maybe you should get more involved in your community.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FpWpdcR63ms

• Like 2

Just an interesting thing I found, in the Jan. 2010 issuwe of Hot Rod magazine. The Editor-In-Chief's letter in the front of the magazine addresses this same issue. The article was written by David Freiburger. Maybe you should all take a moment to review it next time you are at the checkout stand, or where ever you Hot Rod Mag is sold. I can't really convey what he has to say about law enforcement, but all you non-believers really should take a look.Yes, I've had a few bad run in with cops, but all in all, they are decent guys that are trying to keep the communities that they live in also a better place to live. The old saying, a dog don't shit where it eats comes to mind.

The ones that pull you over while fishing for drunks at 01:30, saying you ran a red light when you hadn't & you know you hadn't because you saw them approaching you from the front, while you were waiting at your red left turn light, riding the ass of another car, which you assumed was being checked out, so you made sure you were "driving Miss Dasy" & you are CERTAIN that you watched your light turn green & this was reinforced by the fact that both the cop & vehicle he was following stopped for their red, while your left turn light turned green.

Then they act all offended when you look at them like they just lied to your face (because they did), so they give you the ticket anyhow, after of course stealing your spare Glock-17 mag out of your car while looking for 15 minuets for your Glock which you clearly told them was right under your front seat & the butt of the pistol was even visable, but they use the excuse that they didn't see it to illegaly search the rest of your vehicle before finding it exactly where you said it was.

Then when you go to court because you pled not guilty, they totally dumbfound you by compleatly fabricating a different scenerio of the supposed "facts" leading up to the traffic stop, & deny things that they innitially said to you while they pulled you over that prove the inconsistencies of the current story that their spinning to the judge. (who they were joking around with & apparently on a first name basis with as you entered the courtroom) . Such as NOW there was never a car in front of their crusier that stopped before you made your left turn, & their light was never red.

And in short tarnish the view & credibility of the ENTIRE legal system to the individual these injustices were perpetrated against, therefore supplying yet another person with a deep distrust of those in the position that they hold & the law in general.

That is one example of what an honest man has to worry about. :unsure:

All honest men must worry about that because society relies on the people being able to trust these instatutions.

If they come upon the rare case that breaks that trust, it takes a while to regain it.

People will not trust the institutions & they will turn inward & not work with the institutions.

All because some guy wanted to fulfill his narcissistic needs & show himself that he was the law, this one man can defame the names & credibility of all those surrounding his profession that his victim comes in contact with.

He is more of an enemy to the legal system than any single "criminal" ever could be.

Edited by Paulyski
  • Like 1

The ones that pull you over while fishing for drunks at 01:30, saying you ran a red light when you hadn't & you know you hadn't because you saw them approaching you from the front, while you were waiting at your red left turn light, riding the ass of another car, which you assumed was being checked out, so you made sure you were "driving Miss Dasy" & you are CERTAIN that you watched your light turn green & this was reinforced by the fact that both the cop & vehicle he was following stopped for their red, while your left turn light turned green.

Then they act all offended when you look at them like they just lied to your face (because they did), so they give you the ticket anyhow, after of course stealing your spare Glock-17 mag out of your car while looking for 15 minuets for your Glock which you clearly told them was right under your front seat & the butt of the pistol was even visable, but they use the excuse that they didn't see it to illegaly search the rest of your vehicle before finding it exactly where you said it was.

Then when you go to court because you pled not guilty, they totally dumbfound you by compleatly fabricating a different scenerio of the supposed "facts" leading up to the traffic stop, & deny things that they innitially said to you while they pulled you over that prove the inconsistencies of the current story that their spinning to the judge. (who they were joking around with & apparently on a first name basis with as you entered the courtroom) . Such as NOW there was never a car in front of their crusier that stopped before you made your left turn, & their light was never red.

And in short tarnish the view & credibility of the ENTIRE legal system to the individual these injustices were perpetrated against, therefore supplying yet another person with a deep distrust of those in the position that they hold & the law in general.

All honest men must worry about that because society relies on the people being able to trust these instatutions.

If they come upon the rare case that breaks that trust, it takes a while to regain it.

People will not trust the institutions & they will turn inward & not work with the institutions.

All because some guy wanted to fulfill his narcissistic needs & show himself that he was the law, this one man can defame the names & credibility of all those surrounding his profession that his victim comes in contact with.

He is more of an enemy to the legal system than any single "criminal" ever could be.

If you do not know and exercize your right's, YOU HAVE NONE. Do you know how bad an officer hate's to have a complaint filed on him/her? And what they go through if a complaint is made.

You must make THEM honest, And keep them honest. Now get a tissue, and get busy.

If you do not know and exercize your right's, YOU HAVE NONE. Do you know how bad an officer hate's to have a complaint filed on him/her? And what they go through if a complaint is made.

You must make THEM honest, And keep them honest. Now get a tissue, and get busy.

No tissue needed... Downers maybe, but no tissues.

Anyhow, I guess I never thought about fileing a complaint on him. I never have been a rat. Even when people have seriously wronged me. But you do have a point

I have experianced pissing off the cops when I was young & dumber & they all seemed to team up on me. I couldn't go out at night without getting pulled over. It really sucked.

But this guy IS in another county, so it would be more unlikely that I will ever run into him again.

After what I personally experienced, I wouldn't put anything past this guy.

I think I will. Yeah, I already convicted on a bullshit charge, but at least the report can pile up on his record.

The fact still stands however, that sometimes people do have to worry.

Not always, but sometimes, & unfortunately, you don't know who is who, until it's too late.

• Like 1

No tissue needed... Downers maybe, but no tissues.

Anyhow, I guess I never thought about fileing a complaint on him. I never have been a rat. Even when people have seriously wronged me. But you do have a point

I have experianced pissing off the cops when I was young & dumber & they all seemed to team up on me. I couldn't go out at night without getting pulled over. It really sucked.

But this guy IS in another county, so it would be more unlikely that I will ever run into him again.

After what I personally experienced, I wouldn't put anything past this guy.

I think I will. Yeah, I already convicted on a bullshit charge, but at least the report can pile up on his record.

The fact still stands however, that sometimes people do have to worry.

Not always, but sometimes, & unfortunately, you don't know who is who, until it's too late.

Bingo.

• Like 2

...An example of laws that are not often enforced would be fining jay-walkers on city streets. Under the same guise as "speed traps" or "red-light traffic cameras", police could easily set up "walk traps" to fine or arrest jay-walkers every time they cross the street outside of a crosswalk or when the crosswalk light is red...

Now, that would be a revenue generator!

- One of my employees accidentally called 911... 9 for an outside line 1 for long distance and 1 for international. The officer who showed up was very nice and professional even though this completely wasted his time. I wonder how often that happens.

- Two weeks ago, my 4 year old called 911 because her stuffed kitty fell off the bed and her pre-K had taught her to only call 911 if she was scared, hurt, or someone was hurt. Her kitty counted as hurt and it scared her. The officers who showed up were again, very nice, even though their time was completely wasted.

- I was at the range last weekend and a LEO came over to watch me shoot my S12 and XD 9. He was very curious about the S12 but declined my offer for him to shoot it.

Now, 5 years ago, I had 2 50 cc mopeds and had parked them in a place with no parking restrictions. A LEO had them impounded for being in a parking restricted area and was a total dick about it. By total dick I mean, sarcasm, threats, lectures on why you can't park these on a public street (which I still don't understand when it crosses my mind)... but all of these reinforce to me that I have bad days at work and so do LEOs. I have to do things I don't like at work and so do LEOs. I have authority over employees and some of them resent me for it while others think I'm the nicest guy around.

If I put pressure on everyone in my org structure to max out revenue, we'd probably drive a lot of revenue and piss off a lot of customers. I think LEOs are exactly the same... and none of them aspired to law enforcement to become revenue generators at the public's expense.

Given the proper crappy work environment and work stresses, this cop would be a dick too.

Anime Cops.bmp

I don't know bigsal, you posted that it was surprising that we agreed about something in my "Buy American" thread, I think our points of view are closer than you might think. Sure we butt heads on some topics, but if we only said, "yes sir", to every comment stuff would be pretty freaking lame.

Anyone who thinks innocent people never get fucked with by the police are living in some strange fantasy land, if you haven't watched this series, prepare to get an eye-full. For the most part, "authority" figures should be treated with the same suspicion that they give you, otherwise you're a fool. The only officer I trust is a guy I've known for 16 years; otherwise, you're just another asshole, until you prove that you're an actual "good cop" and not just playing the good cop/bad cop game. Sorry that it has come down to that, but bad officers have permanently tarnished every officer's reputation; if you actually want to fix it, flush all the trash down the toilet; treat citizens with respect, not like criminals; prove that officers aren't above the law and can do anything to anyone without fear of repercussion. I would love to live in a society where I could trust officers, unfortunately, I just can't.

The Largest Street Gang in America - A Compilation About Police Brutality in America [PART 1]

http://www.liveleak.com/view?c=1&i=a73_1251661761

The Largest Street Gang in America - A Compilation About Police Brutality in America [PART 2]

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=5ad_1251663926

Summary from the producer...

"This is the longest video I’ve ever uploaded; hopefully it will be the largest for a while. The content necessitated a slightly longer presentation than normal, since one of my reasons for making it was to see just how much a person could watch before the light comes on and they realize there is a serious problem. The way this kind of stuff is usually seen is as ind More..ividual clips, independent of similar clips, and with no context or explanation. That makes it too easy for people to dismiss it as an isolated event. As I mention in the video I cut back as much as I could. It could have been twice as long and still not have put a dent in the content available to me. Hopefully it wasn’t too long for internet viewers or too short to make an impact.

This video is a broad stroke. As with every snapshot of a group, it should be understood that it is not an attack on each individual within that group (except of course for those barbarians that were in the video). Rather it focuses on the organization as a whole. And the truth is that this organization is producing an increasingly destructive force in our communities. To see them operate reminds me of a street gang more than anything else.

When a cop is more concerned with extracting fear or respect from citizens then with upholding the law, the line between cop and mobster begins to blur. They demand that everyone simply roll over and do as they say. If that compliance isn’t gained immediately, honor is replaced with ego and the abuse ensues.

I admit that I know some police myself and have met the occasional respectful, honorable and well meaning officer (though in all honesty I can count them on a single hand). In my own life’s experience and the experiences of everyone I have spoken with about this though, it appears that the honorable cop is in the minority.

Regardless of the percentage though, the ‘few bad apples’ argument isn’t valid. Even if it were true that only a few police were bad (i.e. breaking the law and abusing Americans) It still would remain a pressing issue, because when a cop is ‘bad’ it results in things like torture, kidnapping and murder. For this to happen even once is unacceptable. We know however, that it’s all too common.

The question though, is “Why?” I think the culprit here is two-fold; human nature and the system that produces and regulates the police. Within that system there are several elements that go into creating a thug out of an average Joe.

One of course is accountability, or the lack there of. When a person is placed in a situation where there is no accountability; its human nature to exploit that situation.

Another major problem is more abstract. It’s the propaganda that feeds the myth that police are somehow more than human or that everyone else is less.

This propaganda has created a class of citizens that are regarded as superior to all others. Both citizens and police are manipulated by this mindset.

What frustrates me the most are the people that feed into this propaganda; cheering on abusive police and mocking their victims. How can anyone see this video of the woman being shot and still believe that they only target thugs or people that break the law? That woman looks like a participant in a bake sale or someone you would meet at her kid’s soccer game. Honestly, what makes you think that a cop sees you any differently? Because you’re white? Rich? A Vietnam Veteran? If you aren’t a cop - you aren’t immune and deep down everybody knows this. After all, who among us actually feels good when they see a cop in their rear-view mirror, regardless of their legal status?

The police that were once part of the community have now become a community unto themselves. They protect their own; regardless of the crimes they may commit and do so usually at the expense of law abiding citizens. The blue wall of silence needs to be torn down.

The police have been manipulated and believe what they are doing is acceptable, just as much as the civilians they herd like wild animals believe it is lawful. We as a nation have asked for more police with heavier weapons and stricter laws, while simultaneously giving up our rights and ability to protect ourselves. We, together with the police, whether by action or inaction have created this situation and so are all responsible for it.

I wonder sometimes if any cops actually realize that every time one of them takes it upon himself to malign, degrade or abuse an American citizen, he is doing his part to push us ever closer to a totalitarian state and the destruction of a free America.

All police, like all individuals in the military and members of congress each need to make a conscious decision “Am I an agent of the State or of the People?” “Do I defend the life and liberty of my fellow American or the expansion of authoritarianism?” You can’t have it both ways. I hope for the day when riot cops again encircle us and at least a single officer breaks ranks to join his fellow Americans in the exercise of freedom. An unlikely scenario, I know, but perhaps some of them will realize that a paycheck is a lot easier to replace than honor.

In the end, no one is evil simply by wearing a badge just as no one is honorable for doing the same. The truth is that every individual is responsible for their own actions. And those actions (not an outfit or career) can make men heroes or beasts.

If you want respect; earn it.

As for my fellow citizens that didn't get a job on the Force, you need to take immediate action to turn the tide. If you don't, it will be your children that suffer under an even more oppressive and untouchable force. Soon we may find ourselves in a position where turning the tide is no longer a possibility. What then will you tell your children, when they ask you what you did with your remaining freedoms before turning them over to the whims of the Police State?"

Edited by vbrtrmn

Well, should just lurk and keep out of this but... first as a former LEO I can say the training today is only about 100 K better then back in my day..aka the stone age... BUT, IMHO today's LEO academy's are turning out a new breed who are taught that everything is US against THEM...US has a badge, THEM don't, one of my long time friends put himself thru the academy paying out of his own pocket to make a better life for his family, I still love him like a brother but in truth he's turned into a badge happy prick, if I make a joke about green brownies or cookies he gets all bent out of shape... now this guy is about 50 years old folks and I'm in my 60's, I tell him to lighten up and in his deepest cop voice tells me "DRUGS ARE NOT A JOKING MATTER !!" folks it don't take a lot of this crap to piss off the Pope...

As a former LEO I would remind you all that something like, from the last report I heard,over 90% of the people in prison were there because they couldn't keep their mouths shut...my advice is to answer no questions. I was stopped a while back and was asked if I had drugs or guns in the car, I asked what I was being stopped for, the reply was speeding, so I gave him my DL and Insurance card and reg papers. I never answered his question,he wrote me my ticket and I left... I had no dope, but I had about 10 guns in my truck...hard to try to explain a S 12, an AK, 3 AR's and many handguns, and a couple hundred lbs of ammo...except I'm a shooter ,I shoot match's...I would still be in that jerk water hole in the wall ...

Sorry for the long post, but , answer at your own risk... when they are fishing why give them the bait?

In this day and age most are not your friend....

It really has very little to do with the profession & everything to do with personality types.

If you put the same types in my profession, they would be the guy looking to lock people in seclusion or 4 point restraints.

Put them in the insurance industry & they would deny claims.

Put them at the DMV & they... Well we have already filled the DMV with them.

When it comes down to it, we as a society need to figure out why people are motivated to feel like they need to be assholes.

A lot likely has to do with morale.

If we could only preform psychological testing like reality shows, with a bunch of people on camera 24-7 it may be easier, but that would be cost prohibitive.

But assholes are everywhere. We just notice them more when they have positional authority over us.

Do try to remember the cool cops that just took your beer when you were a teen, without calling your folks, or just gave you a warning when they could have cited (& arrested) you for reckless driving, but they didn't because there was nobody else on the road when you decided to drift that curve. They just reamed your ass & let you go.

As we all know we remember the bad more than the good.

We see a uniform before a person.

But there really is a normal person with the internal struggles that we all have underneath those uniforms.