small quantities of 5.45 non-corrosive ammo

Does anyone know of a place to buy 5.45 non-corrosive ammo in small quantities? My wife will practice mostly with the corrosive stuff, but it seems prudent to load her mags for self-defense with non-corrosive stuff. (Maybe I'm thinking too far ahead, but what if she had to shoot someone, and turn the rifle over to the police for evidence, I wouldn't want it to rust).

My local sporting goods place has new production Barnaul 5.45x39 (sold under the store brand of "Monarch"). Place is Academy Sports and Outdoors.

Thanks.

I see 5.45 Barnaul on the Internet, but it's all in quantities too large for my purposes. I don't think there is an Academy Sports here, but I'll start asking some of the larger gun shops about whether they stock 5.45. Would be nice to find some online though...

I shot the Silver Bear and Barnaul 60 grain non corrosive this last weekend and it shoots great and is clean! Was not shooting off the bench but it was accurate at 50 yards and no Keyholes! This is good stuff. They come in 30 round boxes (about time the box matches the magazine capacity!) The Silver Bear is Zinc plated case and the Barnaul is lacquered. I was very impressed as to how clean it shoots! bought 240 rounds of Silver Bear for $57.

One thing I've noticed that chaps my ass!

When the AR 5.56 is compared to the AK 5.45 the AR has a 20" barrel and the AK has the 16" barrel with comp. (STD AR vrs AK74) When they do chronograph shots you'll notice the AR = 3000 + FPS (with 55gr M193) and the AK74 = 2950 FPS (with 53gr Russian issue) This is not real world as the majority of AR users have a shorter barrel and are shooting a heavier bullet. I want to see real world test shots, one thing I know for sure, the AK74 testing is the real deal! Let's see the same from the AR!!!!!!!!!! If we see real world test shoots, I'll bet there is not that much difference!

This reminds me of the old days when they posted revolver ammo specs with unvented test barrels!

Man, I'm old!

Frosty

Edited by Fluid Power
  • 2 months later...