Gas Piston replacemet with rivet or Loctite?

Define violent. The rod is a piston that travels back and forth. If I understand how it's put in there, with threads, you won't see it come all the way out without a major malfunction. Won't the piston, if it is backing out, create "length" in the entire rod? If that happens won't the piston bottom out in the gas chamber and prevent the bolt from actually locking into battery? If that happened, you remove the bolt carrier, re-tighten the rod/piston, and voila' , back in business.

Simple solution is to just put a rivet back in, or a roll pin, and sand it off smooth with a Dremel. Locktite should work. It's designed to be a thread "glue" of sorts that keeps the threads tight, even if heated and cooled.

Edited by AKsarben

Define violent. The rod is a piston that travels back and forth. If I understand how it's put in there, with threads, you won't see it come all the way out without a major malfunction. Won't the piston, if it is backing out, create "length" in the entire rod? If that happens won't the piston bottom out in the gas chamber and prevent the bolt from actually locking into battery? If that happened, you remove the bolt carrier, re-tighten the rod/piston, and viola, back in business.

That is exactly what happens. For most Americans, it'd be a minor inconvenience on range day. Say "Hi" to Viola for me.

Simple solution is to just put a rivet back in, or a roll pin, and sand it off smooth with a Dremel. Locktite should work. It's designed to be a thread "glue" of sorts that keeps the threads tight, even if heated and cooled.

The rivet is the ticket (or a roll pin, if you've got extras). All else is a gamble.

Edited by nalioth

Due to the direct exposure to the hot gases Im sure the main issue would be the heat not mechanical vibration so even the hardest curing Locktite would turn to jelly like it is designed to do so it could be removed. The problem is not slow fire but rapid where the heat builds to several hundred degrees approaching temps in the chamber itself. You might be able to find the max temp for that piston and compare to locktite specs but Im positive it far exceeds it.

JB Weld would work as its designed to withstand that level of heat but that would be permanent and I doubt you want that but then thats your call.

Mechanical makes the most sense, locktite the least.

Edited by Rhodes1968

The rivet or roll pin is the best. However, there is mention of heat. I don't think there is that much heat on that part of the piston. True, the end near the gas port will get hot, but way down the line, I wonder just how much heat is at that point. For locktite and JB Weld I really don't think that heat is an issue.