I've heard conflicting opinions about preloading magazines. That is, keeping the magazines loaded at all times as opposed to just before you intend to go shooting. Does it really wear out the spring if you keep mags loaded for long periods of time? How much, generally? (I know it depends on the kind of mag, probably.) How many of you do it anyway for readiness purposes, even if it does wear down the spring?

Edited by JanusthePhoenix

I've heard conflicting opinions about preloading magazines. That is, keeping the magazines loaded at all times as opposed to just before you intend to go shooting. Does it really wear out the spring if you keep mags loaded for long periods of time? How much, generally? (I know it depends on the kind of mag, probably.) How many of you do it anyway for readiness purposes, even if it does wear down the spring?

I keep all my mags loaded all the time. My S&W 5946 mags have been kept loaded for the last 16 years (other than when I have shot at the range of course) and have never had a problem.

I wish I had a nickel every time this question gets asked.

Spring do not wear out when they're static. That means that empty or loaded, the springs are fine.

It is the cycling that wears out springs. That means that if you are an avid competitor, your mags will suffer spring failure from the repeated load/unload cycles before the guy who keeps his mags loaded for years at a time's mags will.