Home made cheek piece (sorta)

After my recent conversion on my 308, in which I used a Choate drag stock, I was left without a cheek piece to raise cheek weld for optics.

I found a cheek piece of an ATI Mauser stock, that screwed on, but I wanted it to be removable without tools, for iron sight shooting, this was my solution.

I used 1/4" multi hole hitch pins thru the cheek piece, had to file the holes out a little bit with a chainsaw file, but left them real tight so the pins wont fall out, the screw holes in the cheek piece were already countersunk, so the heads of the pins are hidden and out of the way.

017.jpg

I marked and drilled the stock where I wanted the piece, leaving these holes rather snug also, though not as tight as those in the cheek piece.

I used hitch pin retainer clips to hold the cheek piece on the stock.

015.jpg

016.jpg

Next, I marked and drilled the bottom of the stock, so I can keep the piece with the rifle, even when I am shooting open sighted, and it can be moved from top of stock, to stowed on bottom without tools.

018.jpg

I have got into many shooting positions, and nothing seems to be in the way, I will probably take the pins out and cold blue them at some point.

• Like 2

No, its not padded, and its not Choate, the stock is, but the cheek piece is off an old ATI Mauser scout stock. I wasn't too worried about padding, just wanted something to raise cheek weld, and be removable without tools.

Edited by mav

Hey MAV, What kind of rail is that you are using?? Does it have sights on it or something??

The rail is a TWS dogleg, yes, it has a flip up aperture, and I would recommend it to anyone, its a quality part.

mav, you inspired me to make my own cheek piece, I'll get some pics tonight, maybe. I took some special packing foam I found at work, wrapped and affixed it to a piece of DIN rail about 3.5" long. I took a screw and ran it down through the foam and a hole in the rail, into the hole on the Choate stock. Then I took an old black sock, cut the toe out of it, and wrapped it over and under the rigid rail.

It looks a lot better than I'm describing it, I was surprised at the result. I can still use the iron sights if I rotate it sideways, but I mainly use the scope, so its not really an issue.

mav, you inspired me to make my own cheek piece, I'll get some pics tonight, maybe. I took some special packing foam I found at work, wrapped and affixed it to a piece of DIN rail about 3.5" long. I took a screw and ran it down through the foam and a hole in the rail, into the hole on the Choate stock. Then I took an old black sock, cut the toe out of it, and wrapped it over and under the rigid rail.

It looks a lot better than I'm describing it, I was surprised at the result. I can still use the iron sights if I rotate it sideways, but I mainly use the scope, so its not really an issue.

Looking forward to seeing it!