So today I went out to the deep dark woods of Idaho in order to test steel core ammo of various calibers. With the recent surplus of 5.56 SS109 (Green Tip Stuff) on the market and the avalability of 7.62x39 IMI AP200 (Black Tip Stuff) that is stateside I thought I would test both against a 3" steel plate. I used an Arsenal SLR 106FR for the 556 side and a converted RAA saiga for the 7.62x39 side.

img0888jw.jpg

As many of you know, the 5.56 round is a great round for Women, Cops and generally people with low tolorences for mild recoil. The 7.62x39 round, a real mans round, tends to be my go to caliber. However in my testing I found the SS109 Went into the steel plate 1/2 a mm deeper than the AP200, while the AP200 was able to create a marginally wider hole.

img0890n.jpg

I really want to test this stuff against some actual aromor in the coming weeks as time/budget allow. Stay Tuned Bitches! :smoke:

Edited by bigsal
  • Like 8

Interesting, I would have though the 7.62x39mm AP200 rounds would have penetrated deeper than, or at least as deep as, the .223 SS109 rounds. Just goes to show that one can't say anything for sure until its been tested. What range were you shooting that 3 in. thick steel plate at? Are you going to try some regular .223 and 7.62x39mm full metal jacket rounds as well (might be interesting to see how vanilla FMJ rounds compare to the SS109 and AP200)?

Edited by Frogfoot
  • Like 1

Interesting... It's a little known fact or at least it was until I started researching level III and IV plate body armor.

5.56 especially the 55gr stuff is problematic for steel body armor. In the case of steel the high velocity 55gr 5.56 is much more difficult for steel plate armor to stop than even .308. (wierd I know)

Thanks for the good post, I love seeing this kind of stuff be tested. I look forward to future tests.

• Like 1

NOTE: I forgot to mention in the picture of the plate above, the darker/deeper holes are the SS109 and the wider, greyer holes are the AP200.

Interesting, I would have though the 7.62x39mm AP200 rounds would have penetrated deeper than, or at least as deep as, the .223 SS109 rounds. Just goes to show that one can't say anything for sure until its been tested. What range were you shooting that 3 in. thick steel plate at? Are you going to try some regular .223 and 7.62x39mm full metal jacket rounds as well (might be interesting to see how vanilla FMJ rounds compare to the SS109 and AP200)?

I thought the same thing, but the 556 made a smaller slightly deeper hole. Now, regular FMJ round just fragment against plates of this thickness, so it would be safe to say, both types of ammo tested were fairly successful.

Interesting... It's a little known fact or at least it was until I started researching level III and IV plate body armor.

5.56 especially the 55gr stuff is problematic for steel body armor. In the case of steel the high velocity 55gr 5.56 is much more difficult for steel plate armor to stop than even .308. (wierd I know)

Thanks for the good post, I love seeing this kind of stuff be tested. I look forward to future tests.

Thats interesting indeed. Actually my Buddy has a vest from when he was in the service, he said I could use it as a target, but said it would only stop 9mm rounds (I would imagine this is level III or less). I'd like to score some IV level stuff rated to stop 7.62x54r and repeat my experiment with that. I have a feeling steel core ammo is basically a penetrating round against anyone not inside an armored vehicle, But we'll see.

• Like 4

Cool test, I have been wanting to try the same thing but can't find any AP rounds.

They are hard to find, true, and they cost nearly $1 a round when you do find them! Now, you can get the mild steel-core chinese stuff all day long for a lot cheaper, I'd go that rout.

• Like 5
  • 2 weeks later...

The big question in my mind is will Level IIIa soft armor behind steel armor stop xm193 and similar 5.56 threats.. I think I might try to do some testing with some scrap steel and some old level IIIa soft armor behind it to see if it will stop the round... I'll keep you guys posted.

I figure that IF the soft armor will stop XM193 after passing through mild steel then it should definately stop it after level III steel armor right??

The big question in my mind is will Level IIIa soft armor behind steel armor stop xm193 and similar 5.56 threats.. I think I might try to do some testing with some scrap steel and some old level IIIa soft armor behind it to see if it will stop the round... I'll keep you guys posted.

I figure that IF the soft armor will stop XM193 after passing through mild steel then it should definately stop it after level III steel armor right??

IIIa should not be a problem. IV is where 556 rounds start to have issues.

• Like 3

IIIa should not be a problem. IV is where 556 rounds start to have issues.

No, I mean I want to find out if III steel armor used with IIIa soft armor will stop all 5.56 threats (hopefully so). III steel plate will stop most 5.56 rnds but will not stop the lighter stuff (55gr and less).