Took my maadi ak to the range yesterday along with an sks and an s12. The sks and 12 were super fun, however the ak had the most trigger slap i've ever felt. I know i can switch out to a tapco trigger to solve the problem, or i can grind sections of my trigger off. What are my trigger options other than tapco (single hook btw)? Any advice is appreciated.

Don't go after the hammer or you may unintentionally end up with an unlicensed NFA weapon. I agree, replacing the FCG is the most efficient way to solve the problem.

WS

...I do not include Century or Arsenal FCGs in the list, as they provide "slap", too.

I don't know about Century FCGs, as I have no experience with them. However, I have fired several rifles with Arsenal FCGs installed and I have never experienced any trigger slap whatsoever while using them.

...I do not include Century or Arsenal FCGs in the list, as they provide "slap", too.

I don't know about Century FCGs, as I have no experience with them. However, I have fired several rifles with Arsenal FCGs installed and I have never experienced any trigger slap whatsoever while using them.

Are these Arsenal FGCs in Arsenal rifles?

• Like 1

In case anyone cares, i just went with the tapco (from css). I did check out the others though and i appreciate all the input. The texas trigger seemed promising, however i was scared with all tension adjustments that i'd end up with a hair triggered full auto and cut a zipper up the range staff if i let out a rogue sneeze. As a side note, i'm thinking of ordering this for my SKS, looks pretty slick.

I think it's like 200$ for the bullpup conversion.

One was in a SLR107, (Bulgarian), the rest were in SGL20's and SGL21's, (Russian). All were sold as "Arsenal" rifles.

• Like 1

In case anyone cares, i just went with the tapco (from css). I did check out the others though and i appreciate all the input. The texas trigger seemed promising, however i was scared with all tension adjustments that i'd end up with a hair triggered full auto and cut a zipper up the range staff if i let out a rogue sneeze. As a side note, i'm thinking of ordering this for my SKS, looks pretty slick.

I think it's like 200$ for the bullpup conversion.

Okay, now I'm confused (and think you are, too). The only AK FCG that is adjustable is the Red Star Arms unit. The Texas AK Triggers unit just has improved engagement surface geometry.

One was in a SLR107, (Bulgarian), the rest were in SGL20's and SGL21's, (Russian). All were sold as "Arsenal" rifles.

Well, there ya go. The Arsenal guns all have the overtravel stop plug stuck in the bottom of the receiver (the big-ass "rivet" we all hate to remove during conversions). This keeps the long tail from dipping down and letting "trigger slap" happen.

Arsenal FCGs used in non-Arsenal long guns do not have this plug to stop this behavior, and this combination has been widely reported to provide trigger slap.

• Like 2

Well, there ya go. The Arsenal guns all have the overtravel stop plug stuck in the bottom of the receiver (the big-ass "rivet" we all hate to remove during conversions). This keeps the long tail from dipping down and letting "trigger slap" happen.

Arsenal FCGs used in non-Arsenal long guns do not have this plug to stop this behavior, and this combination has been widely reported to provide trigger slap.

Ohhhhhhh... as soon as I read this I immediately field-stripped and inspected the SGL21 that I have handy. I now see the "plug" that you're referring to.

I was thinking recently that I might want to remove this Arsenal FCG and replace it with a Tapco G2, (for a shorter pull). Would the presence of this "plug" interfere with the operation of the G2 or any other US AK FCG?

Edited by post-apocalyptic

Ohhhhhhh... as soon as I read this I immediately field-stripped and inspected the SGL21 that I have handy. I now see the "plug" that you're referring to.

I was thinking recently that I might want to remove this Arsenal FCG and replace it with a Tapco G2, (for a shorter pull). Would the presence of this "plug" interfere with the operation of the G2 or any other US AK FCG?

No tail - no interference. The plug is there to stop the tail from pivoting downward too far (believe it or not, the Century FCG won't give you trigger slap if used in an Arsenal gun [ because of that overtravel rivet ]). The Tapco, TAKT and RSA triggers don't have tails (and don't have trigger slap).

• Like 3
  • 3 weeks later...

Don't grind off the trigger. Go to this website and read the instructions for grinding off the disconnector tail. Follow the diagram and you'll eliminate this painful trigger slap. I removed the disconnector tail and my trigger slap went away on my Saiga 7.62x39. Don't remove material from the bottom only the tail!

http://forum.pafoa.org/gunsmithing-44/7048-ak-trigger-slap-doubling-fix.html

I'm sure this forum has other instructions for eliminating trigger slap if you do a search on it.

I got it all figured out uzi tiger... i needed to do the whole compliance thing anyway so i just went ahead and purchased a tapco replacement. the info provided will help if i experience the slap with the tapco so thank you very much for that. my maadi is off getting parkerized and cerakoted. when she comes back i'll install the new trigger and post some pictures and what not.