Ace Folding Stock Sling Mount

Greetings all,

I have been unsuccessfully trying to find a sling mount for my Ace skeleton folder. As you can see from the pics, I am using an internal block and my folding mechanism does not have the screw hole normally used for a sling swivel.

gallery_12679_397_61848.jpg

gallery_12679_397_19027.jpg

Rather than drilling and tapping the folding mechanism, I thought I might try to attach a swivel to the stock tubes themselves. I found two potential solutions that would allow me to do this, but I need to know the exact diameter of the skeleton stock tubes for it to work. Does anyone know the tube diameters, or has someone already found a different solution not involving the swivels shown below?

gallery_12679_397_14869.jpg

gallery_12679_397_12106.jpg

BTW I've tried searching the archives, and I've studied the photo galleries at length. I'm feeling pretty stupid right now, and I really hope someone can help. (I'm OCONUS or I'd try to measure them myself.)

Regards,

Sapper

Edited by Sapper
  • Like 1

I just measured mine with a tape measure, not calipers, but it seems to be 3/4". Pretty sure on that.

Thanks Rob, I'll go with 0.750" diameter on the skeleton stock tubes. Anyone else got any ideas on this or other solutions? Thanks!

Regards,

Sapper

Thanks Corbin! Now I have to decide whether to attach the sling to the top tube or the bottom tube since the swivel bands in the above pics are sold by diameter and aren't universal. I'm using a rail-mounted front sling swivel on a DPH tri-rail so I have a lot of flexibility up front. But what do you guys prefer (tactical top, AK-style side or traditional-bottom slings)?

I carry my S-12 slung for African Carry, which is muzzle down on the rear of the left shoulder. I learned in an Urban Carbine course how to do an instant mount with an accurate immediate first shot using the African Carry. So my S-12 has the sling on the right side to facilitate this. I have one of Cobra 2's vented factory forend with a short secion of rail on the bottom. Mounted to it is a 90 degree short rail (oriented to the right side)intended for a handgun, which also has a short section of rail on the bottom. My tac light/laser from CSS is on the bottom, and I have a rail mounted sling swivel on the right. I use a green cotton web AK47 military sling with a U-shaped spring loaded clip on the front, and the sling looped around the buttplate of the Ace folding buttstock at the rear. It's effective and handy, and makes mounting and firing quickly and accurately an easy maneuver, if one knows the instant mount from African Carry.

I carry my S-12 slung for African Carry, which is muzzle down on the rear of the left shoulder. I learned in an Urban Carbine course how to do an instant mount with an accurate immediate first shot using the African Carry. So my S-12 has the sling on the right side to facilitate this. I have one of Cobra 2's vented factory forend with a short secion of rail on the bottom. Mounted to it is a 90 degree short rail (oriented to the right side)intended for a handgun, which also has a short section of rail on the bottom. My tac light/laser from CSS is on the bottom, and I have a rail mounted sling swivel on the right. I use a green cotton web AK47 military sling with a U-shaped spring loaded clip on the front, and the sling looped around the buttplate of the Ace folding buttstock at the rear. It's effective and handy, and makes mounting and firing quickly and accurately an easy maneuver, if one knows the instant mount from African Carry.

StarPD,

I'd love to see a pic of your rig if you've got one. Thanks.

Regards,

Sapper

I don't have a picture of it yet, so I'll have to take one, Sapper. I'll do that later today.

Then I'm not sure how to post it, since I'm a computer dummy. I'll try for you though.

BTW, I made a mistake in my post. The sling is oriented to the LEFT side, not the right. That way the mag and bottom of the forearm are oriented to the left, or "outside" when slung so I can grab the bottom of the forearm with my left hand and perform the maneuver.

Edited by StarPD

I tend to run mine with a 2 point sling and often carry it "African carry" with the muzzle downward on my support (weak) side shoulder. I've got the sling attached on the barrel with a covered loop of cable, so it can rotate. On the rear, it's attached around the buttpad, as I've not yet bothered with a separate sling mount and it seems to work well enough as it is. As a lefty, that means it's attached with the sling coming out the right side.

wp1.jpg

The only down side to being a lefty with this setup is when I throw the shotgun over onto my back for a transition, the charging handle jabs me in the back. :cryss:

Corbin

Edited by Corbin
  • 1 year later...

Greetings all,

I have been unsuccessfully trying to find a sling mount for my Ace skeleton folder. As you can see from the pics, I am using an internal block and my folding mechanism does not have the screw hole normally used for a sling swivel.

Rather than drilling and tapping the folding mechanism, I thought I might try to attach a swivel to the stock tubes themselves. I found two potential solutions that would allow me to do this, but I need to know the exact diameter of the skeleton stock tubes for it to work. Does anyone know the tube diameters, or has someone already found a different solution not involving the swivels shown below?

gallery_12679_397_14869.jpg

gallery_12679_397_12106.jpg

BTW I've tried searching the archives, and I've studied the photo galleries at length. I'm feeling pretty stupid right now, and I really hope someone can help. (I'm OCONUS or I'd try to measure them myself.)

Regards,

Sapper

Where did you get this? I need one also.

for some reason, I don't know why ACE just didn't put a sling attachment point on their stock. that was just one of the buying points for me not to go with a ACE stock, rather I went with a DPH stock.

right now, I got a short piece of 550 cord and looped it through the hole, and then put a sling on it. the sling isn't a gun sling, rather it's a nylon webbed long brief case shoulder strap with a padded shoulder piece, the hooks are swivel kind that you see on dog leads. it's long enough where I can hang it off my shoulder and shoot my S12 from the hip. I picked it up at a garage sale for 50 cents.

I'm serious things of fabricating a round bar that goes through that hole and tall enough that it clears the top part of the stock so I can attach the hook onto it. and spot weld the opening of it close. anyway it would look better then a looped 550 cord.

post-22408-0-23203400-1314732616_thumb.jpg

Edited by Matthew Hopkins