.223 worth buying?

Heading to a tax free gun show tomorrow.. Family has asked me to pick out a gun on them for xmas.. I was leaning toward the saiga .223.. But I already have 7.62/.308/12 and was wondering if theres any point..

The two things I was wondering about were

ammo prices:

7.62 vs .223 I couldn't find a huge difference in price, and as I'm more of a 7.62 guy I'd rather spend money on 7.62 ammo if the price is the same anyway... I shoot a lot, so a few cents on a round would be really good.

Reliability:

And no, I don't mean legendary AK reliability for whether the system will jam or not, bla blah.. I know it's awesome.. I mean a lot of the saigas in .223 seems to have issues from what I've read on this forum- mainly feeding issues.. Done a good bit of reading but this is my sort of last minute question for the final decision...

If I don't go for the .223 I'd probably pick up a taurus 1911 or pt92.. or maybe I'll get suckered into a pistol and a .223.. I don't know.. Basically wanting opinions....

Edit: Just had to edit it because the topic name isn't really fair- I think the .223 is worth buying, I was more asking is it worth buying for someone in my position

Edited by volkov

i would definetly get one they are plenty accurate and you have so many ammo options and most importantly you dont have to rely on foreign ammo. My question is where people getting all this reliabilty problem info from. as long as you use mil spec mags and a bullet guide or surefire or factory mags there will be no issues. if your running promag and having jams thats your own fault.

• Like 2

I would go for 5.45x39 saiga if I were you. Ammo is dirt cheap compared both to 7.62x39 and .223 you can get 2000+rnds for 2 and 1/2 Franklins. The .223 is a good SHTF rifle expecially with the ar15/m16 mag adaptor. .223 is a plus if you reload since those ar15 people always leave piles of brass at the range (thanks for the brass :zorro: )

BTW CLEMSON LOST

Edited by Coal_forge
  • Like 1

In regards to any reliability issues with the .223, personally I am of the belief that many of the issues are posted on this board are less than ideal install of the bullet guide. I went the surefire mag way and have zero malfunctions as of yet. Makes me a happy camper.

Seeing as how your hesitant on the .223 thing as it offers no savings in ammo, similar accuracy to your .308, I would opt for the pistol. Or take a strong look at a saiga in 5.45, lots of bang for your buck. Not to mention compliment that 7.62 pretty well. Heck, no tax? I know I would end up with the pistol and a saiga in 5.45. Impulse buys!

• Like 1

I would also point at the 5.45 for a smallbore saiga choice; however I will add this annecdote:

I took my 5.45 and .223 saigas to the range a few weeks ago. I shot some corrosive milsurp through the 5.45 and some wolf through the .223. I came home and cleaned the 5.45x39mm thoroughly, hot soapy water& scrub, dry, cleaned with hoppes and patches & re-oiled. I let the .223 sit. 2 weeks later I came back to check on the rifles and clean the .223. I found I had not cleaned the 5.45's recoil spring well and half of it was orange with rust- It cleaned up pretty well but illustrates how important it is to clean after corrosive. The .223 was fine, no issues at all. I cleaned it anyway. If you can't always clean throughly, consider the .223 over the 5.45.

Edited by JK-47
  • Like 1

yeah... If I get the 5.45 I'll have corrosive and non-corrosive ammo stocked- If I'm only going to fire one gun might as well go corrosive since I only have to clean one afterwards.. If I'm bringing multiple guns would go non corrosive since less shots fired and less time to clean per gun.

I would also point at the 5.45 for a smallbore saiga choice; however I will add this annecdote:

I took my 5.45 and .223 saigas to the range a few weeks ago. I shot some corrosive milsurp through the 5.45 and some wolf through the .223. I came home and cleaned the 5.45x39mm thoroughly, hot soapy water& scrub, dry, cleaned with hoppes and patches & re-oiled. I let the .223 sit. 2 weeks later I came back to check on the rifles and clean the .223. I found I had not cleaned the 5.45's recoil spring well and half of it was orange with rust- It cleaned up pretty well but illustrates how important it is to clean after corrosive. The .223 was fine, no issues at all. I cleaned it anyway. If you can't always clean throughly, consider the .223 over the 5.45.

Hmm...didn't realize you have to clean the recoil spring too. Mine didn't rust last time I fired it and didn't clean it...go figure.

I thought that with corrosive ammo, you needed to clean only the barrel, gas tube, gas block, gas piston, bolt, and firing pin. Since I just fired 100 rounds through today, and followed just this regimen, it would be nice to know what else I've missed.

Thanks.

Jim

• Like 1

I'd go for Jim Beam, unless you can afford Woodford!

Oh, don't forget the .22 rimfire!

My kid can shoot your eye's out a 25 yards with his Rossi sporting a 3X9 scope.

If you have a ton of 7.62X39 go for that! If not, the .223 is a better choice (more accurate)

Now have a cold one!

Frosty (don't call me that for nothing!)

• Like 1

funny that I just finished a beam and coke.. haha

as far as 7.62 goes.. another would be nice, but I'd like to go for something different.. And I like the 7.62 more than the .223, would basically only buy a .223 if it had something to offer that my other saigas/aks don't.. the 5.45 has cheap ammo.. that makes it VERY appealing... never know though, tax free gun show.. who knows what I'll "have to have".. regardless of if I can afford it

Don't forget, the cheapest 5.45X39 is corrosive ammo! Works as good as the rest!

As I have both 7.62X39 and .223, it's nice to be able to buy military surplus mags and have them fit with just the addition of a bullet guide. The 7.62X39 you must mod the latch and use a guide. With the .223 if you use a guide you still need to mod the mags to fit. It's an advantage of the 5.46X39 to just grab a mil spec mag and go!

Beam you say? With Coke (non of that diet shit?) Damn that sounds good!

Frosty

• Like 1

I got a 223 in late July or early August and I like it, haven't had any problems, and it's accurate.

But I also agree with the others on the 5.45, ammo is still cheap, I would have gotten one of these but I already had a few thousand rounds of 223 and everything to reload it.

• Like 1

A few comments:

First of all, JK47, your avatar is absolutely hilarious! Chuck claims to have gone hunting this fall, so maybe he'll become "a real gun guy" (thats a joke BTW)

Secondly, TAX FREE week? On guns? I live in NY state (not NYC) and have never heard of such a thing!

Anyway, I love my .223 and ammo is cheap and easy to get. Even during last summer's ammo shortage, I was able to find .223 cheaply.

Like others have said, buy 'em all when there is no tax and lots of competition. Good luck!!