So I'm getting a AR15 lower soon and instead of getting a nice set of wood furniture (and the hardware to attach it) for my Saiga I plan to get a complete upper assembly. But I'm a little overwhelmed with what to get. I want to do this on somewhat of a budget. It's not that I want something dirt cheap, but on the other hand I can't go out and get a LaRue upper either. I'm looking at the 16in, mid length barrel. Any suggestions?

I just ordered a complete AR upper form Del-ton with their black friday deal last week about $380 shipped. Del-ton from what i have seen has a very good rep for the money, and i did a lot of research before pulling the trigger. I just didnt want to spend tons for my first experience with an AR. Nice thing is they are so modular i can always upgade part by part if i want to. I was very tempted to go for their midlength upper with fold down front sight for $425, but decided i wanted carbine length due to the number of options out there for that length.

So i too am taking the AR plunge.

I just ordered a complete AR upper form Del-ton with their black friday deal last week about $380 shipped. Del-ton from what i have seen has a very good rep for the money, and i did a lot of research before pulling the trigger. I just didnt want to spend tons for my first experience with an AR. Nice thing is they are so modular i can always upgade part by part if i want to. I was very tempted to go for their midlength upper with fold down front sight for $425, but decided i wanted carbine length due to the number of options out there for that length.

So i too am taking the AR plunge.

Del-ton? I haven't checked them out yet. Sounds like we're in the same boat. I really just want to get a RRA can call it day, but I heard their quality can be kind of "meh". I like carbine length but I always thought a midlength had more options, am I wrong?

Come on down to the Gun Show at the Expo this weekend and look around. I'm doing some AR shopping this weekend as well.

Yeah I'll be down there either Saturday or Sunday I'm not sure. Thanks again everyone for the help.

I like carbine length but I always thought a midlength had more options, am I wrong?

Midlengths are catching on more and more. But there's undoubtedly more carbine length AR's floating around. Really, the only difference in options you're going to find is handguards. Everything else will fit either carbine or middies.

So I'm getting a AR15 lower soon and instead of getting a nice set of wood furniture (and the hardware to attach it) for my Saiga I plan to get a complete upper assembly. But I'm a little overwhelmed with what to get. I want to do this on somewhat of a budget. It's not that I want something dirt cheap, but on the other hand I can't go out and get a LaRue upper either. I'm looking at the 16in, mid length barrel. Any suggestions?

Bravo Company makes some very nice mid-lengths....I think they are on sale for $425 on their site right now.

Bravo Company makes some very nice mid-lengths....I think they are on sale for $425 on their site right now.

Yup.

Just for info's sake, standard BCM uppers don't come with handguards/BCG/charging handle/rear site. But I highly recommend BCM for a real go-to AR. You can't go wrong with a BCM-anything. I've got 2 middies, both running BCM BCG's and one with a BCM Gunfighter charging handle. I trust my life with either setup.

So I just went by my local gun shop today, they had a few assembled upper halfs. They had a Stag Arms A2, chrome lined barrel, a 1:9 twist, flat top, flip up rear sight. It was priced at $529. Decent price?

From a quick search, that seems to be average. Stag is great for the money. I had one (sold it to fund another project, now regretting selling it) and it performed great.

Just to be clear, it does come with a BCG and charging handle, correct? At that price, it should. Mine did, and so do all the one I just found while looking up the price.

So I just went by my local gun shop today, they had a few assembled upper halfs. They had a Stag Arms A2, chrome lined barrel, a 1:9 twist, flat top, flip up rear sight. It was priced at $529. Decent price?

From a quick search, that seems to be average. Stag is great for the money. I had one (sold it to fund another project, now regretting selling it) and it performed great.

Just to be clear, it does come with a BCG and charging handle, correct? At that price, it should. Mine did, and so do all the one I just found while looking up the price.

I didn't get a good look at the whole kit but it seemed like good quality. Hopefully I can find something at the show tomorrow.

I didn't get a good look at the whole kit but it seemed like good quality. Hopefully I can find something at the show tomorrow.

BCM goodness.....

post-20640-12601432961783_thumb.jpg

post-20640-12601433082153_thumb.jpg

BCM goodness.....

How you liking that GunFighter charging handle? I love mine. After using it for one handed charging, using a regular charging handle feels flimsy. Gotta love BCM stuff. I can't say enough good things about Paul and BCM.

BCM goodness.....

How you liking that GunFighter charging handle? I love mine. After using it for one handed charging, using a regular charging handle feels flimsy. Gotta love BCM stuff. I can't say enough good things about Paul and BCM.

Once you switch to the BCM Gunfighter you will never want to go back :super:

BCM goodness.....

Once you switch to the BCM Gunfighter you will never want to go back :super:

It's funny, but it's true. Over on Arfcom, there's a lengthy thread about them, and the majority of users have opted to swap out their regular CH's for GunFighters. It feels that good, and helps relieve some of the stress put on the handle with one-sided charging.