WASR Questions

Can someone clear up some questions on WASR's for me? I've read so much crap about them I don't know fact from fiction.

Are they military "rejects tested to destruction"? Are they made from used mix-match parts or is each rifle newly constructed? Is opening up the mag well the only alteration US importers make to them? Are all WASR's the same (aside from the stock type)? Finally anything to avoid when it comes to considering a WASR?

Edited by Jpanzer

Are they military "rejects tested to destruction"?

No. Originally, the WASR line was made from parts rejected for use in military Kalashnikovs, but still quite usable for civilian rifles. Currently, the Romanians have appeared to take a page from our book, and are rebuilding former Romanian military AKs into WASRs. This is where you might get a "well used" specimen.

Are they made from used mix-match parts or is each rifle newly constructed?

See above.

Is opening up the mag well the only alteration US importers make to them?

No. Century also replaces the FCG, pistol grip and gas piston (and the slant brake on the models that have one) for 922r purposes.

Are all WASR's the same (aside from the stock type)?

The WASR-10 (and 10/63) rifles are chambered in 7.62x39. The WASR-2 is chambered in 5.45x39 and the WASR-3 comes in .223 Remington/5.56x45 Nato.

Finally anything to avoid when it comes to considering a WASR?

If it passes a functions check at the shop, and the barrel attachments (front sight block, gas block, rear sight block) aren't WAY off center, it should be quite fine.

• Like 2

I'm considering a WASR as a cheap backup rifle.

It would be fine with me if the barrel is well used and the fit & finish is crappy.

If it goes bang and can get a 3" - 4" group at 50 yards that would be great.

I also wouldn't want to pay much for it though, sub $300 for sure.

• 1 month later...

I have the WASR-3 (.223/5..56mm) and have had zero problems with it. It is a good SHTF rifle. I narrowed all my rilfes down to one caliber.....223 remington. so it was a good fit

The only problem is that if I needed a bolt, firing pin,I don't know if it is a Ak-74 Bulgarian...can't find the origin. the gunsmith folks at CAI won't give you an answer for whatever reason. This is the only bitch I have about it. It eats my reloads, Wolf, winchester, Olin, Federal...eats anything.

I don't think you could go wrong with any of the WASRs....

my .02

I have the WASR-3 (.223/5..56mm) and have had zero problems with it. It is a good SHTF rifle. I narrowed all my rilfes down to one caliber.....223 remington. so it was a good fit

The only problem is that if I needed a bolt, firing pin,I don't know if it is a Ak-74 Bulgarian...can't find the origin. the gunsmith folks at CAI won't give you an answer for whatever reason. This is the only bitch I have about it. It eats my reloads, Wolf, winchester, Olin, Federal...eats anything.

I don't think you could go wrong with any of the WASRs....

my .02

It's Romanian and good luck finding replacement parts for it. Your best advice is to find SAR-3 or WASR-3 junk guns/parts.

The problem is that the .223 AK was never standardized among the different countries, and each country built their .223 AK the way they wanted to, and not to the any standard (as the 5.45x39 and 7.62x39 AKs are).

I am looking to possibly get an WASR from a major online gun dealer for around $500 with FFL and shipping. I know that this may sound like alot but I live in the Comi-run state of NY. And it actually seems like an OK deal considering the last gun show I went to all the AK's were going for like a $1000 (This was at the height of the gun ban fear from the new Obama Admin. a year ago) Plus it comes with a couple of Pre-ban mags that are hard to order online to NY.

But, I do have serious reservations about buying a WASR sight unseen. I am also considering getting basic saiga instead. But I am sure the time and parts to convert it will cost me well more than $500. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

The only problem I have had with the wasr I purchased last October(my first ak style riffle) is that it seems to reproduce once per month. Last time I checked my safe now has the wasr, an arsenal conversion Saiga 7.62x39, a couple of Mosin-Nagants, a newly converted Saiga 12, and a soon to be converted Saiga .308 that is do next week.

The wasr has never failed to fire, never really shot it for accuracy, but it is fun.