Venting the handguard - couple of questions on cutting the plastic

I bought a small slide vise from Harbor Freight to mount to my drill press. It works very well in cutting straight lines with a router bit. I've been playing around with my original buttstock (the plastic is the same as the forearm). When cutting the plastic, it turns a lighter color (grayish) - to those of you that have vented your handguards, how did you clean up the edges and the coloring?

I see that this guy (http://www.stu-offroad.com/firearms/saiga/saiga-1.htm) used a black magic marker, haven't tried it yet - but I'm looking to see what everyone else did.

one thing no one ever mentions about cutting saiga fore arms is that is has some kind of firber glass in it.so wear a long sleve shirt and rince your self off with some cool water when done. Also there is a steel reinforcement at the FWD.end that you will not want to run into. Personaly I really like the saiga fore arm stocks they fit may hands and shoot good off sand bags but should have come vented from the factory. also I used a lead pencil to draw out my lines not a marker.

• 2 months later...

How about cutting and venting a Tapco Galil handguard? Do you run into the same problems as the others? I want to do it to mine but want a nice clean look.

Hi Dave,

Did you ever do this? If so, do you have any tips on doing it cleanly?

Thanks.

Jim