Need a stock

I'm getting my sporter model soon and I don't want to do any conversions on it. Im ok with the added length on the rifle and the only thing I want to change is the hunting stock. I've seen the Tapco AR type stocks and the skeletonized stock but are there anymore available that don't require and modifications? Preferably a thumbhole dragunov style one. I live in NY and I'm sure I don't need to go further on the gun laws here. I'm mainly just looking for a good thumbhole style stock that fits onto the sporter without any conversions. Thanks for the help

I'm getting my sporter model soon and I don't want to do any conversions on it. Im ok with the added length on the rifle and the only thing I want to change is the hunting stock. I've seen the Tapco AR type stocks and the skeletonized stock but are there anymore available that don't require and modifications? Preferably a thumbhole dragunov style one. I live in NY and I'm sure I don't need to go further on the gun laws here. I'm mainly just looking for a good thumbhole style stock that fits onto the sporter without any conversions. Thanks for the help

I've only seen wooden thumbholes, so you would need to change the forend too, and that requires some modifications and/or more parts. Check some of the vendors out on the main forum page, you need to scroll down a bit. They may have something I haven't seen...

Out of curiosity, why don't you want to convert it?

Well I'm 19 years old and I have literally no experience whatsoever in modifying guns. I have a few guns already but none have been modified. I just dont trust myself modifying it yet.

Well I'm 19 years old and I have literally no experience whatsoever in modifying guns. I have a few guns already but none have been modified. I just dont trust myself modifying it yet.

You sound just like me, I too was very hesitant to convert. First thought were, You want me to do what? I dont have the tools you're crazy.

then......

http://forum.saiga-1...showtopic=48209

oh and this is the after pictures.

http://forum.saiga-1...showtopic=48482

Long story short, you will not regret converting. I waisted more time making excuses why i didnt want to than it took to do the conversion. Its alot easier then you think. And it will make a world of diff in the rifle TRUST ME.

But hey if you dont want to after the advice you get here dont worry about it, it is still your gun and no one elses. Just my 2 cents from personal experience. Just give it some good thought before you make a decision.

Oh and you might actually have better luck with the thunbhole stock style after conversion. I do not know thought im not into the thumbhole type.

Edited by chevyman097

You sound just like me, I too was very hesitant to convert. First thought were, You want me to do what? I dont have the tools you're crazy.

then......

http://forum.saiga-1...showtopic=48209

oh and this is the after pictures.

http://forum.saiga-1...showtopic=48482

Long story short, you will not regret converting. I waisted more time making excuses why i didnt want to than it took to do the conversion. Its alot easier then you think. And it will make a world of diff in the rifle TRUST ME.

But hey if you dont want to after the advice you get here dont worry about it, it is still your gun and no one elses. Just my 2 cents from personal experience. Just give it some good thought before you make a decision.

Oh and you might actually have better luck with the thunbhole stock style after conversion. I do not know thought im not into the thumbhole type.

I'll definately consider it. I just didn't wanna dive headfirst into something I wasn't familiar with. I'll read up and start getting some tools and see where it gets me. Either way its gotta be a great gun whether or not its converted. But I do agree 100% its gotta be much better after the conversion. Many more options and its really a true AK.

I'll definately consider it. I just didn't wanna dive headfirst into something I wasn't familiar with. I'll read up and start getting some tools and see where it gets me. Either way its gotta be a great gun whether or not its converted. But I do agree 100% its gotta be much better after the conversion. Many more options and its really a true AK.

Where-abouts in NY are you? I'm in NY and am willing to help you convert. I've done two so far and it's easy to stay within the law. There a lot of benefits to converting, including a vastly improved trigger pull, better ergonomics and you learn the inner-workings of your firearm better.

Here are my beasts :

2qnsbhv.jpg

Drop me a private message if you wanna do a conversion and think you need a little help.

Edited by Big Boss

Sounds like me too. I had my X39 for over a year before these guys convinced me to convert it. After all is said and done, you will look back and say, that wasn't bad at all. Just depends on your wallet and mechanical skill. Don't need much, but some will help. Plus feel free to ask us questions and read the old content. More info than you will ever need is on this forum. But like Chevyman said, it's your gun do with it as you please. Most will say you are wasting your money going with the thumbhole stock though. Either way good luck and welcome.

Good idea, just read up, watch some videos http://www.vimeo.com/2787027 this one is great! it helped me. And like big boss said, let people know what state u are in, there is tons around the forums willing to help in any way. ONce you do it you will not regret it! promise.

Dont feel like we are pressuring you into it either, dont let anyone pressure you into it. Just would love for you to be informed before you make a decision. Because i waited to do my conversion and i regreted it. I am even more attached and love my gun that much more for doing it!

Whatever your decision is in the end, its your gun and make the decision you want, all saigas are welcome here!

Edited by chevyman097

all the tools you realy need are a cheap dremel a drill and a screwdriver punches and files help also.

Thanks for the link to the two posts. I checked out the video on Vimeo's website and it lays it out pretty well. I think I'll give it a shot now that I've seen the conversion done in motion. It helped a ton into seeing each step.

I think there is a factory stock that you can try.

http://www.mississippiautoarms.com/saiga-skeleton-stock-p-119.html?zenid=bcba06991ec10985ef5c1c654ca19347

This is a russian part and not a compliance part.

This is the only skeleton-stock I can think of, that would work on an unconverted Saiga. But I see you're already leaning towards converting. I would highly recommend it. Chevyman has already posted the video I like to whore out. It's the best, as far as a basic conversion goes, IMO.

There's a few of us NY'ers here. NailBomb, IndyArms, MCPNY, BigBoss, myself and a few others. Any one of us would be more than willing to answer any NY-specific questions you may have.

Welcome to the forum!

Why not take your time, read, study and ask questions here and then decide if you are up to the task. If you wind of converting you will gain a lot more from this then a properly restored AK. You will gain self-confidence and ability and will always have your rifle as a memento of when that happened.

Happy New Year!

http://www.mississippiautoarms.com/saiga-skeleton-stock-p-119.html?zenid=bcba06991ec10985ef5c1c654ca19347

This is the only skeleton-stock I can think of, that would work on an unconverted Saiga. But I see you're already leaning towards converting. I would highly recommend it. Chevyman has already posted the video I like to whore out. It's the best, as far as a basic conversion goes, IMO.

There's a few of us NY'ers here. NailBomb, IndyArms, MCPNY, BigBoss, myself and a few others. Any one of us would be more than willing to answer any NY-specific questions you may have.

Welcome to the forum!

Where in NY are you guys from? I'm out on the east end of Long Island.

Welcome to the forum!

Where in NY are you guys from? I'm out on the east end of Long Island.

I'm in the Binghamton area. NailBomb and Indy are up in Central NY. I'm not sure about the others.