Surefire 10rd Doesn't Lock In

has anyone had issues with this? i just got a saiga 12 and the 5rd clip it comes with locks in fine and the 10rd doesn't lock in.. how do i fix that?

Is the bolt open when you load? If not try locking the bolt back first or loading it one or two shells light.

WS

has anyone had issues with this? i just got a saiga 12 and the 5rd clip it comes with locks in fine and the 10rd doesn't lock in.. how do i fix that?

Is the bolt open when you load? If not try locking the bolt back first or loading it one or two shells light.

WS

i've been trying it wtih just the empty magazine, but i tried it with the bolt back just now and still no luck. it seems as if it's not quite getting far enough in for it to lock over the little edge of the magazine. i was gonna try sanding it down or something slightly but figured i'd post first

WS

i've been trying it wtih just the empty magazine, but i tried it with the bolt back just now and still no luck. it seems as if it's not quite getting far enough in for it to lock over the little edge of the magazine. i was gonna try sanding it down or something slightly but figured i'd post first

Before you go after your mag, try a couple of other (non factory fitted) mags first. Might be the tang length. I've run into a couple of S12's that had overly long tangs. Not sure how they do that in Russia. You would think the length would be consistent but that is not always the case.

WS

Before you go after your mag, try a couple of other (non factory fitted) mags first. Might be the tang length. I've run into a couple of S12's that had overly long tangs. Not sure how they do that in Russia. You would think the length would be consistent but that is not always the case.

should i go with AGP or surefire if i'm currently having issues with surefire? it seems like that little line they have around the surefire clips, that protrusion, is preventing it from getting in far enough

WS

should i go with AGP or surefire if i'm currently having issues with surefire? it seems like that little line they have around the surefire clips, that protrusion, is preventing it from getting in far enough

Any of them should work with your S12. I'm not suggesting you go out and buy mags to try, but if you have a friend with a couple of mags, I suggest you try them in your gun before you go after the mag or the tang. If they won't go in you may have a problem with the tang. If they do, it's probably a problem with the mag itself.

Good luck, and happy New Year!

WS

WS

Any of them should work with your S12. I'm not suggesting you go out and buy mags to try, but if you have a friend with a couple of mags, I suggest you try them in your gun before you go after the mag or the tang. If they won't go in you may have a problem with the tang. If they do, it's probably a problem with the mag itself.

WS

yeah i don't have any friends that have them, but i was reading a listing on gunbroker and it mentioned something about one of them mags in the auction being modified to fit a converted magwell... the saiga i got is converted but i honestly don't even know if it means that the magwell is converted too, i don't know enough about them yet.. it already has a thumbhole grip on it and a rail and all that, is it possible that it has a converted magwell?

WS

WS

yeah i don't have any friends that have them, but i was reading a listing on gunbroker and it mentioned something about one of them mags in the auction being modified to fit a converted magwell... the saiga i got is converted but i honestly don't even know if it means that the magwell is converted too, i don't know enough about them yet.. it already has a thumbhole grip on it and a rail and all that, is it possible that it has a converted magwell?

See if you can get a couple of good pictures of it and post them. That will help those of us on the other side of this see what you are working with.

WS

WS

WS

See if you can get a couple of good pictures of it and post them. That will help those of us on the other side of this see what you are working with.

WS

i feel like an idiot, i really tried slamming it in hard and it worked, like i said i just got this gun so i guess i was just trying to be cautious.. it just doesn't lock into place as easy as the one that comes with it

WS

WS

WS

i feel like an idiot, i really tried slamming it in hard and it worked, like i said i just got this gun so i guess i was just trying to be cautious.. it just doesn't lock into place as easy as the one that comes with it

It's a little known fact that factory mags are literally hand fitted to each gun at the factory. If you check yours, you are likely to find the last four of the serial number written in pencil on the mag.

Sometimes I guess, you just need to use a bigger hammer!

Time to rock and roll!

WS

• Like 1

I feel like an idiot, i really tried slamming it in hard and it worked, like i said i just got this gun so i guess i was just trying to be cautious.. it just doesn't lock into place as easy as the one that comes with it

If you file just a little (a few thousandths to a hundredth of an inch or so) material from the bottom of the rear locking tab on that magazine, the 'B' fitting, then it would probably lock in easier. In the MD Arms section of this forum there is a sticky with instructions for how to fit the MD-20 drum, which also applies to Russian factory mags, and should also work for other box mags (like Surefire). Just make sure you check to see if you need to do any 'A' fitting first, before you start doing the filing for the 'B' fitting.

• Like 1

^^^What he said...^^^

WaffenSchmied is correct about the Rusky mags being fitted to the firearm.

The link Frog foot refers to from Mikes drum should help you.

Mike copied the Russian instructions for his instructions.

Do make sure it fits properly. You want the mag catch to fully engage.

And just a heads up.... Calling mags clips on this forum will inevitably draw some unwanted comments.

Good Luck, & Welcome to the forum!

Jesse, one out of three new Russian 5 round mags I bought did the same thing your Surefire did. I cured it by fitting it as far in as I could, then slapped the base smartly a few times until it locked in place, just like you did with your Surefire. Then I inserted and removed it probably around 10 times or more, and each time, it got a little easier to lock in. Now, it works perfectly like the others do. I was hesitant to remove material, afraid I'd make it loose. Now I'm glad I didn't remove any material. I guess forcing it may have worn some material off, but if it did, it only took enough off to make the mag lock in place and remain snug when in place.

Good luck.