Ammo question concerning Cabelas

Happy New Year!

I'm getting ready to start the new year off right by going to Cabela's. I'm going to be looking for 308 ammo and was wanting to know if they sell good ammo that will work for my 308? If I remember correctly, the last time I was there, only one ammo manufactuer was on the shelf. I can't remember what it was. But is there any danger of buy "bad" ammo that won't work in my saiga?

Don't know of "bad" ammo. Don't think they have any of the surplus that was corrosive. Shot hundreds of rds of wolf, bear and other surplus ammo through converted rifle. Shot hunting rds through unconverted rifle. Plinking, shooting for hunting/accuracy? Cabela's mainly sells commercial brands. Sometimes have a deal on 200rd cases of Winchester. :smoke:P.S. If buying larger amounts, go to some of the mass sellers. Ex. Sportsmans Guide or AIM. Cabela's just can be a little high.

Edited by Ruffian72

Cabela's is an old and established company. You will do fine there, but if you wind up buying corrosive, just spray the gun down with Windex at the range, and then clean it good when you get home. No problems.

You should be fine at Cabela's Watch for coupons and specials and you can make out pretty good.

As far as ammo goes, no matter where you buy it, stay AWAY from Indian 308, Egyptian 9mm, Dominican 50BMG, and the cheap bulk pack shotgun shells at Wally World.

All are known to cause problems and are unsafe.

Indian 308: Inconsistent ignition, hangfires.

Egyptian 9mm: Velocities all over the place, extremely corrosive.

Dominican 50BMG: OVERPRESSURE. Has blown up guns.

Wal-Mart Winchester bulk shotgun shells: Stuck wad from low pressures. The next round down the tube can burst your barrel.

Mr. Correctorson,

Before you flame me for this use your search function and you'll see I'm right.

Cabela's is an old and established company. You will do fine there, but if you wind up buying corrosive, just spray the gun down with Windex at the range, and then clean it good when you get home. No problems.

I have been told that the ammonia in Windex has an adverse affect on the chromium lining, if left on for any material lenght of time..

Windex doesn't really use true ammonia you can tell from the smell and works lovely because of the spray bottle and is fast evaporating. Anything from Evian to pond water would work as long as its water to flush the salt out. Just follow with normal cleaning of course, Ive fired two crates of yugo M67 through mine and not one hint of corrosion. Its all a bit over blown really. I love the stuff and will be getting more as long as it lasts.

Wait a sec what am I saying...stay away from this stuff it will ruin your Ak....err yeah thats it.

I have been told that the ammonia in Windex has an adverse affect on the chromium lining, if left on for any material lenght of time..

If Windex is a concern, just stop at the quarter car wash on the way home and give

it a blast.

Yakdung

If Windex is a concern, just stop at the quarter car wash on the way home and give

it a blast.

Yakdung

you know that is an excellent idea, I like it better than the dish washer.

When I fire corrosive ammo I keep a thing of Sweet 7.62 with me and swab down the bore with a patch or two before I clean my rifle. Then again, I am using ammo for Mausers and Mosin Nagants, so I would believe it would be okay for a Saiga, if not, hot water + patch's at the range should work. :killer: