Your input please....Mounting a red dot on S17

Heres my problem...I have an S17 Tromix and it has HK sights on it. That makes the scope mount unusable because the Hk sight5s get in the way. I wanted to mount a rail on the top cover but I got to thinking that it is not a fixed mount so its really not a good spot. The last idea is the old mounting area where there is nothing right now just behind the gas tube. What are you thoughts on this little problem..Dont get me wrong but the Hk sights I just cant get my head down to see through them...lol

thanks, Slug-O

Heres my problem...I have an S17 Tromix and it has HK sights on it. That makes the scope mount unusable because the Hk sight5s get in the way. I wanted to mount a rail on the top cover but I got to thinking that it is not a fixed mount so its really not a good spot. The last idea is the old mounting area where there is nothing right now just behind the gas tube. What are you thoughts on this little problem..Dont get me wrong but the Hk sights I just cant get my head down to see through them...lol

thanks, Slug-O

Personally I would look at something like this:

http://forum.saiga-12.com/index.php?showtopic=31709

thanks, Slug-O

http://forum.saiga-1...showtopic=31709

WOW I did not know these were made.......... NICE!!!!!!!!!!!!!027.gif

This could be an option for you. This mount fits in the rear sight dovetail and sits very low over the gas tube. I use the Burris Fast Fire, but it will also fit the Doctor sight or with an adaptor you could use the JPoint or C-More STS sights. It is available on the R&R website.

Doug

post-22191-12629201937267_thumb.jpg

thanks, Slug-O

http://forum.saiga-1...showtopic=31709

WOW I did not know these were made.......... NICE!!!!!!!!!!!!!027.gif

Actually that one is just for the ful length gas tube but I'm almost finished with the prototype I'm making specifically for the S-17 and other shorties. Does yours still have the dovetail intact from the original rear sight? It's going to mount between there and the HK front sight.

• Like 1

yes it does........I looked at it last night and all I could say about the dove tail was..wow.there is not alot of metal there...........rolleyes.gif

this job must not be easy with the Saiga's all being just alittle different in the specs.......010.gif

Edited by Slug-O

thanks, Slug-O

Unless you used an offset side mount to clear the H&K's. Unfortunatly I believe you would have to make your own. :unsure:

Leon,we are in the same boat.I would like to have a red dot on mine(same as your Tromix,kross rail etc but no magwell)but there aren't currently any real options.Even using the dovetail on these guns is iffy' because they become loose after lots of shooting,or at least mine has,due to the shorter gas system and the piston "striking" that part of the gas tube.

I think the best option would be for someone(preferably Kross)to make something like this;

KAC_MP5_RAS_Pic_004.jpg

99048-2.jpg

I think this would provide a stable platform to mount an optic since it attaches to the rail and it puts the optic right in the middle of the gun.I think a version of something like this that sits as low as possible with a small section of 1913 rail would be perfect.Put an Aimpoint Micro on it and you're done.

Edited by RRice

Leon,we are in the same boat.I would like to have a red dot on mine(same as your Tromix,kross rail etc but no magwell)but there aren't currently any real options.Even using the dovetail on these guns is iffy' because they become loose after lots of shooting,or at least mine has,due to the shorter gas system and the piston "striking" that part of the gas tube.

I think the best option would be for someone(preferably Kross)to make something like this;

KAC_MP5_RAS_Pic_004.jpg

99048-2.jpg

I think this would provide a stable platform to mount an optic since it attaches to the rail and it puts the optic right in the middle of the gun.I think a version of something like this that sits as low as possible with a small section of 1913 rail would be perfect.Put an Aimpoint Micro on it and you're done.

Yes I see where you are going with this idea. This too could work. While I like something attacned to the rail or upper, this attached to the rail will not move and could be an QD mount thats even better....