breaking it in

The S-12 did not run too good when new so I tried a few things. An old smith advised me to break it in by using a q-tip to put some valve lapping compound on the offending parts. I did just that, cycled it a few hundred times, cleaned it all up and went to the range. That seemed to help a lot. Tried the "gunfixer" plug and that was about worthless.

Getting ready to do the mod now, hopefully it will go well. Any tips and advice greatly appreciated.

There's no substitute like SHOOTING the gun to break it in! It is a GIVEN. Lapping compound is for fitting tight components, not a substitute for cycling the firearm by firing it.

Is there some particular reason you keep dumping on gunfixer's gas plug? Notice you keep mentioning it in several posts despite more seasoned members explanations of other methods to get your gun working.

Good luck!

Do not just willy nilly stick valve grinding compound on the bolt and locking lugs. This is not ONE compound, but rather an abrasive in a grease base that comes in many grits. You can EASILY cause an unsafe condition by removing enough material from the locking lugs to ruin the head spacing.

Just sloping a valve grind compound of unknown grit, and using it on unknown parts of the gun in BAD JU-JU. Like using a Dremmel on stuff when you don't know what the function of the parts could be.

Mine was a little sticky at first, I radiused the edges of the bolt where it rotates, carefully as to not remove any material from the forward or rearward edges, lapping compound will definitely remove enough material to affect critical tolerances. 120grit emery cloth does a fine job, and you can aim it better than lapping compound!