POSP - Surprising performance at the range

Took the POSP 4x24 to the range yesterday with a buddy. Zeroed at 50, groups were good. Moved out to 100, groups excellent. Then out to 200, still good. And then we decided to push it a bit, and took it out to 400 yards. Adjusted for windage etc. Started with a torso sized target. Hit hit hit. Then started using a 1.5 foot diameter hanging metal target. Ping ping ping. I was pretty shocked. With a 4X scope, we were hitting 9-10 withing a 7 inch diameter. My question is, is this normal? I did not think this was within the capabilities of the rifle.

DSC01689.JPG

DSC01691.JPG

That scope looks great on your rifle, and your reports have left me itching to pick one up. Hopefully I'll have the funds shortly. Honestly, though, I'm not _too_ surprised with your success. It steams me every time people confidently blabber that the AK is only a 100 or 200 yard gun. I know that it is capable of better; at least, my Saigas are.

Question, though: Was all your shooting offhand, or were you doing some of that from prone or bench rest? The pictures suggest offhand, but I'm guessing to do that well at 400 yards, you would need a more stable platform.

Jim

That scope looks great on your rifle, and your reports have left me itching to pick one up. Hopefully I'll have the funds shortly. Honestly, though, I'm not _too_ surprised with your success. It steams me every time people confidently blabber that the AK is only a 100 or 200 yard gun. I know that it is capable of better; at least, my Saigas are.

Question, though: Was all your shooting offhand, or were you doing some of that from prone or bench rest? The pictures suggest offhand, but I'm guessing to do that well at 400 yards, you would need a more stable platform.

Jim

Yes, all that shooting was from a bench, and the 400 shots were using a sandbag for most of them.

I will post this again here maybe I will get a quicker answer to my questions.

Just received my POSP 4x24 and it's been to cold to get out to the range. It fit on my SAIGA that was the first test,

I have been just sighting it in using my laser cartridge tool. I read the manual about the lower silver knobs, but if I am lining up the scopes sight point,with the lasers dot. All I have had to do is just turn both knobs to get it lined up. so if the dot is centered with the scope sight point. That's where the bullet will strike. Discounting wind and bullet drop, and how well the bullet is designed for it's flight.

Am I missing something?

Edited by rifleshooter474

This is nudging towards picking up a POSP (especially since prices for Kobras and PK scopes just went up again).

How much is Kalinka's shipping? Do they take Paypal? I'm really leery about sending my credit card numbers to ANY eastern european country...

Kalinka had my scope in stock in Fl. I used my Discover Card shipping was $10 US Mail. I ordered it on Tuesday and it arrived Friday.

This is nudging towards picking up a POSP (especially since prices for Kobras and PK scopes just went up again).

How much is Kalinka's shipping? Do they take Paypal? I'm really leery about sending my credit card numbers to ANY eastern european country...

I think Kalinka is solid. I've had correspondence with them, and they seem totally legit and cool. I wouldn't worry too much about that.

Just received my POSP 4x24 and it's been to cold to get out to the range. It fit on my SAIGA that was the first test,

I have been just sighting it in using my laser cartridge tool. I read the manual about the lower silver knobs, but if I am lining up the scopes sight point,with the lasers dot. All I have had to do is just turn both knobs to get it lined up. so if the dot is centered with the scope sight point. That's where the bullet will strike. Discounting wind and bullet drop, and how well the bullet is designed for it's flight.

Am I missing something?

Yes, that is correct. However, if I am understanding you correctly (and I'm sorry if I'm not quite getting your question), you are saying that regardless of the number readings on your wind and elevation, you are just lining up the dot with the upper chevron. You can zero it that way, BUT you need to have your windage and elevation numbers be accurate, otherwise you'll never know where you are when you need to switch settings. Once your rifle is zeroed, you need to unscrew the two screws and turn just the silver dial so it matches your distance. If you are sighting at 50, then it is the click half way between 0 and 1. It goes up in 50 meter increments. Same for windage,, when you are done zeroing, unscrew the two screws on the top of the knob and turn just the silver dial until it is on 0. That way you can adjust windage accruately. Don't unscrew them all the way, and don't unscrew the center screw. Sorry if this is a repeat for you, but I think this is what you are asking.

Am I missing something?

Yes, that is correct. However, if I am understanding you correctly (and I'm sorry if I'm not quite getting your question), you are saying that regardless of the number readings on your wind and elevation, you are just lining up the dot with the upper chevron. You can zero it that way, BUT you need to have your windage and elevation numbers be accurate, otherwise you'll never know where you are when you need to switch settings. Once your rifle is zeroed, you need to unscrew the two screws and turn just the silver dial so it matches your distance. If you are sighting at 50, then it is the click half way between 0 and 1. It goes up in 50 meter increments. Same for windage,, when you are done zeroing, unscrew the two screws on the top of the knob and turn just the silver dial until it is on 0. That way you can adjust windage accruately. Don't unscrew them all the way, and don't unscrew the center screw. Sorry if this is a repeat for you, but I think this is what you are asking.

Thank you very much, that clears up what I did not fully understand. The manual just did not get the settings for the silver parts of the adjusting knobs, where I understood it.

Am I missing something?

Thanks for this info, I wasn't aware of this.

Couple of questions for you... If I am understanding your OP correctly, you zeroed at 50, then you used the scope's ranging feature when you changed your distance, is that correct? And you were pleased with its performance?

This thread has been VERY helpful for me, because I have been keeping an eye on POSP scopes. I've been wanting to get one, but the couple of times that I have posted questions about them, I haven't gotten any decent responses. It sounds to me like you are liking your purchase! It looks great on the rifle, too. Not that that really means anything, but I do like my firearms to look good as well as function good. Don't get me wrong; looks will mean NOTHING to me if the SHTF, but until then, I like when the people at the range come over to check out my toys.

ETA: Very good video on the POSP in your signature line, too, btw.

Edited by TR Young