First grader being investagated for sexual harrasment

Do we have too much time on our hands?

Are our priorities a little awry?

People are calling for expelling this kid.

WTF?

http://www.oregonlive.com/clackamascounty/index.ssf/2010/01/canby_first-grader_investigate.html

CANBY -- The Canby School District has launched new security measures after parents complained their children were sexually, physically and verbally harassed by a 7-year-old first-grader.

Superintendent Jeff Rose said the district has hired a certified full-time supervisor to more closely monitor interactions between students at Ninety-One School, a K-8 school on Whiskey Hill Road. Rose said the district also has hired consultants to help the district devise long-term plans to prevent similar incidents.

Rose said the district "has followed protocol" and has reported the incidents to the state Department of Human Services. Citing student privacy concerns, Rose declined to specify what the parents reported.

"We are working for the safety of students and to address the needs of families," Rose said.

Rose met with several parents last week to hear concerns that Ninety-One administrators did not take their complaints seriously or act quickly. Some parents said they had been raising the issue since the start of classes in September, with little result.

ANOTHER TAKE:

http://www.kgw.com/home/Canby-first-grader-accused-of-sexually-abusing-classmates-81249262.html

Just a heads up... Canby is a rural farm town that is close enough to Portland that the ultra liberal Portland types have inundated the place in sub divisions.

(It's one of my teenage stomping grounds)

Edited by Paulyski

^^^^ I have some of the same sentiments, however, I feel that if you tell a kid that he's to be shunned, he will assume a very distructive role.

Oursociety seems to think that a 7 year old understands sex & has the desire to sexually domanate others.

This may be bullying, but to attempt to label a 7 year old as sexually deviant, will likely result in him coming to understand, & accept that is what he is & run with the role.

This may not be "P.C." comming from a person who works with troubled children at times, but there is deffinately a time for an older father figure type to knock the crap out of a young man. Not isolate him from his peers & make him feel persecuted.

I think 7 is just kinda young to start labeling a child as a sexual predator.

Edited by Paulyski

In the second grade on the play ground I did the Micheal Jackson crotch grab to myself and some girls told my teacher, she said it was sexual harrasment and a bunch of students and I got in trouble for it. We did the crotch grab thing in celebration of making a touchdown. That really F'd with me for a couple of years and I got in trouble at home as the teacher didn't fully explain what happened to my mother, just that I sexually harrased some girls... I guess this was around 92-93, I remember Bush I getting elected and it was the first time I ever heard the term. What ever happened to I'll show you mine if you show me mine? Are they trying to make these kids think sex is evil? The thing that brings forth life... Well, maybe, a lot of people would like to see the world have 5% of the current population. </rant>

^^^^ I have some of the same sentiments, however, I feel that if you tell a kid that he's to be shunned, he will assume a very distructive role.

Oursociety seems to think that a 7 year old understands sex & has the desire to sexually domanate others.

This may be bullying, but to attempt to label a 7 year old as sexually deviant, will likely result in him coming to understand, & accept that is what he is & run with the role.

This may not be "P.C." comming from a person who works with troubled children at times, but there is deffinately a time for an older father figure type to knock the crap out of a young man. Not isolate him from his peers & make him feel persecuted.

I think 7 is just kinda young to start labeling a child as a sexual predator.

I totally agree, I thought the same thing at first cuz I didnt know what he did. But at the same time Ive seen these things happen in the past and the child really didnt do anything most children do. You start treating kids like they are monsters and they will believe and become them.