How to install an ACE butt stock.

After a lot of head scratching, and measuring I got busy last night. The first order of business was to remove the compound milling vise from the mill table and mount a simple milling machine vise. Next, the fixed jaw of the vise must be "indicated" in . This insures that the jaws of the vise will run parallel with the "Y" axis of the mill.

post-1812-1112272502_thumb.jpg post-1812-1112272536_thumb.jpg

I was not 100 percent sure of my measurements, and my mill has some back lash in the table feeds. I decided to experiment on a scrap piece of aluminium. It was a good thing too! I had the correct drill and a 10-24 tap, but I did not have "bottom" 10-24 tap. So I just made a bottom tap out of a two flute 10-24 tap by grinding off the end. I discovered, after drilling and tapping the two holes for the upper tang, that my hole spacing was about six thousandths too long. I also found that I will have to re form the head of one of the two flat head bolts that I made up. It does not pull down to the tang correctly.

post-1812-1112272646_thumb.jpg

I'll give it another practice run this evening and get some pictures too!

Yours,

Thumb Clip Pull Pin.

I went back out to the shop. I flipped my practice piece over and started again! First I measured the hole spacing again. I decided to make the holes 1.395" apart. I mounted the practice piece in the mill vice. I found two of the edges with an edge finder and zero the table feed dials.

post-1812-1112272865_thumb.jpg

Next, I moved the mill table to each of the hole locations, drill and tapped the two holes. This is a three part operation! Drill the hole. Change tools and tap the hole with a start tap. Change tools and finish the hole with a bottom tap. Go slow, use lots of cutting oil and clear the chips. I use a couple of different brushes, shop rags and compressed air to remove the chips.

post-1812-1112272950_thumb.jpg post-1812-1112273037_thumb.jpg

post-1812-1112273056_thumb.jpg

It is always a little nerve racking to drill a "good" part! I ended up center punching the forward rear tang screw hole the old fashioned way even after all of the measureing, and practice drill/ tapping. I measured the distance from the center punch mark to the end of the trunion and found that my calculations were very close, so I mounted the "good" adaptor in the mill vise. I found two of the edges as before. I re "zero" the dials, and moved the mill table in to the appropriate hole locations. I drilled and tapped the holes as before. I checked my work against the receiver tang! Perfect!

post-1812-1112273141_thumb.jpg

The next part is a little tricky. I had to flip the stock adaptor over and remount it in the mill vice. The bottom of the adaptor has a slight bevel to it because the bottom of the receiver is not parallel to the top of the receiver. I needed to get this bevel level with the milling machine table so that the bottom bolt hole could be drilled and tapped 90 degrees to the slanted part of the stock adaptor.

I thought about this for a while because I lack the proper equipment to do this. A mentor of mine suggested that I simply use a bubble level to get the stock adaptor level with the mill table! While this method is not absolutely accurate; it is very close!

Next I had to solve the problem of hole placement. I took the pistol grip back off and made a bunch of measurements of where the factory hole was in the bottom of the receiver, and how big the hole was. I calcuated the approximate location and center punched the hole very lightly.

Next, I mounted the part in the vise. I found an outside edge and an inside edge. I had to mount a 1" travel dial indicator on the mill table to keep track of the movement from the "inside edge". I moved the mill table to the correct location. I drilled and tapped the hole as before.

The sad news is: The bottom bolt hole is not perfect! It was off by five thousands or so. The good new is: The hole in the receiver is a little under sized and a 10-24 bolt would not go through it! I just opened up the hole with a larger drill (favoring one side) and the bolt fit perfectly!

post-1812-1112273201_thumb.jpg

Next. I found that the stock screws that came with the ACE butt stock were very short, so I decided to replace them with longer ones.

post-1812-1112273268_thumb.jpg post-1812-1112273338_thumb.jpg

I cleaned the receiver of all filings and re installed the pistol grip and the new ACE butt stock. Now all that is left is to modify the shepards hook, test fire, disassemble the Saiga, have the extra holes in the receiver welded shut and refinish the entire shotgun!

(I'll post a good picture of the shotgun in daylight if it ever stops raining!)

Yours,

Thumb Clip Pull Pin.

• 2 weeks later...

Seems like overkill but good practice I guess. I used the supplied nuts and screws that just slide in the adapter. The bottom hole I didnt worry about because two screws suite my application just fine. I would like to drill and tap the hinge pin on the folder though. I was shooting slugs one day and the pin started to walk out. Luckily I caught it before it did.

Sorry that I have not posted a "finished" picture yet! I have been sort of busy, and the Saiga has moved to the rear of the stack!

Yes! That is my old "J" head Bridgeport verticle mill. It has lots of back lash in it! I am learning to deal with that!

I know that it seemed like a lot of trouble. I just wanted to use the equipment that I have, and to do the best job that I possibly could.

Yours,

Thumb Clip Pull Pin.

Sorry that I have not posted a "finished" picture yet!  I have been sort of busy, and the Saiga has moved to the rear of the stack!

Yes!  That is my old "J" head Bridgeport verticle mill.  It has lots of back lash in it!  I am learning to deal with that!

I know that it seemed like a lot of trouble.  I just wanted to use the equipment that I have, and to do the best job that I possibly could.

Yours,

Thumb Clip Pull Pin.

So *that's* what you're supposed to do in order to keep the ACE from jarring loose under recoil! I just stuck some bolts in that little channel and they wouldn't hold up to slug pounding!

Regardless, I'm too short, and when I shorten the stock to be comfortable for me, the folder mechanism pounds me in the nose.