Mags fit super tight in Draco

I got a Draco recently and pulled it out of the box today to see what I've got. I got 6 Bulgarian steel mags with it and all go in fairly easy but it is a bitch to press the mag release after they are in to get them out. My drum fits pretty good although its a little snug. The obvious solution would seem to be file the mag catch down slightly until the mags loosen up a bit, but I don't want to make my drum too loose either because that is the one thing that I want to fit rock solid. I think there is going to be a very fine line there. Should I wait and see if the mags "wear in" with repeated use? Anyone else have this issue?

i had that issue with my maadi ak. I had to file the catch as all the mags i have are bulgy circ10's and a few metal 30s. all mags rocked in just fine, but the only way to get the 10's out was to smack the catch lever in an empty gun reload scenario that hits the catch and swats the mag out of the gun at the same time. It was next to impossible to just squeeze the lever. after filing every thing works great.

DogMan, if you can release the mags with your hands (you don't have to resort to tools of mass destruction), I'd let it ride.

All metal parts will "break in" over time, and as sure as you file/grind it, you'll have loose mags. . .

If you have to resort to a metal implement of smashing to get the mag latch to disengage, then yeah, a light polishing and fitting would be in order.

• Like 1

other than the mag issue what's your overall impression of the draco? i've been looking at these a lot online lately and was thinking of picking one up one of these days.

I haven't shot it yet so I can't speak to that. But I do think it's going to be perfect for what I bought it for which is just a down and dirty truck gun that I'm not concerned about putting a few scratches on. Its illegal to carry a loaded rifle or shotgun in a vehicle in Washington state but a pistol, which this is according to the definition here, is OK to carry fully loaded in a vehicle. Its not going to win any beauty contest but I don't need it to.027.gif

• Like 1

DogMan, if you can release the mags with your hands (you don't have to resort to tools of mass destruction), I'd let it ride.

All metal parts will "break in" over time, and as sure as you file/grind it, you'll have loose mags. . .

If you have to resort to a metal implement of smashing to get the mag latch to disengage, then yeah, a light polishing and fitting would be in order.

I am having to use a wooden dowel to tap the mag release when I use the mags. With the drum it just takes a hard push. I'm going to have a marathon mag insertion party and see if that has any effect before I get out the file and then if thats needed its going to be very very light.

other than the mag issue what's your overall impression of the draco? i've been looking at these a lot online lately and was thinking of picking one up one of these days.

I haven't shot it yet so I can't speak to that. But I do think it's going to be perfect for what I bought it for which is just a down and dirty truck gun that I'm not concerned about putting a few scratches on. Its illegal to carry a loaded rifle or shotgun in a vehicle in Washington state but a pistol, which this is according to the definition here, is OK to carry fully loaded in a vehicle. Its not going to win any beauty contest but I don't need it to.027.gif

cool, seems like the perfect truck gun to me. i was just wondering if everything looked straight on it. here in illinois we can't have anything loaded, the mag can be but it can't be in the gun and has to be in a case.

I came across the same problem with my buddy's underfolder. I would do as Nalioth said and let it wear in a little. These Draco's are fun as hell though, and a perfect truck gun. All my mags fit fine in mine with no problem. Maybe it's the mag? Do you have different kinds? I know I have two different steel comblock kinds and one is tight and the other fits perfect, in my x39 that is.

cool, seems like the perfect truck gun to me. i was just wondering if everything looked straight on it. here in illinois we can't have anything loaded, the mag can be but it can't be in the gun and has to be in a case.

Yes, everything looks as straight as it can be. I got mine from Peach State Guns. I requested they hand pick one for me. They said they would and it looks like they did, so a big +1 to them for that. The mag issue is not something I would expect them to catch and I'm at least glad that its too tight rather than too loose. I can fix it.

• 2 weeks later...

Got my Draco 2 days ago. :super:

Took some of my mags with me to the store to see if they'd fit. Perfect. Smooth with no major wiggle. They had a 75 rd drum they put in it too, which fit nice. They wanted $150.00 for it though, which was more than I've seen them for other places.

Now I'm wanting to change out the wood for something else, but gotta see how hard that'll be.

Corbin

Got my Draco 2 days ago. :super:

Took some of my mags with me to the store to see if they'd fit. Perfect. Smooth with no major wiggle. They had a 75 rd drum they put in it too, which fit nice. They wanted $150.00 for it though, which was more than I've seen them for other places.

Now I'm wanting to change out the wood for something else, but gotta see how hard that'll be.

Corbin

Cool. Thats the big advantage of having it in your hands before you buy it. Welcome to the Draco club.