Fixed vs 'quick detach' side mounts?

I've found some reasonably-priced mounts that apparently fit both the Saiga 12 and 223. I think they're both made by the same company (a Chinese firm also known for making extremely inexpensive optics) and I was wondering if anyone's tried either (or preferably both) mounts. I'd love to have the 'quick detach' feature but I was wondering if it would hold its zero as well as the fixed model. Any thoughts?

Edited by type44q

I've found some reasonably-priced mounts that apparently fit both the Saiga 12 and 223. I think they're both made by the same company (a Chinese firm also known for making extremely inexpensive optics) and I was wondering if anyone's tried either (or preferably both) mounts. I'd love to have the 'quick detach' feature but I was wondering if it would hold its zero as well as the fixed model. Any thoughts?

A good quick detach will hold zero just as well as a fixed mount - if it is not removed. If it is constantly taken off and put back on, you will probably see issues over time. My K-VAR mount eventually got a bit loose on the setting I had, because I removed it too often. Just treat the quick detach as a fixed mount that can be removed in an emergency.

Best in my view are the quick detach mounts that allow use of irons _without_ removal.

• 4 weeks later...

well i got a cheapo quick detach side mount in the deal when i picked up mine. i mounted a bushnell trophy series red dot on it and its worked quite well. if i detach it and put it back on making sure its all the way forward and on tight it holds zero pretty well.