Optics for 200-250 yards

I got my 5.45 in and figured this is better (i think) for out to 250 yards +/- so I want to grab a regular scope.

I'm guessing the recoil is about the same as an AR considering the bullet is almost the same??

I'm looking at a Pentax 4-12 x 40 Gameseeker for $70 Its got a built-in BDC on the x-hairs for 200-500 yds.

I had a BSA 6-24x44 with Mil-Dot illuminated awhile back but I think that may be overkill.. 022.gif

Any other suggestions. I want to be able to SEE what I'm trying to hit/and hit, and be capable of 6" or less at this range.

Any suggestions for what YOU have that falls under the $100 mark would be great.

About $150 or so, but an authentic POSP 4x24 is going to serve you well. Nice clear optics, battlefield issue and designed for the AK. I've had years and years of solid performance out of the various PSO's and POSP scopes that I've had.

Budget optics are usually crap, I've gone through my fair share before I realized that in many regards you get what you pay for. Lower end optics might seem fine but they can often have problems with wandering zero, reliability and longevity. POSP 4x24's are extremely under priced for the quality of optic you get and I don't use anything else because of my years of experience with them. Consider them to be Russian milspec scopes that have passed acceptance trials for the military, then smile when they only cost you a buck fifty and change. Comparable optics over here are often way more expensive.

6" groups might be unrealistic to expect at 200 yards though. The scope will definately help you get better groups but it's not going to overcome the shooter's limitations, so if you can't do 3" consistently at 100 you probably won't be able to do 6" at 200, scope or not.

posp4x24akbl_1_600.jpg

POSP4x24_AK.jpg

I'm also a huge fan of the Aimpoint+Ultimak red dot combo. We routinely ring steel all day at 300 yards with our 7.62 and 5.45 AK's, Krink's included. I don't normally shoot for groups but if I can hit a mansize target consistently I'm happy and a nice red dot makes it easy. While Aimpoints are expensive there are a number of reasonably priced budget MRD's that work great...Konus Atomic Pro and Bushnell TRS25 to name a couple. Not what you're after specifically, but something to consider. They work extremely well.

Z

Edited by TX-Zen

About $150 or so, but an authentic POSP 4x24 is going to serve you well. Nice clear optics, battlefield issue and designed for the AK. I've had years and years of solid performance out of the various PSO's and POSP scopes that I've had.

Budget optics are usually crap, I've gone through my fair share before I realized that in many regards you get what you pay for. Lower end optics might seem fine but they can often have problems with wandering zero, reliability and longevity. POSP 4x24's are extremely under priced for the quality of optic you get and I don't use anything else because of my years of experience with them. Consider them to be Russian milspec scopes that have passed acceptance trials for the military, then smile when they only cost you a buck fifty and change. Comparable optics over here are often way more expensive.

6" groups might be unrealistic to expect at 200 yards though. The scope will definately help you get better groups but it's not going to overcome the shooter's limitations, so if you can't do 3" consistently at 100 you probably won't be able to do 6" at 200, scope or not.

posp4x24akbl_1_600.jpg

POSP4x24_AK.jpg

I'm also a huge fan of the Aimpoint+Ultimak red dot combo. We routinely ring steel all day at 300 yards with our 7.62 and 5.45 AK's, Krink's included. I don't normally shoot for groups but if I can hit a mansize target consistently I'm happy and a nice red dot makes it easy. While Aimpoints are expensive there are a number of reasonably priced budget MRD's that work great...Konus Atomic Pro and Bushnell TRS25 to name a couple. Not what you're after specifically, but something to consider. They work extremely well.

Z

What size of gong are you hitting at 300? Is that with a magnified Aimpoint?

I have a Bushnell Trophy RD sitting here on my 7.62x39 but want an actual scope on the 5.45.

I am shooting zombie/man size targets but would like to do 8x11 paper.. hahaha

Thats why I figured 4-12 would be better than 3-9...

I want to draw a smiley at 150 yards on the target.. 022.gif

Anyone else?? Someone else has got to be running a 'regular' scope here...ph34r.gif

Not going for a POSP as I don't like the look of it personally.

Trying to go traditional and under $100 for this. Preferably under $80.

I may even go for a 2-4 x 32 or ?? To keep the size small and minimal (like my red dot is) (like 5-6")

At the moment I moved the red-dot to the 5.45x39 until I get some other feedback here.

I'm sure SOMEONE here has gone this route before for a decent/cheap scope that works on a 5.45 cal rifle.

I may even go for a 2-4 x 32 or ?? To keep the size small and minimal (like my red dot is) (like 5-6")

At the moment I moved the red-dot to the 5.45x39 until I get some other feedback here.

I'm sure SOMEONE here has gone this route before for a decent/cheap scope that works on a 5.45 cal rifle.

This one is 110 dollars. I don't know anything about it except what it shows and the Red Dot made by these guys get's good reviews.

http://www.primaryarms.com/product.sc?productId=206&categoryId=2

Edited by superA

Ive been using this scope for a few weeks now

Barska 3-9x42 compact

HPIM0002.jpg

Cheaperthandirt has them for 60 bucks

I bought it for our Silhouette range,targets from 75 meters to 540 meters. Its serves the purpose,was cheap and and has clear glass.

Edited by veprk

Maybe there is a reason that no one has any suggestions that meet what you are looking for...

FWIW, I think your criteria is taking you in the wrong direction. You are passing on a tried and true military scope designed for the AK because of how it looks, and then looking for a 'traditional' solution at the lowest end of the budget optics market. Technically speaking the POSP is the traditional solution, but more importantly the budget you've set is going to make it really hard to find something decent IMHO.

Good luck though, honestly. I'm not trying to dicate what you buy because thats none of my business, but if it were me I'd rethink what I was after in a scope.

Just my .02 rupees

Z

Edited by TX-Zen
  • Like 1

Got my NCStar 4x30 scope (non-illuminated) with P4 reticle (MOA/BDC). Very clear optics...

Mounted on my 5.45x39 with the UTG QD attachment. Scope had 11+ reviews all good (even with shotguns)

post-8775-12676688107731_thumb.jpg

post-8775-12676688269963_thumb.jpg

post-8775-1267668859024_thumb.jpg

This Saturday I will be sighting it in [along with the 762x39 with the Bushy Trophy Red Dot] and see.

Going along with verpk on this pretty much, and the 2-7x32 I got on my MN 91/30 holds up just fine guys...

If it falls apart I'll just go back to the irons and be at 83% 'hit-rate'.