shiny guts and a few questions.... and a rant

I polished all of the friction surfaces in the action of my S12. Feels about as smooth as a Kalishnakov can feel. I have discovered that it is a 3 port gun. It was an unfired DIY conversion when I got it and it still hasn't been fired. There was paint in everything and I'm pretty sure it wasn't factory. It was all over the BCG, rails, FCG,.... even in the barrel. Why? The paint is what lead to the taking it off.... which lead to the anti-friction polishing.

Does inertia make the firing pin go past the bolt face when the hammer strikes it? When I press the firing pin, it doesn't go past the bolt face. Probably normal, but I was just wondering. .

I haven't shot this wonderful weapon yet because I can't find a place to do it. The two ranges that I like don't allow shotguns. They just aren't set up for it. There are a couple shotgun only clubs here, but I don't want to join because I don't think I will get my money's worth as they only allow shotguns. There is a range that is nice and they allow shotguns, buuut.... there is a rule there that really pisses me off.... 2 seconds between each shot. Whether it is a .50 cal or a .22 you will get yelled at for shooting at a rate higher that 1 shot per 2 seconds. How lame is that? I call it "Gheyway", but the name is really "Gateway". Whatever you call it, it sucks. Anyone near Jacksonville know of a good place to fire a shotgun faster that one shot per 2 seconds? LOL! This is killing me. I just want to see if it will function properly and I don't even need to fire at a target. Anyone using the Walmart Winchester 100s? I know they are crap. I just want to find the limit of what it will run on.

I polished all of the friction surfaces in the action of my S12. Feels about as smooth as a Kalishnakov can feel. I have discovered that it is a 3 port gun. It was an unfired DIY conversion when I got it and it still hasn't been fired. There was paint in everything and I'm pretty sure it wasn't factory. It was all over the BCG, rails, FCG,.... even in the barrel. Why? The paint is what lead to the taking it off.... which lead to the anti-friction polishing.

Does inertia make the firing pin go past the bolt face when the hammer strikes it? When I press the firing pin, it doesn't go past the bolt face. Probably normal, but I was just wondering. .

I haven't shot this wonderful weapon yet because I can't find a place to do it. The two ranges that I like don't allow shotguns. They just aren't set up for it. There are a couple shotgun only clubs here, but I don't want to join because I don't think I will get my money's worth as they only allow shotguns. There is a range that is nice and they allow shotguns, buuut.... there is a rule there that really pisses me off.... 2 seconds between each shot. Whether it is a .50 cal or a .22 you will get yelled at for shooting at a rate higher that 1 shot per 2 seconds. How lame is that? I call it "Gheyway", but the name is really "Gateway". Whatever you call it, it sucks. Anyone near Jacksonville know of a good place to fire a shotgun faster that one shot per 2 seconds? LOL! This is killing me. I just want to see if it will function properly and I don't even need to fire at a target. Anyone using the Walmart Winchester 100s? I know they are crap. I just want to find the limit of what it will run on.

Yes, the FP moves past the face when fired.

Paint in weird places tends to be from boaners that don't know about the concept of masking.

You may still have trouble with winchester, but wally world also sells federal 6 shot 25 round packs for $4.65 a box.

4 ports should change that, but then you may need a gun-fixers plug to control the extra gas. (I always chuckle when people suggest the gun-fixer for LOW gas issues ie. FTE)

& the last thing I want when shooting a 20 round drum off, is for some blowjob to piss & moan about my rate of fire... Don't you have any rural areas where you can shoot in the woods or desert?

Those are the ONLY places I want to shoot my S-12, for those reasons.

EDIT:

Hey, if that's your S-12 in your avatar, may I suggest sending the front hand guard to Lone Star Arms (business member) for venting & customization?

Look in his section. He makes them look AWESOME!

No more hunting look. Truly a bad-ass face lift.

post-18546-12664091904092_thumb.jpg

post-18546-12663767479849_thumb.jpg

Also, one of Cobra's Customs gas tube covers would top it off nicely. :D

post-1293-1227541476_thumb.jpg

Edited by Paulyski

The firing pin thing that you are seeing is normal..... all of the paint (in the barrel?!) is not.

I hear ya on the firing range dilemma. I have to drive a while to the next state (state park/range) to shoot my long guns, and I can't bring my pistol with me there. At least it's free though. I can't see paying $300/year or whatever for one of the private ranges.

Paint.... everywhere. Yes, in the chamber, a little up in the barrel, in the bolt carrier, all over the bolt, everywhere.... took me a few hours just to get to the polishing part. Even with brake cleaner and a stiff stainless brush. It's clean now, and slicker than owl snot, lol.

I wish I had some desert nearby to go shooting in. I live in the burbs of NE FL.

Did you say "Winchester Bulk Pack", some of the sorriest, worst packed, most inconsistent 12 ga. ammo on the planet? The stuff where one shell is out of round, and the next looks like someone gave the crimp at the top a fat lip.....? The stuff that is famous for choking even the finest S12, and embarrassing the owner at the range every time? Yep, I shoot it! All day long!

Check out the double tap sequence at the beginning of the first video, and the last three sections of the second video.....

Two seconds between rounds? Those mealy mouthed cowardly chickensh*t bitches!

Yes it is true that after I started shooting my S12's at the indoor range where the first video was shot... some tourist and her ultra ghey friend went running to the range master claiming that a "piece of birdshot had ricocheted in from the range causing a welt to her exposed skin", and they banned shotguns altogether. They had been looking for an excuse ever since I started chasing targets down the range as fast as I could pull the trigger, and I guess that gave them the "incident" they needed. Funny thing was, I checked - and I wasn't even there the day that is supposed to have happened.

But, thats ok. Expect to get everything from drooling admiration to unmasked hostility and jealousy, when you drag that thing out at a range to shoot it.

As another builder put it when I was bitching to him about ranges freaking out every time I started shooting my S12s "Well hell, there's nothing wrong with that. It just means you're building the right gun".

WINCHESTER UNIVERSAL:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h49RGFgQk90 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gcb7gVe25yw

• Like 1

I live in Valdosta GA> and I am a member of the Little River Gun Club( NRA affiliated ). I shoot mine every Sunday and I envite you to be my guest.

That's a pretty good drive from here. If I am going that far to shoot.... I will definitely have to bring more than just the Saiga. I need to get a better scope for my favorite AR and may take you up on the offer after I get one. However, I could just spend some of that money on ammo and break the S12 in proper on that trip. I appreciate the offer

Edited by evlblkwpnz

Attached is a link which will take you to the closest NRA range. You have to be a member to join one, but I find the minimal cost is well worth it and NRA ranges are very firearm friendly. The one I shoot at even encourages members to bring and shoot their legal class III weapons.

http://www.nra.org/nralocal.aspx

Good luck!

Michael Rogers

Lone Star Arms

Attached is a link which will take you to the closest NRA range. You have to be a member to join one, but I find the minimal cost is well worth it and NRA ranges are very firearm friendly. The one I shoot at even encourages members to bring and shoot their legal class III weapons.

Good luck!

Michael Rogers

Lone Star Arms

Micheal,

I appreciate the link. I am a NRA member, so I'm GTG. I used to be a Police Lodge member and they raised the yearly fee, IIRC they more than doubled it. I don't usually respond well to price increases.... I'm a cheap bastard when it comes to some things.

BTW What do you charge for your Saiga handguard customization? I like the vents and would like to have a rail or two added. One on the side and one on the bottom that is solid enough to support a vert grip. I tried to find your site, but no dice....

Also, yes, I have that worthless Winchester garbage you were shooting in the video. I figured that would be an excellent way to find my gun's limit of garbage ammo functionality, lol. Looks like yours loves it. Mine being basically stock, I don't think I will be in luck with that ammo. We shall see....

Good luck!

Michael Rogers

Lone Star Arms

Micheal,

I appreciate the link. I am a NRA member, so I'm GTG. I used to be a Police Lodge member and they raised the yearly fee, IIRC they more than doubled it. I don't usually respond well to price increases.... I'm a cheap bastard when it comes to some things.

BTW What do you charge for your Saiga handguard customization? I like the vents and would like to have a rail or two added. One on the side and one on the bottom that is solid enough to support a vert grip. I tried to find your site, but no dice....

Also, yes, I have that worthless Winchester garbage you were shooting in the video. I figured that would be an excellent way to find my gun's limit of garbage ammo functionality, lol. Looks like yours loves it. Mine being basically stock, I don't think I will be in luck with that ammo. We shall see....

Actually, the handguard customization has always been part and parcel to the high performance builds I do. I have never sold one separately.

However, I have a "one off" sculpted and vented guard I am taking off one of my "Intimidator" builds to make way for one of my more traditional vented hanguard designs. The handguard is very similar to the SBS concept image Paul posted. The cheesy factory checkering has been removed, and the center area (along with all of the other areas) vented. It will remain a one of a kind piece because it involved far more work than I can actually afford to devote to that part of the build.

It has an integrated CAA 2" picantinny rail, in the same location as that on the image of the long barreled gun I did for forum member "Post Apocalyptic".

Perfect for a vertical grip or tac light.

Charging according to the time I have in it would make it absolutely cost prohibitive - so I will offer it to you for $150. Still not cheap, but far less than it should sell for.

A brief general disclaimer, and notice for my fellow forum members -- I may at some time in the future offer these custom handguards for sale in the $200 price range. The designs are copyrighted, and the exclusive intellectual property of Lone Star Arms, so please respect my intellectual property, trademark, trade dress rights in these designs and don't attempt to duplicate them.

Thanks.

Michael Rogers

Lone Star Arms

Post Script: I don't have a web site at this point, but pricing for my work, as well as my contact information is available in my business section on the forum.

In the event your S12 won,t cycle the low brass don,t get pissed.Just send it to LONE STAR ARMS and Michael will make it all better... You need to get Michael to share the how i purchased a S12 from the local indoor range story,he tunes it up and we both get banned from the place that sold me the weapon!!! HAPPY TRAILS TGUNN...