DO MUZZLE BRAKES REALLY WORK?

ive been looking at the chaos s12 wave brake does anybody have any input on this looks like it is very well made and is priced well

Punisher,

Recoil reducing devices such as muzzle brakes (or compensators) have been hotly debated here before. They all depend upon factors such as how they are contructed, payload weight, powder charge, etc. Add to this that they are designed to reduce felt recoil, which can be very subjective at best. What load kicks like a Arkansas mule to some is a deranged grin to others. Let me get back to loads as this is where the better comps, muzzle brakes really start to do their job. A light field load such as Walmart #7 or #8 will not really allow a comp to perform. Fire a few 00 buck or 3 inch slugs through the same barrel with a decent muzzle brake and it will make a difference.

ive been looking at the chaos s12 wave brake does anybody have any input on this looks like it is very well made and is priced well

Punisher,

Recoil reducing devices such as muzzle brakes (or compensators) have been hotly debated here before. They all depend upon factors such as how they are contructed, payload weight, powder charge, etc. Add to this that they are designed to reduce felt recoil, which can be very subjective at best. What load kicks like a Arkansas mule to some is a deranged grin to others. Let me get back to loads as this is where the better comps, muzzle brakes really start to do their job. A light field load such as Walmart #7 or #8 will not really allow a comp to perform. Fire a few 00 buck or 3 inch slugs through the same barrel with a decent muzzle brake and it will make a difference.

thanks ronswin that helps i only shoot buck and slugs out of my saiga so im guessin it should help some just need to find out which ones are the best and most reasonably priced Edited by PUNISHER15

This is what I have heard. The warthog by chaos has been experimented with and has shown to reduce recoil and muzzle rise a little. The question is... is it significant? Every penny adds up. The poly choke from what I would think would increase recoil by increasing the pressure in the barrel. The round and the gasses have to go through a slightly smaller hole but you do have the ability to select the best choke for whatever round you are shooting. Ive heard complaints that the slotted poly choke can get gunk from waddings and lead stuck in the slots. I read a review for maxrounds break although 270 dollars it funtions well. Puting any type of weight on the end of the barrel will help with control and recoil yet it might not be significant depending on the functionality and weight of the muzzle device. As for other devices I cant make assumptions.

Deciding Factors

Weight?

Effectiveness of break when it comes to recoil(if significant.

Sound deadening

Flash suppression

Gas and smoke redirection ( might be a bigger attribute then you think)

And hopefully Badass looking

If I had unlimited money my choice would be a poly choke or winchoke adapter with the muzzle break of my choice welded on. Either the warthog or the next break to be somewhat proven of its performance. Although that does sound a little too heavy.

Edited by Jbanda1213

I have the JT Engineering #1 Brake on my Saiga. I have not shot it without the brake, so I can't offer you a good before/after opinion, but I can tell you that I rapid fired a 10 round magazine of 3" magnums and managed to both stay on target reasonably well and my shoulder did not take too hard of a beating.

Try that without a brake and see if you can say the same.

For the most part breaks on the muzzle don't work on shotguns, just not enough gas pressure.

That's why shotgun barrels are ported midway on the barrel, and you see race S-12s with breaks at the midpoint.

I use a break poly-choke as I like the look and 9 choke settings.

Muzzle brakes do not work properly 'cause there is no enough gas pressure - 12ga?

Funny...

IMHO there is enough gas pressure to make aluminium brake/compensator functional.

You can use aluminium for 12ga, 410ga, 20ga... But not for 7,62 .223 etc.

One way to reduce recoil - mid ported barrel - WHY? BECAUSE you reduce end-pressure...

Second way - muzzle brake/compensator...

And by the way - recoil of saiga you can divide into 2 parts(gas pressure and moving weight).

Recoil is perceived. One day it kicks your ass and one day you rule!! Next to the pistol the shotgun is the hardest weapons system to master. To shoot the shotgun fast and stay on target(s) you have to get aggressive and lean into the shotgun.

I was not a great fan of a muzzle brake on a shotgun, because I spend so much time at the range and practice controling the weapon, but the average guy does not have this option and therefore the muzzle brake can be and is a definite asset to control the muzzle rise/recoil.

I designed the JT Engineering Muzzle brake with function as the priority concern and how it looks is just a by product of that design.

Weight is the biggest factor on recoil reduction on a shotgun. Putting the brake on the end of the barrel adds leverage. The ports are set at 30 degrees to help the gas PUSH the gun forward to help counteract the recoil and there are no ports on the bottom, so if you have to shoot from the prone, there is no dust kicking up and creating a ground signature.

I can guarantee a marked improvement in recoil reduction/muzzle flip with this muzzle brake. Check out the video at:

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=2GpMvj-v3_w

If the link doesn't work go to youtube, jt engineering magwell video.

This video was about the magwell, but it definitely shows how the brake helps keep the shotgun flat. I only weigh about 155.

Regards,

Jack Travers

JT Engineering