Tapco 30 Rounds Magazine question

You will also need a bullet guide for that mag to feed reliably.

Yes filing down the mag catch will allow AK mags to fit but it doesnt fix the feeding issue. (or the 922r compliance issue)

If i were you (i dont know your abilities), i would research the installation of a bullet guide and decide if its something you want to tackle.

If you do the conversion restoration yourself, you should be able to handle the bullet guide as well.

Edited by Mullet Man

I got all the parts including the bullet guide on order. A friend who is a machinist will help with the conversion and the gun will comply the 922r compliance. Further, I'll be using the stock 10 rounds mag when I'm out on the range to practice and the 30 rds mags only when SHTH.

Is there any detail instruction on how to file the mag catch? I hate to ruin my Saiga.

When I had my Saiga 5.45x39 (sold it last month), the Bulgarian 30 rounds mag fitted perfectly without any mods or bullet guide installation. Is there such mag existed for Saiga 7.62?

Thanks

Edited by RookieShooter

There are 30rders for standard 7.62x39 saiga, venders here sell them. Even have one that produces conversion using Saiga mags. If you are planning to do full conversion, and have parts ordered, no need to buy original Saiga style mags. Still not in 922r compliance for 30rders with stock Saiga. Ounce work is done, can use abundant type of regular Ak mags. There are threads covering procedure in tech section. :smoke:

My opinion...

Put your factory 10rd saiga magazine in your saiga and look at how it locks in. Do it several times if you have to. Look at the magazine catch, and the locking tab on the magazine and see how it works. Now get your 30rd AK mag and put it in the rifle. It won't lock in, but put it in. Look at what makes it not work. If you do this and you don't understand what you need to do to make the magazine catch work with the 30rd mag, then in my opinion you might not be ready to tackle the conversion by yourself. You already mentioned that you are going to be having a machinist help you so that is good, but you need to do you research on the conversion, study the guides and videos (just put saiga conversion into google or youtube). Make sure you understand what is happening before you start working on the rifle.

I'm not knocking you for not knowing, everyone has to start somewhere, and it's great that you are going to be converting this rifle. It's a pretty good learning experience. It's just that the magazine catch is a really simple issue and it's the kind of thing that someone prepared to do this kind of work should be able to identify.

My TAPCO 20rd Mags don't fit well in my AMD-65, many time they end up jammed and are a bitch to get removed. My TAPCO 30rd Mags fit somewhat better, the only reason I have any of the TAPCO MAGs is to comply to the 922r when needed.

They don't work at all in my Arsenal SGLs but I don't need them with the Arsenals. :rolleyes:

Edited by rifleshooter474

since you need to make it a 10/30 you dont need to have a maglock in california so you do not need to be compliant

hey, 922r is FEDERAL law, and trumps STATE law, even with california mods, you DO have to be 922 compliant to keep yer gun....I already had a federal LEO look my gun over out on a National Forest, and schooled me on that. Lucky I have an american handguard, (MI), Tapco stock, and Tapco gas cylinder, and on the day I was shooting, had a converted Tapco 10/30 in the gun...(had to take it apart and show him all the made is USA markings)..922 non-compliance in cali certainly WILL get your gun taken away...and if someone tells you that it doesnt need a maglock, they are lying. Any gun with ""evil features", such as collapsable/folding stock, forward grip, flash hider, etc. has to have a fixed mag. To have a fixed mag, some kind of maglock MUST be on the gun. Mine has a PRK. easy to put on, easy to remove the mag with a bullet, and legal...Be careful on this issue...

damm had no idea man, good stuff icefire. hey did you ever get get the china pencils?

yeah, just got em, havent tried em yet. maybe tonite, more probably tommorow night..

yeah, as soon as you put on a Pistol Grip or any other 'evil feature' as cali calls them, you can no longer have a detachable mag. And fixed mags are limited to 10, so, with a PG on yer gun, you have to run 10/30's (or stock 10's) to be legal, WITH some sort of maglock. PRK's are hardcore, thick, heavy, no doubt about legality, but cost $45. Solar tactical has a good one, too.... a bit cheaper, but lighter, and thinner...If ya live in cali, just pick one, yer gonna need it...