Spinner and reset targets

Howdi

I'm interested in getting some metal targets for to use with my 7.62x39, and I'm just wondering if anyone has experience/recommendations on what I should get. It would be nice if they were reset targets, but I'm open to recommendations from experienced shooters. I'll also be shooting a .40 Glock 22 if that makes any difference. Thanks.

I've seen the steel resetters at Midway,they take up to .45 ACP.

I picked one up at a hunting shop for the same price as they had.

Only thing is,they sell the little paper targets for themthat get shot off rather quick,I use orange paint on the circles instead,its a lot cheaper.

Just be sure that whatever target you get is rated for "big bore" centerfire rifles.

I unloaded my x39 Saiga on a steel spinner that was only rated up to .44mag............needless to say, I can't use that target anymore (but surprisingly it didn't even punch all the way through, just pivoted the SHIT out of it). I knew beforehand I was going to ruin it, though. It was cheap, and I was bored.

Buy a quality hardened steel target rated for centerfire rifles. Shoot at a range at which the velocity at impact is less that 3000 fps (not really an issue with the 7.62X39) and bullet splatter/ricochets are not of great concern. Personally, I wouldn't get closer than 50 yards with a 7.62X39 unless I was using frangible ammo. There are several companies that manufacture fine steel targets. I get mine from metalspinningtargets. They have a gravity-reset popper target that might suit your purposes well.

Buy a quality hardened steel target rated for centerfire rifles. Shoot at a range at which the velocity at impact is less that 3000 fps (not really an issue with the 7.62X39) and bullet splatter/ricochets are not of great concern. Personally, I wouldn't get closer than 50 yards with a 7.62X39 unless I was using frangible ammo. There are several companies that manufacture fine steel targets. I get mine from metalspinningtargets. They have a gravity-reset popper target that might suit your purposes well.

Modern metal targets are made out of AR400 and AR500 steel (abrasion resistant steels). These are very hard steels. Regular handgun rounds can be used on either (7-10 yards is considered minimum shooting distance). Rifle targets should be AR500 and a minimum distance of 100 yards is appropriate. If you shoot the rifle targets closer they will get damaged quicker. 3/8" plate is a good thickness for normal pistols and rifles. If you are shooting big bore rifles you will need something thicker. Of course these steels must be cut via torch/plasma/water-jet because of their hardness. Welding requires a bit of preheat to keep cracking down.

Using regular A36 structural steel is considered dangerous due to richochets. A36 is much softer than AR500 so it will be quickly deformed and pocked by impacts. This is were the richochet problem comes from. Now there is an irregular surface with bullets hitting it.

MGM targets is very respected manufacturer of targets

Hope this helps,

jrmock

Edited by jrmock