NEW Saiga Owner 12, .223, and 7.62--Need Advice

I am a new Saiga owner. I have many guns, but nothing quite like these. I am handy, but not interested in undertaking any conversions. I want to stay 922 complaint using us high cap mags and a T-6 Tapco stock. THis is what I am starting with:

I have a gun dealer who gives me great deals on new guns. I purchased the following (all new in the boxes):

2 Saiga IZ-109 12ga at $280 each (I think that is way too low, but he charges me cost +10% and was sure that price was correct)

1 Saiga .223 carbine (16" I think) $280

1 Saiga 7.62x39 carbine (16" I think) $285

Total price of $1193.28 including tax for all four guns, new in the box (don't ask me to share my dealer's name, I don't want to blow my own good deals in the future). I am glad I got 2 12 gauges, I can't imagine ever getting them that cheap again.

Now for my plans, these are for mostly for fun and SHTF situations. I thought about buying a Tapco T6 stock for each and some US-made high capacity mags that are factory made for each gun (maybe as many as 4 mags each). For the rifles, I think I may buy a side mounted rail and inexpensive scope for each. I would like to be able to continue using the fixed sighs as well. AM I missing anything important? really important, not just nice to have items.

FOr the 12's the barrel is threaded, what benefit does a muzzle device provide, if any, if I am just shooting generic ammo for fun? They look cool, but that's about all I know. I am confident that I won't be using any door-breaching rounds.

I know there are several schools of thought on the T6, but I think that is where I am headed unless somebody really convinces me otherwise. Also, is the Tapco forearm that much better than stock? Is any one brand of US-made magazine that much better than others.

I don't mean to start a riot. I know there are lots of opinions. Although I don't have many on the subject, I would appreciate any objective advice that you want to share.

Thanks to all.

JB

You really should convert... I have close to no machining skills whatsoever and feel sketchy with a dremel yet i was still able to easily convert in less than an hour... IMHO, the tapco stock looks and feels cheap. not to mention i really hate the look of external blocks. some people like it but i can't stand it.

You can't add a PG to your new 12's in NJ or you illegal.

Sorry to bust your bubble.

Read this CAREFULLY..

Part II Section C

http://www.state.nj.us/lps/dcj/agguide/assltf.htm

No semi-auto shotguns with detachable mags and PG allowed.

You can have the Saiga 12 but not with a PG installed.

Also NO folding stocks on the rifles or flash suppressors or mags over 15 rounds for the rifles.

You can't add a PG to your new 12's in NJ or you illegal.

Sorry to bust your bubble.

Read this CAREFULLY..

Part II Section C

http://www.state.nj.us/lps/dcj/agguide/assltf.htm

No semi-auto shotguns with detachable mags and PG allowed.

You can have the Saiga 12 but not with a PG installed.

Also NO folding stocks on the rifles or flash suppressors or mags over 15 rounds for the rifles.

I'm not in NJ so I guess that isn't an issue for me. WV is pretty much wide open as I understand.

Thanks to all of the advice so far. I will look at converting if it is really that easy. I conside my6self pretty handy and have lots of tools.

My main issue with a conversion is the finish of the gun. The black finish is already poor to start with, after I money with it I am afraid it will look like a POS. Suggestions?

From what I can see, nothing looks all that hard to do. I am unclear about what to do about the hole where the stock trigger is now. Also, are there any really tricky issues with replacing the FCG? Some packages claim to have the parts already machined, some seem to require more work. Suggestions?

BTW, I would love a good quality folding stock in place of the T6, can that be accomplished without using a mounting block and machining? The upside of the mounting block is that it might fill in the open trigger hole, is that right?

I feel like I got a good deal, I think that I could afford to send them off and have them converted at a shop that has the ability to refinish the guns properly. Any opinions on on having an outfit like peach state guns do the work?

welp, keep buying the 12's for that price and I will pay u $400 each for them... ALL DAY.

To everybody who has privately asked about buying from my guy, this is my position: He always gives me a good deal because of a close family connection. I am almost certain that the $280 price to me, $255 cost to him, was a fluke. This was further confirmed today during a conversation with a high-volume saiga dealer. My guy simply ordered three saiga 12's, two for me and one for my coworker, along with a .223 and 7.62. I don't feel that I can ask him to try to order more given our relationship. It is pretty unlikely that I need more than 4 saigas. His store has a good gun department. I suspect that very few of his customers get that kind of deal, with or without a price fluke.

I wish I had a truck load at that price but I don't, and I can't replicate that deal. Sorry.