I'm going to shoot the Saiga in stock form before I convert it, just to see what it's like, but I definitely plan on converting it.

Couple of questions, though.

I've never modified firearms before, but I am handy enough that I think I can do this. Other than this page, are there any good places for instruction? Do the conversion kits come with instruction?

Second, I'd like an opinion on the parts. I like this kit...are there any issues with this? Will there be anything else I need to get for the conversion?

I also put together a piecemeal part list, but it's quite a bit more expensive - see the file attachment. Seems to be the Dinzag FCG is the pricey part, but I've been reading it's worth it. Any thoughts?

Many thanks in advance.

saiga_conversion.txt

Edited by Bingo

If you want to use regular AK mags, you will have to use a bulet guide kit, which most of the conversion guides leave off for some strange reason. You'll also need a tap handle and tap oil, loctite for metal/metal threads, and a centerpunch--all of which you can get at hardware or auto parts stores. Be sure to read up on how to tap a hole if you've never done it before, or you'll end up breaking of the tap. Along with the bullet guide, you'll need to grind a little off the mag release catch.

Other than that, you are good to go. Unless you want to change out the foregrip and use a more traditional looking two piece setup, or mount the cleaning rod underneath.

Also:

http://www.stu-offroad.com/firearms/saiga/saiga-1.htm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XU96VbnSoTc&feature=PlayList&p=42C900DBD12C7C61&index=0&playnext=1

Edited by BaronVonBigmeat

If you want to use regular AK mags, you will have to use a bulet guide kit, which most of the conversion guides leave off for some strange reason. You'll also need a tap handle and tap oil, loctite for metal/metal threads, and a centerpunch--all of which you can get at hardware or auto parts stores. Be sure to read up on how to tap a hole if you've never done it before, or you'll end up breaking of the tap. Along with the bullet guide, you'll need to grind a little off the mag release catch.

Other than that, you are good to go. Unless you want to change out the foregrip and use a more traditional looking two piece setup, or mount the cleaning rod underneath.

Also:

http://www.stu-offroad.com/firearms/saiga/saiga-1.htm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XU96VbnSoTc&feature=PlayList&p=42C900DBD12C7C61&index=0&playnext=1

He's talking about converting a Saiga .308. He doesn't have to worry about a bullet guide, since there are no .308 AK mags.

• 4 months later...

Just did my 308 conversion.

I took a standard G2 and dremeled off the hump and BHO spot.. Or buy a Tromix FCG for $45 and avoid the dremel time..)

Then went to Home Depot and bought a 4pk of Crown Bolt Brand 6mm washers.. (which you place 1 over the right side of the trigger group SLEEVE to keep it centered..) Cost was $0.49.

post-8775-032670900 1280106737_thumb.jpg

This basically mimics Dinzags FCG.. and you save money..

The only other issue with a Tapco 2 is the RIGHT rear leg of the trigger may/may not catch the safety lever upon re-assembly so you may need to add a drop of weld to that side of the safety lever.. Mine did not need this..

Test with NO ammo MANY times.. to insure the safety works and you don't get a accidental discharge when you drop the safety lever off safe also..

We have kits also BTW.. Some have the Tromix FCG option..

http://accessoryarms...iewCat&catId=10

Hope this helps a little.

Albert

• Like 1
  • 4 weeks later...

jump in with both feet. it really is easier than it looks. did the 308 first and it was drop dead easy. i used the tromix g2 but the dinzag is high quality as well.

since i have a s12 410 (traded to my dad) and now a bone stock 20 to convert as soon as the trigger group comes in

Thanks, all, for the input! I've put my list together and I'm ready to order. I think I'll try making the trigger guard myself, or modifying the original one...$18 seems a lot for a small piece of stamped steel.

Ah, crap...I realized that stock wont work with the pistol grip. Guess I either gotta find another stock or lose the pistol grip.

post-23617-090794900 1282578826_thumb.jpg

Edited by Bingo