I need to have a moan,and air my frustration ,so here goes , Do you know that a 20 round .308 saiga mag will cost me $400 to buy ,how #&@%#$ bad is that,Damn it all ,anyway Thanks for listening,

That (I believe) may require an export license to ship from the US, so of course everyone along the way, has fees, taxes, markups etc. to deal with. Even if not, New Zealand may have federal (and state?) laws governing the import of these items. The price alone would certainly indicate that some sort of tariffs, laws, and controls are in place.

While it is regrettable that this is the price in New Zealand, I would not advise US forum members without an export license to offer to "help", as this may lead to unforeseen and unfortunate consequences for those good hear-ted souls who do not bother to THOROUGHLY research both US export laws, and New Zealand law governing the import of these items, as I believe the US and New Zealand may have criminal extradition, and other treaties and agreements in place.

A quick question (unrelated) for the OP. Does the New Zealand constitution contain a provision guaranteeing its citizens the right to keep and bear arms?

EDIT: A quick search on New Zealand gun laws revealed the following...

"Main article: Gun politics in New Zealand

New Zealand gun law is covered by the Arms Act 1983 and the Arms Regulations 1992. In order to own a firearm, a person must obtain a firearms license. These are issued by the police and enable holders to own and use sporting rifles, shotguns and ammunition. In order to obtain a license, applicants must pass a test on 'safe and responsible firearms use, ownership, and storage'. They must also be a 'fit and proper person' to hold a license, based on a background check, and the license may be revoked for a variety of reasons. A special license is required by dealers, collectors, pistol club members, and owners of certain semi-automatic firearms. Less than 3% of all firearms owners have such endorsements and they must comply with much more stringent conditions than sporting firearms license holders. When not in use firearms must be locked in a secure rack and cabinet.[2]"