sopmod, i'm not trying to disagree for fun but have you personally ever seen a chrome molly barel, or a chrome lined that was "shot out" and would not pass the bullet drop test,....i'm looking for this in an ar type weapon or something reasonable.....

i understand how your 223wssm could be shot out "quickly"

i just think about different millitary rifles that are shot to shit(some of the yugos and whatnot) dont have a "good" bore by visual inspection but shoot great......

and when asking about the stock i was refering to your malfunctions and the choice of stock/spring/buffer....

....you have to be careful picking a buffer, the 4-pos car stock usually would come with a buffer designed for an overgassed(super fast dwell) carbine and would be heavier....people will talk about the carbine buffer, h buffer and h2 buffer......and while i'm not tony rumore, i'm pretty sure your full length gas system would need a buffer lighter than the standard car buffer.....

buffer problems can cause the same sort of malfunctions you get with an undergassed gun......fail to lock back on last round.....rail to strip a new round (or bolt not going all the way back)

it might be worth investigating for you.....

and to the op one good thing about the ar platform for say shtf is the cheap russian ammo you can pick up has bi metal jackets , and if you have ever shot wolf 7.62x39 into something to stop it, and have seen the lack of "expansion" the .223 will have the same pros and cons......a pro being defeating 1/4 or a little thicker steel at 100 or so yards

sopmod, i'm not trying to disagree for fun but have you personally ever seen a chrome molly barel, or a chrome lined that was "shot out" and would not pass the bullet drop test,....i'm looking for this in an ar type weapon or something reasonable.....

I have seen a stainless barreled shorty NFA M16 shot out in a weekend, I have shot an unlined chromoly barrel that would keyhole after what we estimated was 3000-4000rds but the only Chrome Lined barrels I have seen shot out were on belt fed machineguns and surplus military parts kits(like a nice Romy RPK kit I almost bought)

If you don't plan on shooting it every weekend for the next 20 years you could use any barrel you wanted.

• 2 weeks later...

As a 20 year military vet who has used, abused, and depended on the M-16/M-4 family of weapons and a private owner of such along with several of the AK variety, I still would pick an AR over the AK for several reasons. Here's a couple.

1. It's more ergonomic easier to run. I've had training with foreign weapons both NATO and "Soviet " and I can run AK pretty fast. The M-4 is still my go to gun as I personally can run it much faster.

2. Accuracy still prevails over the AK. An out of the box RRA AR is still more accurate than a highly worked over AK.

Don't get me wrong, if SHTF and the only thing available ammo wise is 7.62/5.45x39 or 7.62 NATO, I'd pull out an appropriate rifle to use. Some argue 5.56 NATO lacks knock down power. It's all about shot placement folks. Think an AK-74 has more? Same goes for the old argument about 9mm vs any pistol caliber beginning with a ".4".

The comment was made regarding failures and shitty mags contributing to them...+1. We used mark our mags with our operator initials and a number for reference when experiencing a bad magazine. For example, if mag #4 keeps having issues, it gets pulled and stomped into the ground.

As far as the price and quality of an AR goes, you get what you pay for. NOT ALL ARE MILSPEC CARBINES! I'll post a link to a good chart regarding this when I get back to the house. If you are building one and not experienced, that could be a recipe for disaster BTW.

Edited by MT Predator
I have seen a stainless barreled shorty NFA M16 shot out in a weekend, I have shot an unlined chromoly barrel that would keyhole after what we estimated was 3000-4000rds but the only Chrome Lined barrels I have seen shot out were on belt fed machineguns and surplus military parts kits(like a nice Romy RPK kit I almost bought)If you don't plan on shooting it every weekend for the next 20 years you could use any barrel you wanted.

i have 2 questions....

your 3000-4000 round barrel, how long was it used for, how much time, what kind of cleaning?

and besides this one, have you ever seen a non nfa ar get shot out, with proper cleaning and maintenance....

sorry to say if my guns barrel was shot out after 3000 rounds i would be talking to the manufacturer...

I have seen a stainless barreled shorty NFA M16 shot out in a weekend, I have shot an unlined chromoly barrel that would keyhole after what we estimated was 3000-4000rds but the only Chrome Lined barrels I have seen shot out were on belt fed machineguns and surplus military parts kits(like a nice Romy RPK kit I almost bought)If you don't plan on shooting it every weekend for the next 20 years you could use any barrel you wanted.

i have 2 questions....

your 3000-4000 round barrel, how long was it used for, how much time, what kind of cleaning?

and besides this one, have you ever seen a non nfa ar get shot out, with proper cleaning and maintenance....

sorry to say if my guns barrel was shot out after 3000 rounds i would be talking to the manufacturer...

I've shot that much in one 5 day class with a military owned, Colt branded carbine. If the barrel was shot out of it, my armorers would have said so and replaced it pronto.

i guess its been a few days....but....

have you ever seen a normal civilian ar-15 shot out......

you said a full auto....then an m-16.......

have you ever seen a civilian ar that was shot out...non chrome lined barrel...

i guess it might be cocky to assume that the answer is no.....but your samples were a military colt(m16) and a full auto....

If that's your budget get a Bulgarian siderfolder from Arsenal. The only point at which AR's become "nicer" than AK's is when they get up to the 1000$-1200$ range, then its best just to save up some extra money and get a Sig 556. I don't like the way AR's shoot, they have a lot more felt recoil than an AK of the same caliber for some reason.