New owner questions

I tradxed for a Saiga 12 ga yesterday. It has the 22" barrel. Is it feasible to cut it to 19" and thread it to take chokes. I read about the outside threaded choke adapters or is inside standard type chokes the way to go? I do not plan to convert the gun but would like the abilty to change chokes. Thoughts

Welcome to the forum. :beer:

Going12220 is probably right in that it'll likely cost more to have the barrel cut, threaded and fit with chokes than to see if you can find someone willing to swap you out for a 19" already threaded, then just buy the external choke(s).

But if you can't find someone to do that, you can just take the S12 to a reputable gunsmith and see what they'd charge to cut your barrel and internally thread it for internal chokes. Probably in the $75 to $100 range I'm guessing, but I've never had that done so I could be way off.

I don't see a huge advantage to either internal or external myself. The polychoke is adjustable without having to remove anything. The internal are more streamlined.

Corbin

I tradxed for a Saiga 12 ga yesterday. It has the 22" barrel. Is it feasible to cut it to 19" and thread it to take chokes. I read about the outside threaded choke adapters or is inside standard type chokes the way to go? I do not plan to convert the gun but would like the abilty to change chokes. Thoughts

If you cut it to 19" You'll need to drift the gas block & add a port.

Dinzag will rent you the thread die, but people have screwed him before, so you'll need to place a deposit to cover the cost of the threading kit if you screw it up.

Just some thoughts.

If you have adequate tools & time to read the forum, it should be simple.

Thanks for the ideas. I shot it this weekend and was impressed with my pattern as it is. I have not decided what I will do or heck I may leave it totally stock. It came with a 10 rd promag which fed with no problem once I figured a few things out. Thanks again, ya'll gave me much to think about.

I have wondered if standard external threads could be cut on the barrel before shortening it. Run the die down to a little past where you want to cut it ( 3/4" ?). You could even use a muzzle nut as a guide in order to file the barrel nice and straight after you cut it. Bad idea? or what. I've been wanting to take my barrel down to 18 1/8".... just because.

I suppose you COULD do that. Assuming your barrel nut/thread protector has a square edge, it might help you file it square. My thread protector isn't square though. The threads are, but the end of the protector is not. Yours might be.