I had recently sold my Saiga 223 conversion to pay some surgery bills. I was bemoaning being AK-less, when I was in my buddy's shop looking at an IO AK47-C he had gotten in from Davidson's. It has a Mossberg 4 groove barrel, Hardened US made receiver (Elk River, I think), Tapco G2 FCG, all US made except bolt carrier and top cover. It had Tapco furniture (but that could be easily remedied with a $25 set of APEX Bulgarian wood). He has had it awhile, even though he has been selling WASRs like hotcakes. He said most non-AK people don't know IO, but know WASRs. The fit and finish (blued, not painted) was great. DImples, snug mag fit. A first rate build, and no 922r issues.

I did some research on the IO, all of it favorable when it comes to guns made after the shift to US made parts. Mossberg barrels giving sub-2 MOA. I also had to convinced the doctor that a 7.62x39 could be fired with the butt on my nose (his criteria for what my rebuilt shoulder can take, and what my wife considers gospel).

I noticed he had no .223 on hand in the shop at the time. As I still had almost 2000 rounds of M193 brass cased US made ammo, I asked he was interested in some horse trading. To make a long story short, I ended up (between trading and selling) brass 223 ammo, selling 223 AK and 30 round GI M1 carbine mags, etc. I got the IO AK47-C and 1,000 of Barnaul 124 JSP! I then ordered a 5 pack of milsurp mags for $40 and Bulgarian wood, $25, from APEX, and I am back in business. With the APEX wood on it and the slant brake, it is a classic AKM. It came with what I think is a new RPK sling. wider and longer, gray, but still has AK snap end. It is long enough to wear like an over the shoulder patrol sling.

I like 7.62x39 better than 223 anyway! The only reason I traded my 7.62x39 AK for the 223 after the surgery, was because of my crappy shoulder and the limitations the Dr. put on me that my wife swore to enforce!

I know it is not a Saiga, but these new US made IO use Mossberg and Green Mountain barrels. Not chrome lined, but accurate. I will post pics after I refinish the stock.

Glad to read your back with a AK, and glad your now able to shoot and enjoy it. I also have two ARs and lots of 5.56/.223 Ammo. But I now have three AKs in 7.62x39 that I really enjoy shooting, and with the price of 5.56/.223 Ammo. being out of sight. It's was a easy choice to get into the AK.

Let us know how it shoots and what you think about it. :killer:

Edited by rifleshooter474

I LOVE it and can't wait to fire it. Retail om my IO from the dealer was $575.00. He said he pays about $125 to $150 more than dealer cost on a WASR. It is well worth the extra money over a WASR as it is mostly American made a WELL done. Even the front and rear trunnions are US made and well machined. Have your dealer check with different wholesaler's. Mine came from Davidsons.

It had a Tapco folding stock and SAW grip and the proprietary IO handguard with a rail molded on the bottom. All dark earth. I replaced it with an APEX Bulgarian AK74 wood set with Bulgarian poly brown grip. I have the Tapco stuff I took off for sale on E-PAY.

It is a 1mm receiver with dimples, all dark blued with no parkerizing or paint. There is no side rail (which I didn't want, as I don't use anything but iron anyway). It is a Model AK470009 that is not listed in their catalog, I believe it may have been one made up to Davidson's specs, since it came from them. It came with a hang tag saying "American Made" though the carrier and top cover are almost certainly import with partial serial numbers on them.

I read that Elk River is making their receivers, but I am not sure.

Their customer service is good, too. It came without the cleaning rod, so I called and I had a new, correct cleaning rod in the mail 3 days later.

I also had to convinced the doctor that a 7.62x39 could be fired with the butt on my nose (his criteria for what my rebuilt shoulder can take, and what my wife considers gospel).

Did you ever consider learning to shoot left-handed? I know from experience that the left hand can be trained to do given tasks that the right hand normally does, equally as well.

Edited by Jim Digriz

Rangemaster, how many times have you gone back and forth between the two calibers? Trying to remember but it seems like 4 or 5 times...or is it more? You've done at least 3 conversions, right?

Not trying to pick on you, but maybe we should pass the hat so you can keep one of each. Hate to think of all those conversions slipping away from you...not to mention the brass, dies and reloading components.

At any rate, I'm glad to hear you're cleared for the x39 again. Like Jim says, working on your left hand shooting might keep you in business with this gun. Learning to shoot them well is almost as much fun as trading and building.

Bob

Actually started with a 223 Saiga because I couldn't get a 7.62 a couple years ago. Then switched to 7.62s (tried several had non dimpled and wanted dimpled, etc)and was unemployed on FMLA leave for the surgery for 10 weeks and had to thin the heard, then went back to .223 after the second surgery this winter because the doctor was convinced a 7.62 was to much for the trashed shoulder. Convinced him I could do 7.62x39 so switched back. After having been a gun dealer for 25 years, I am just too used to incoming and outgoing firearms! My best friend owning a gunshop makes it too easy!

555JM,

I admit that I have always been a gun trading junkie. That is why I had an FFL for 25 years. When a financial pinch arises (it is hell getting old and having health issues), I can always liquidate something, and I always know I can wheel and deal another gun to replace it: i.e. I needed $$$ for left over med bills from the shoulder rebuild, so I liquidated the 223 Saiga. That left me with lots of expensive .223 ammo and .223 brass and accessories, which gave me the opportunity to trade switch back to my preferred 7.62x39 (after fibbing to the doctor) and be bucks ahead for bills. When I was a young buck like you guys, I did the same with cars!

I do have some weapons that are non-expendable, though:

1) 10-22 Ruger (walnut stock) given to me by my wife 38 years ago in 1972.

2) Universal 101 single shot 12 ga Christmas present from my parents in 1968.

3) CBC single shot .410 bought for my son in 1980

4) Marlin 336 .30-30 bought for my son in 1988

5) Glock 19 9mm I bought in 1994 and carried as a Duty weapon and is my current carry weapon

6) S&W Model 29-2 8 3/8" Blue Magnaported .44 Magnum I got from my cousin. He is older and the one who taught me to shoot, and got me into Law Enforcement (He is a retired Fed).

7) USGI M1 carbine I got directly from the US Government through the CMP program. My dad carried an M1 Carbine on Iwo Jima in WW2.

So this may help explain the pschy of an old gun trader. Make opportunities out of situations that arise.

555JM,

I admit that I have always been a gun trading junkie. That is why I had an FFL for 25 years. When a financial pinch arises (it is hell getting old and having health issues), I can always liquidate something, and I always know I can wheel and deal another gun to replace it: i.e. I needed $$$ for left over med bills from the shoulder rebuild, so I liquidated the 223 Saiga. That left me with lots of expensive .223 ammo and .223 brass and accessories, which gave me the opportunity to trade switch back to my preferred 7.62x39 (after fibbing to the doctor) and be bucks ahead for bills. When I was a young buck like you guys, I did the same with cars!

I do have some weapons that are non-expendable, though:

1) 10-22 Ruger (walnut stock) given to me by my wife 38 years ago in 1972.

2) Universal 101 single shot 12 ga Christmas present from my parents in 1968.

3) CBC single shot .410 bought for my son in 1980

4) Marlin 336 .30-30 bought for my son in 1988

5) Glock 19 9mm I bought in 1994 and carried as a Duty weapon and is my current carry weapon

6) S&W Model 29-2 8 3/8" Blue Magnaported .44 Magnum I got from my cousin. He is older and the one who taught me to shoot, and got me into Law Enforcement (He is a retired Fed).

7) USGI M1 carbine I got directly from the US Government through the CMP program. My dad carried an M1 Carbine on Iwo Jima in WW2.

So this may help explain the pschy of an old gun trader. Make opportunities out of situations that arise.

I sure can relate to your having to sell and trade and if not for some needed cash just enjoying it.

I like buying new guns, and trading stuff.

I like your list of one's you wont part with, I have a few myself, some guns are more than guns!

Not a Saiga, but...

Here the IO with the Tapco furniture replaced with Bulgarian AK74 wood set from APEX, FSE Russian grenade launcher recoil pad, RPK sling, Hungarian 5 cell mag pouch, and Romanian bayonet. With a Mossberg 4 groove barrel, it is a shooter, too!

IOAK.jpg

I predict that rifle will turn into a saiga before the years end... :super:

Shit, I hope so. I am very glad to hear that you've returned to favoring the 7.62x39, (the caliber the AK was designed for), rangemaster, but I've seen very mixed reviews of those IO rifles. I'd much rather have a Russian rifle.

ymmv.

Edited by post-apocalyptic

You could be right, Sal.... Guntradingitus is a disease!

Its a disorder I suffer from as well!

:lolol::lolol::lolol:

I predict that rifle will turn into a saiga before the years end... :super:

Shit, I hope so. I am very glad to hear that you've returned to favoring the 7.62x39, (the caliber the AK was designed for), rangemaster, but I've seen very mixed reviews of those IO rifles. I'd much rather have a Russian rifle.

ymmv.

The problems ive read about on I/O is their mix match of receivers and barrels used don't fit all to well with the kits they bought from Cugir. Rangemaster's AK looks like he dodged the bullet on the barrel and their is only minor gaping at the front trunnion. The rear space between the cover and the brace at the rear trunnion looks a bit to wide as well, but assuming there is no jiggle-action going on, I'd say this will be a fun rifle (slant brakes are cool looking with wood)!